Seabourn Odyssey - Restaurant

I have refrained from adding my two cents to this thread -- hoping in part that as with other threads that attract emotional comments ( smoking, children, dress code) this one would just exhaust itself and die out as the same comments are repeated over and over. But as I feel the bulk of the comments have been from those who are are unhappy with anything other than a 24/7 MDR I feel it only fair to balance that viewpoint with another perspective. In 14 years on Seabourn averaging one or two breakfasts/lunch per cruise in the MDR I can honestly say I have never seem more than a handful of tables occupied. And given the amount of staff they have allocated to keeping the room open to serve these few I frankly feel it just does not make good business sense. I applaud the Hotel Manager adjusting opening based on specific issues and circumstances on a cruise by cruise basis. As far I am concerned it rarely makes sense for the room to be open when in port. I don't do transatlantic cruises but I can see some rationale for opening on those sea days to avoid overcrowding in the Colonade. And finally I am sorry but I somehow miss the connection some have tried to draw between the strategic closure of the MDR with a decline in the Seabourn luxury experience. And I certainly think some are getting carried away with the doom and gloom scenario that suggests this marks the beginning of the end of Seabourn as we know ( and love) it and it will not be long before it is indistinguishable from the Carnival mega ships. My opinion --- just sayin!

I agree with this comment.

I know there will be those who condemn me as a Seabourn cheerleader but I do acknowledge that Seabourn is not perfect. We have encountered problems on cruises and some cruises have been better then others. However the overall experience and the crew keep us coming back.

When we want a quiet seat in the Colonnade we eat around the side and we order off the menu. I also rarely find the MDR utilised especially on port intensive cruises.

All this doom and gloom regarding the TK menu before it is properly rolled out is amazing. It is good to give feedback but the predictions of the world as we know it coming to an end are a bit dramatic. I have been on board when they have tried new things and they asked for constructive feedback and I think we should focus on that.

Julie

From my perspective - choice in and of itself can be a luxury (extreme example: 1980s American supermarket v. 1980s Soviet options for the average person). If you were comparing apples to apples some people would probably still complain about the closure - but I'm guessing not as many. However, comparing a sitdown restaurant with table service to a cafeteria that also offers table service isn't an apples to apples comparison.

No matter how good the food or impeccable the service in a cafeteria is, it still has some key differences from a traditional sit down restaurant. First is aroma. Due to food being out in the open (and some of it heated) there will be certain lingering scents not present in a sit down restaurant. Second you have traffic. Due to people serving themselves there is more likely to be increased foot traffic around your table (or worse, lines going by your table). This can be distracting and doesn't lend itself to relaxation. Further those people walking by aren't always healthy, and sometimes will cough or sneeze in your direction without making any effort to cover the blast. Third, those unhealthy people will cough and sneeze near/around the food as well. Those guards only cover so much and dont help if Typhoid Mary coughs into her hand then reaches in and grabs something barehanded. Perhaps just a serving utensil. In a similar vein there are those who do the same without washing their hands after using the restroom (oddly the biggest eaters of Skybar cookies which they grab with their bare hands :eek:). Fourth is a byproduct of traffic - extra noise. Again not a good thing if trying to relax or have a quiet conversation.

The examples are a bit extreme but they could be why some find the closure of the restaurant a loss of luxury.

But if this was really that important to most Seabourn customers there would be more people dining in the MDR. And as my experience has clearly shown it has not been popular and yet these people keep booking Seabourn cruises. Thus I would have to conclude that most do not equate luxury with breakfast or lunch in the MDR.

I agree completely with Chairsin's posts.

However, in order for this topic not to run and run like smoking etc., the policy needs to be clear. If Seabourn say in their literature/website that the DR will be open for breakfast and lunch, then it should be. And that should apply to all ships at all times, since it seems to be very important to a few people. Otherwise, they could change their policy to say that on 'select' days etc. - their usual weasel words for not making a commitment. Although we always have breakfast and lunch in the Colonnade, partly because on most days the weather is good enough to eat outside, I do feel that on sea days there should definitely be a choice.

