Seabourn Odyssey - Restaurant

Jeni

Just think about all the fun & frolics you'll enjoy in two decades!

Sail on ~!:p

MB

Oh no worries, we younger wage slave cruisers still manage fun and frolic. It's those damned vacation policies that get in our way. I have to watch others sailing off on the really exotic cruises with jealousy while I can barely escape for two consecutive weeks.

But really, maybe it's the "seasoned" cruisers who should be jealous... We'll have many more years to still enjoy the line! ;)

I personally like to choose my own fruit from the buffet, but otherwise generally order from the wait staff. Has Emperor Norton ever been on a Seabourn ship?
I like to choose my fruit myself too, but I am also OCD about the specific doneness of my english muffin when ordering eggs benedict. So when ordering EB I ask them to hold the muffin and I head to the toaster oven and do it myself. :D

May I repeat what has been said before about the Colonnade restaurant - there is absolutely no need to go to the buffet. A waiter will approach you as soon as you sit down, first with coffee (we have ours later, being Brits) and you can then say that you would like your juice, first course, full breakfast etc. etc. to be brought to you.

I personally like to choose my own fruit from the buffet, but otherwise generally order from the wait staff. Has Emperor Norton ever been on a Seabourn ship?

Check my signature or and see whether or not I've been on a Seabourn ship:rolleyes:

Reasons for booking a Transatlantic Crossing ~ all dining rooms open, breakfast, lunch and dinner:D Plus enjoying seasoned Sailors aboard:D

Martita B

That was the best part of leaving the Caribbean for the last time on the Pride - no more silly restaurant closures.

You will not only have to dismiss Seabourn, you will have to dismiss cruising because all luxury lines have buffets at breakfast and lunch.

Really? I missed being forced into a breakfast buffet on my Regent, Silversea and Crystal cruises. Granted it took 45 minutes to get toast on Regent.

Seasoned cruisers do not generally do seven day cruises or B2B,there is always a different feel to these trips and the staff do not perform as well as they do on a longer trip.

But sometimes we combine cruises that have seven day segments and then discover the above:(

I like to choose my fruit myself too, but I am also OCD about the specific doneness of my english muffin when ordering eggs benedict. So when ordering EB I ask them to hold the muffin and I head to the toaster oven and do it myself. :D

Interesting. Have you ever toasted the muffin yourself and then sent it to the kitchen to have the eggs/cb/sauce added?

I am guessing that food handled by a passenger would not be allowed into the kitchen for hygiene management reasons. Maybe that's why nola has order the eggs etc and then engineer her benedict.

Happy sailing!

Interesting. Have you ever toasted the muffin yourself and then sent it to the kitchen to have the eggs/cb/sauce added?

I am guessing that food handled by a passenger would not be allowed into the kitchen for hygiene management reasons. Maybe that's why nola has order the eggs etc and then engineer her benedict.

Happy sailing!

No I have never sent the toast back to the kitchen and agree that they probably wouldn't accept it either. I am fine being my own assembler.

Happy sailing!

The used plates laden with partially eaten food go back into the kitchen. I was thinking more of sending the properly toasted muffin back as a 'this is how it should be' example.

Sent via squirrels and a rotary phone

No, actually the soiled dishes go to the dishwasher and not food prep or staging areas. Seabourn doesn't recycle food or feed pets on board.

Happy sailing!

The dishwasher area is still part of the kitchen. I wasn't implying that food go back to the prep area.

The dishwasher area is still part of the kitchen. I wasn't implying that food go back to the prep area.

Come on guys,this is now getting silly.

Food comes out of the kitchen for the guest to consume it does not work the other way around.

If a guest is fussy then they can fart about with the food that has been set out at the buffet and throw it on the floor and stamp on it if that is how they prefer it to be.

The splitting hairs is silly. Trying to teach the kitchen how to properly toast things not so much.

But a breakfast buffet does have a toaster so that the particular guest can get just the right amount of colour on their bread if they so wish.

I guess that people have different ideas of how "toasted" should be.

Perhaps they should have a colour chart on the table so that you can get the right shade :D

Edited by Mr Luxury

But a breakfast buffet does have a toaster so that the particular guest can get just the right amount of colour on their bread if they so wish.

I guess that people have different ideas of how "toasted" should be.

Perhaps they should have a colour chart on the table so that you can get the right shade :D

I'd take that on the little sisters. Though i suppose I need to try a bigger sister.

• 1 year later...

Is it Seabourn, Holland America or Carnival who resist requests to always open the MDR for lunch on the three Seabourn ships? We now note that the dining room is often closed for breakfast too. All Seabourn publicity states that the MDR is open for breakfast lunch and dinner which is simply not the case on more and more of their cruises. Six star service should be about choice, no matter the length of the cruise, the climate nor whether five or fifty guests use the dining room. At Seabourn prices guests should have the choice, if they so wish, not to have to scramble for a table and a buffet. Is this two star treatment the result of a reduction of the guest/crew ratio of which Seabourn is so proud? It is such a pity as everything else about Seabourn certainly deserves their high rating.