Seabourn Odyssey - Restaurant

i was on the sojourn for a week

daily closure of MDR for breakfast and lunch

i was told ; we shall open it for the crossing :eek:

it that acceptable on a said to be luxury line ?

compulsory buffets twice a day ?

While I completely agree with the premise, ie MDR should be open breakfast and lunch, I have to point out that it's simply not true that the alternative is "compulsory buffets twice a day".

Guests can of course order full table service at both breakfast and lunch. At breakfast in The Colonnade I never go to the serving stations, I order at the table and it's served to me at the table.

While I completely agree with the premise, ie MDR should be open breakfast and lunch, I have to point out that it's simply not true that the alternative is "compulsory buffets twice a day".

Guests can of course order full table service at both breakfast and lunch. At breakfast in The Colonnade I never go to the serving stations, I order at the table and it's served to me at the table.

OK but you cannot deny the Main Dining Room is a nicer environment as the Colonnade . nicer seatings , light colours ...

SB was doing the closing down in 2010 as well, and then they gave up the policy for a while and started again in early summer this year.

On page 32 of the pre cruise informatioen Seabourn clearly does write

The Restaurant : Like fine restaurants ashore , ours features an elegant open-seating arrangement for breakfast lunch and dinner.

So Seabourn simply does give false and lying information to kooked passengers.

I immediately did cancel my furhter bookings on SB.

In my opinion SB became a polished Hal wrapped in a nice gift paper ( free drinks and better services said better waiting staff )however with a big sticker from C ( all the cutbacks )

Hopefully you'll write Seabourn a nice Dear John letter explaining why you cancelled your upcoming cruises.

i am working on it but as English is my third language the time i do need for the writing of it tooks longer

however the offices for Belgium and the Netherlands already were asking for a reason ...

the loyalty by some passengers for the favourite cruise line is quite immense , it seems

also a person with stripes did refer to the quite very well booking aside the higher fares - but also i did receive specials for 2016 in the Medit???

It has been amusing to see how all the Seabourn cheerleaders and apologists have tried to downplay this issue. Pointing out the various alternatives to the MDR that one has at breakfast and lunch.

Simply put, it is laughable to claim any cruise line is luxurious when they are too cheap to provide breakfast and lunch in their MDR. Even though all their marketing materials clearly state the MDR is open for all three meals. Shameful, really.

But frankly, not at all surprising. Any objective person can clearly see all the over the top cost cutting Seabourn is engaged in. It won't surprise me in the least if breakfast on Seabourn soon becomes a granola bar and a bottle of water as they usher you to your "luxurious" shuttle bus excursions.

It has been amusing to see how all the Seabourn cheerleaders and apologists have tried to downplay this issue. Pointing out the various alternatives to the MDR that one has at breakfast and lunch.

Simply put, it is laughable to claim any cruise line is luxurious when they are too cheap to provide breakfast and lunch in their MDR. Even though all their marketing materials clearly state the MDR is open for all three meals. Shameful, really.

But frankly, not at all surprising. Any objective person can clearly see all the over the top cost cutting Seabourn is engaged in. It won't surprise me in the least if breakfast on Seabourn soon becomes a granola bar and a bottle of water as they usher you to your "luxurious" shuttle bus excursions.

Thanks for that bit of insight. Enjoy your next cruise on whatever line fits your needs.

OK but you cannot deny the Main Dining Room is a nicer environment as the Colonnade . nicer seatings , light colours ...

SB was doing the closing down in 2010 as well, and then they gave up the policy for a while and started again in early summer this year.

I don't deny it. I completely agree with you. I don't mind the Colonnade but the MDR is calmer and more elegant and sometimes at breakfast and lunch, that's what I prefer. I want a choice, that's the thing.

I simply wanted to clarify your comment about compulsory buffet because anyone who is new to Seabourn may read that and not realise that they can have full table service if they prefer it.