Does this make sense?

But if this was really that important to most Seabourn customers there would be more people dining in the MDR. And as my experience has clearly shown it has not been popular and yet these people keep booking Seabourn cruises. Thus I would have to conclude that most do not equate luxury with breakfast or lunch in the MDR.

Without wishing to enter a debate about what constitutes " luxury " ( eg one man's meat is another man's poisson), could I respectfully opine that the issue is actually about CHOICE.

And why?

Well, please look at Seabourn's own desription of their "luxury" product which inter alia includes the following-

DINING - " Dining experience defined by choice. Choice of dining venue to suit your mood of the moment..."

THE RESTAURANT - " The Restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner inviting guests to dine when , where and with whom they wish"

To me this is quit clear and unequivocal. I give Seabourn a fistful of dollars ( well pounds actually) so that I can buy a luxury experience that affords me the ultimate luxury - CHOICE.

Ergo, for so long as Seaboun chooses to advertise Breakfast and Lunch in the MDR in its promotional material, it should honour that contract.

It will then be my choice whether to have breakfast or lunch there ,not Seabourn's and I will have got what I paid handsomely for.

Anyone care to debate what constitute " fine wines included" ? - Sorry straying off-topic again.

I hope my post, 304, might encourage Seabourn to do the decent thing and alter their advertising or their policy.

Re 'fine wines' - no of course they are not, nor are they on any other all inclusive line I have cruised with. We always find a few whites and reds of reasonable quality - the sort of thing which sells in the UK for £6 to £8 - and stick to those. Having travelled recently on Regent, I can say that the wines actually offered by the wine servers, who seem to know nothing about them, are in fact inferior to those on Seabourn, and it was a struggle to get anything better.

I hope my post, 304, might encourage Seabourn to do the decent thing and alter their advertising or their policy.

Re 'fine wines' - no of course they are not, nor are they on any other all inclusive line I have cruised with. We always find a few whites and reds of reasonable quality - the sort of thing which sells in the UK for £6 to £8 - and stick to those. Having travelled recently on Regent, I can say that the wines actually offered by the wine servers, who seem to know nothing about them, are in fact inferior to those on Seabourn, and it was a struggle to get anything better.

Thankyou.

Personally, I would rather they did the decent thing and just deliver what they advertise ( and I am paying for!)

As to fine wines, of course I concur. My challenge on our last cruise, admittedly 2 years ago, was to extract a copy of the "free pour" wine list from the Sommellier so that I could make an informed choice. After denying that such a list existed she finally relented : but it was a hard won battle. The list was very helpful both to me in teasing out a few gems and to Seabourn staff in not having to bring me a succession of wines to try.

Sante.

Edited by MARIANH

We were considering Seabourn as a option to Crystal. From what I have read about the dining options for B/L and false advertising we are no longer considering this line. Crystal keeps the MDR open for B/L no matter how many people go and other great options for dining during these times. That is full service luxury in my eyes. Crystal is well known for its culinary offerings and specialty restaurants.

When you are paying a high price for a true luxury experience you expect what they advertise. Shame on Seabourn.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion about Seabourn of course. However, those of us who prefer the line over any other are perhaps more inclined to regard this as one of the few things we disapprove of but can live with, when comparing with the other lines - and we have tried almost all, though admittedly not Crystal. This is partly because I could not willingly cope with the restrictions on dining in the dining room on board, with set times or what sounds like a bit of a lottery for the choosing your dining time option. Nothing in life is perfect!

I repeat, the MDR was open for breakfast, lunch and dinner on our recent Odyssey transatlantic trip. However, the service was often very slow.

I TA is different from a regular cruise. Because no one is off in ports everyone is on board and therefore more people use the MDR at lunch, and for a more leisurely breakfast as well.

I would certainly agree that Seabourn could do everyone a favor by clarifying this issue in their brochure.

What I have trouble with is equating choice with luxury. By that yardstick you would have to say that all of these Megashipoftheaeas with their dozens of restaurants are more luxurious ships.. One of the finest restaurants at which I dine is a tiny spots with only a few entree options each night. I would not consider the chain restaurants nearby with a phone book sized menu to be more luxurious.

Without wishing to enter a debate about what constitutes " luxury " ( eg one man's meat is another man's poisson), could I respectfully opine that the issue is actually about CHOICE.

And why?

Well, please look at Seabourn's own desription of their "luxury" product which inter alia includes the following-

DINING - " Dining experience defined by choice. Choice of dining venue to suit your mood of the moment..."

THE RESTAURANT - " The Restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner inviting guests to dine when , where and with whom they wish"

To me this is quit clear and unequivocal. I give Seabourn a fistful of dollars ( well pounds actually) so that I can buy a luxury experience that affords me the ultimate luxury - CHOICE.

Ergo, for so long as Seaboun chooses to advertise Breakfast and Lunch in the MDR in its promotional material, it should honour that contract.

It will then be my choice whether to have breakfast or lunch there ,not Seabourn's and I will have got what I paid handsomely for.

Anyone care to debate what constitute " fine wines included" ? - Sorry straying off-topic again.

i agree with you in full -

concerning the wines : complimentary : Crystal does better as SB

SB does better as SS

the non complimenary wine list is better and cheaper on SS , but does focus on Europe

313 (314 now) posts later and we've hit the wall. No one can agree on a definition of luxury.

I think it would be most useful if we just started one master thread for all people who refuse to sail with Seabourn anymore because of (fill-in-the-blank): MDR closures, smoking policies, children, selling the little sisters, creating the Encore class, no longer offering XYZ itinerary, downgrading the dress code, serving swill wine, or forcing people to dress at all.

The rest of us can then have a place to enjoy our mutual appreciation of the line as it exists in 2015 and not have to weed through all the muck.

313 (314 now) posts later and we've hit the wall. No one can agree on a definition of luxury.

I think it would be most useful if we just started one master thread for all people who refuse to sail with Seabourn anymore because of (fill-in-the-blank): MDR closures, smoking policies, children, selling the little sisters, creating the Encore class, no longer offering XYZ itinerary, downgrading the dress code, serving swill wine, or forcing people to dress at all.

The rest of us can then have a place to enjoy our mutual appreciation of the line as it exists in 2015 and not have to weed through all the muck.

Perfect post, agree 100%

Do we now close all the threads?

Alternatively you could start a " mutual appreciation" thread for cheerleaders and persons of that ilk so that you/ they would not have to weed ( read?) through " all this muck". Just a thought

Of course we each have the luxury of reading or ignoring any of the postings on Cruise Critic. It is a matter of personal choice.

I would certainly agree that Seabourn could do everyone a favor by clarifying this issue in their brochure.

What I have trouble with is equating choice with luxury. By that yardstick you would have to say that all of these Megashipoftheaeas with their dozens of restaurants are more luxurious ships.. One of the finest restaurants at which I dine is a tiny spots with only a few entree options each night. I would not consider the chain restaurants nearby with a phone book sized menu to be more luxurious.

Clarifying the issue would be a good thing.

1200 page menus are bad, then again day after day that 3 item menu becomes boring too.

Edited by Emperor Norton

What's interesting to me is how many people that are happy with just the buffet seem so dead set against keeping the restaurant open for breakfast and lunch. It's almost like they're saying to those who want choice "Stop liking what I don't like" If people don't want to patronize the restaurant aside from dinner - fine, but why begrudge others the option? It's not like doing so will allow hordes of ill behaved smoking children onboard :D

Edited by Emperor Norton

Alternatively you could start a " mutual appreciation" thread for cheerleaders and persons of that ilk so that you/ they would not have to weed ( read?) through " all this muck". Just a thought

Of course we each have the luxury of reading or ignoring any of the postings on Cruise Critic. It is a matter of personal choice.