I think it's an awful decision, but so far I've only been affected by it on one cruise, which was a 7 day Med cruise with a port stop every day.

All previous cruises with SB the MDR has been open for breakfast and lunch every day.

I'm concerned that this may be just the start and at some point (soon?) we may find that MDR isn't open for breakfast and lunch even on the longer cruises. Especially as you point out that they tried this in 2010 too.

I'm also one of the so called SB cheerleaders who completely disagrees with the policy of closing the MDR for breakfast and lunch. I don't care how few passengers use it or how many extra staff they would need to service it, when I pay these prices I want what I want when I want it. It's up to me to make the choice, not SB.

I'm also one of the so called SB cheerleaders who completely disagrees with the policy of closing the MDR for breakfast and lunch. I don't care how few passengers use it or how many extra staff they would need to service it, when I pay these prices I want what I want when I want it. It's up to me to make the choice, not SB.

i agree with you - in 2010 i took the case up to head office and i did receive a lot a trying to reply all aside the point : saying that the food in the Colonnade was also good and that service was also decent

in 2010 it was an horrible hotel director who left SB, now it was one of the "old hands" however i gave my opinion about the daily closing to the maitre d' h and as from that moment the hotel director avoided me as quick as possible

Geez Louise! It's not that bad!

But when you pay "these prices", are you referring to the current prices which presumably reflect operating reality for the ships at present?

I'm not willing to see my personal fares go up to subsidize having the MDR open for breakfast and lunch on port days so that a handful of guests can use it. I still plan to utilize it on some of the many sea days on my upcoming sailing. But when the ship is in port, I'll be enjoying local cuisine or admiring the views from one of the Deck 8 venues.

Nigella & Others: We were talking about your postings over dinner tonight. It's interesting, like so many others, you have shopped around, and at this time in your lives you have found something that works for you, Seabourn! And now it is changing, and that is hard. And some of the changes are not acceptable, and not what you are willing to pay for. On our long Seabourn cruise we met one woman who said in the face of adversity, "I am too old to invest in another cruise line." This is not to say that you are in the same space as her, and certainly not as rigid as she was. But her plea was heartfelt, and I hear your concern. We are somewhat lucky in that we still shop for the best fit for us, itineraries and price. And we love our land-based travel...we are currently in Barcelona for 45 days and having an amazing time discovering. But someday soon we may be shopping for the best cruise line that meets our needs and tastes. I hope that we are as successful as you and find the right one. Seabourn is not it so far for us, although we adore many of its features. I hope these abrupt changes do not disrupt your holidays too much and that you can find the right place to be happy. It may mean shopping around again, alas. It may mean compromising all those perks, alas.

Nigella & Others: We were talking about your postings over dinner tonight. It's interesting, like so many others, you have shopped around, and at this time in your lives you have found something that works for you, Seabourn! And now it is changing, and that is hard. And some of the changes are not acceptable, and not what you are willing to pay for. On our long Seabourn cruise we met one woman who said in the face of adversity, "I am too old to invest in another cruise line." This is not to say that you are in the same space as her, and certainly not as rigid as she was. But her plea was heartfelt, and I hear your concern. We are somewhat lucky in that we still shop for the best fit for us, itineraries and price. And we love our land-based travel...we are currently in Barcelona for 45 days and having an amazing time discovering. But someday soon we may be shopping for the best cruise line that meets our needs and tastes. I hope that we are as successful as you and find the right one. Seabourn is not it so far for us, although we adore many of its features. I hope these abrupt changes do not disrupt your holidays too much and that you can find the right place to be happy. It may mean shopping around again, alas. It may mean compromising all those perks, alas.

Great post, tv24, Thank you!

I don't understand what "I'm too old to invest in another cruise line" means. Is she planning to buy it or just spend a couple of weeks onboard?

I think it was in reference to the loyalty programme.