In a previous post you asked why so few positive posts and more from the negative. It is because of the idea your quote I have put in bold letters implies. Lately those of us who chose to be more positive seem to be considered less discerning and willing to put up with anything on Seabourn. Because after all as a "cheerleader" my opinion isn't valid. After this post I will aim to comment only to a direct question about ports I know or a facility on the ships.

Julie

Emperor Norton - I think it is a bit sweeping to suggest that there are many people (presumably you mean the 'cheerleaders') who are dead set against the restaurant being open for all meals. While I am happy to be categorised as something of a cheerleader, I and most others of like mind are more than willing to criticise aspects of the way Seabourn is run when necessary. And have done so, regarding this topic and smoking - and I will now add another: I can see no useful purpose for the recently introduced 'seating hostesses'.

Have a look at some of the other forums - you will find far more biased cheerleaders on a few of them!

I can see no useful purpose for the recently introduced 'seating hostesses'.

Have a look at some of the other forums - you will find far more biased cheerleaders on a few of them!

Goodness me, what on earth is a "seating hostess"and how will I recognise her/ him on my upcoming cruise. Is he/ she perchance like the much venerated " trolley dolley" of a bygone age?

Thanks.

Goodness me, what on earth is a "seating hostess"and how will I recognise her/ him on my upcoming cruise. Is he/ she perchance like the much venerated " trolley dolley" of a bygone age?

Thanks.

First of all the price of your cruise won't be affected by the presence or otherwise of a seating hostess. So relax.

She (and it has always been a she on our cruises), does a number of rolls. At the most basic level she allocates tables to people entering the main dining room at night. This frees up the maître 'd staff so they can concentrate on service.

She also manages the hosted tables showing people where they are going on arrival at the MDR.

She will also be on the front desk of the colonnade during breakfast helping her confirm invite replies to hosted tables, dealing with any special requests for "party" tables in the MDR etc.

She works closely with both restaurant teams helping to nip any issues in the bud.

As for recognising her. You will, don't worry :)

Henry :)

Edited by Able Seaman H

First of all the price of your cruise won't be affected by the presence or otherwise of a seating hostess. So relax.

She (and it has always been a she on our cruises), does a number of rolls. At the most basic level she allocates tables to people entering the main dining room at night. This frees up the maître 'd staff so they can concentrate on service.

She also manages the hosted tables showing people where they are going on arrival at the MDR.

She will also be on the front desk of the colonnade during breakfast helping her confirm invite replies to hosted tables, dealing with any special requests for "party" tables in the MDR etc.

She works closely with both restaurant teams helping to nip any issues in the bud.

As for recognising her. You will, don't worry :)

Henry :)

Thankyou that is most helpful.

Yes, could serve a usefull purpose. Particularly if she can sprinkle her fairy dust whilst front desking in the Colonnade in order to secure opening the MDR at breakfast for those ( few) pax who wish the luxury of a quiet relaxing breakfast experience.

Just jesting of course; but there again.......

In a previous post you asked why so few positive posts and more from the negative. It is because of the idea your quote I have put in bold letters implies. Lately those of us who chose to be more positive seem to be considered less discerning and willing to put up with anything on Seabourn. Because after all as a "cheerleader" my opinion isn't valid. After this post I will aim to comment only to a direct question about ports I know or a facility on the ships.

Julie

Methinks you misinterpret my words.

As usual, the lady contributor from deepest Lincolnshire (Post 320) puts it very well- one can be a cheerleader and also criticise when warranted.

And vice versa.. As i understand it,all comments are "valid"on these Boards as long as they do not breach CC Guidelines.

It would be a very bland world indeed if we all agreed about everything. IMHO discussion and debate on CC is what makes these Boards interesting and informative.

And as I keep saying we are all free to choose what we read on here.

Edited by MARIANH

I don't understand what "I'm too old to invest in another cruise line" means. Is she planning to buy it or just spend a couple of weeks onboard?

Wripro, I am quite sure that you are probably making a tiny joke here, but just in case...the other passenger meant that she was too old to invest any more time in shopping around for another cruise line.