As a mere silver member barely into double digits my only benefits are a choice from having my underpants washed, $20 off a $400 internet package or a much more enjoyable free 25 minute massage which actually costs you $80 by the time you top it up to 50 minutes :)

Fortunately for me unlike Royal Caribbean on Seabourn you don't need the sanctuary of a Diamond or concierge lounge to escape the madding crowd because there isn't one. Everyone enjoys complimentary pre-dinner drinks and officer drinks gatherings (attended by some poor unfortunate underlings on RC) are immaterial when you see the key players on a daily basis.

We worked our way up the Royal Caribbean ladder then found Seabourn. If you think there is a better offering than Seabourn then go for it and post up a review so we can all give it a go.

Otherwise......

Henry :)

I don't understand what "I'm too old to invest in another cruise line" means. Is she planning to buy it or just spend a couple of weeks onboard?

Free internet and laundry are nice and all but perhaps she has several free cruises coming to her (if thats possible to bank those). Perhaps its a personal connection with some of the crew so that each time she sails she knows at least some of the staff on board and doesn't want to have to make new friends on a different line.

Benefits like laundry and internet are very nice but certainly not what I would base a decision on as to which cruise line to sail. I guess I just don't understand all this carping and whining going on here. The best way to avoid things with which you are unhappy is to go elsewhere.

I'm not willing to see my personal fares go up to subsidize having the MDR open for breakfast and lunch on port days so that a handful of guests can use it.

I guess one could also say, "I'm not willing to see my personal fares go up to subsidize better house wines.":p

Either Seabourn has reduced staff headcount or the staffing utilization model has changed (more likely) - the MDR used to be open 3x day.

I guess one could also say, "I'm not willing to see my personal fares go up to subsidize better house wines.":p

Correct... I think that despite occasional whining about wine here from some that there are definitely good selections on the list. I don't like them all but I've nebrr had a problem requesting what I do prefer. I don't want to subsidize Krug for all.

Just back from the Odyssey Transatlantic Spain to Florida. MDR was open for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. Maybe this only happens on cruises with so many consecutive sea days but the issue isn't a deal breaker for us either way. First world problem. You're not going to starve.

It is not a matter of starving or not.

It is a matter of getting what you paid for. It is a matter of getting what Seabourn advertises as your cruise experience and then fails to deliver. It is a matter of meeting minimal industry standards. If HAL can somehow manage to operate the MDR every day for every meal, why can't Seabourn manage? If bottom of the barrel cruise lines like Carnival can afford to operate their MDR for every meal, why can't the wonderfully stupendous "luxury" line Seabourn?

Name another major cruise line that routinely closes the MDR for any meal. What a joke of a company.

If Seabourn regulars don't push back and push back hard, who knows what else they may decide to cut. Worse yet, these terrible decisions may carry over to other cruise lines when their bean counters see how much money was saved.

I have refrained from adding my two cents to this thread -- hoping in part that as with other threads that attract emotional comments ( smoking, children, dress code) this one would just exhaust itself and die out as the same comments are repeated over and over. But as I feel the bulk of the comments have been from those who are are unhappy with anything other than a 24/7 MDR I feel it only fair to balance that viewpoint with another perspective. In 14 years on Seabourn averaging one or two breakfasts/lunch per cruise in the MDR I can honestly say I have never seem more than a handful of tables occupied. And given the amount of staff they have allocated to keeping the room open to serve these few I frankly feel it just does not make good business sense. I applaud the Hotel Manager adjusting opening based on specific issues and circumstances on a cruise by cruise basis. As far I am concerned it rarely makes sense for the room to be open when in port. I don't do transatlantic cruises but I can see some rationale for opening on those sea days to avoid overcrowding in the Colonade. And finally I am sorry but I somehow miss the connection some have tried to draw between the strategic closure of the MDR with a decline in the Seabourn luxury experience. And I certainly think some are getting carried away with the doom and gloom scenario that suggests this marks the beginning of the end of Seabourn as we know ( and love) it and it will not be long before it is indistinguishable from the Carnival mega ships. My opinion --- just sayin!