Seabourn Odyssey - Restaurant

I'm on Odyssey in the Caribbean for 12 days on Nov. 21. What are the odds that the MDR will be open for breakfast and/or lunch? We always eat both meals in the dining room. The Colonnade is nice but, even with waiter service, it's not as quiet and elegant as the dining room. Also, the waiter service in The Colonnade is not, in my experience, very attentive. I'd be very disappointed if the MDR is closed, particularly at breakfast.

I'm on Odyssey in the Caribbean for 12 days on Nov. 21. What are the odds that the MDR will be open for breakfast and/or lunch? We always eat both meals in the dining room. The Colonnade is nice but, even with waiter service, it's not as quiet and elegant as the dining room. Also, the waiter service in The Colonnade is not, in my experience, very attentive. I'd be very disappointed if the MDR is closed, particularly at breakfast.

I'd say v unlikely. I'm on Sojourn for 18 nights 31 October. I'll report back, please do the same.

If my past Caribbean cruises are any indicator (granted on the little sisters) the MDR will not be open for lunch. As Caribbean cruises are usually full I'm not sure if the Colonnade/R2 gimmickry would work, but it seems corporate is hell bent for leather to cheapen their product.

Thank you for the replies. It's been two years since my last trip on Sojourn but I recall the MDR being open for breakfast and lunch every day. It's very disappointing to read that's no longer the case. By the way, Crystal's dining rooms are definitely open at breakfast and lunch. I think Silversea is the same. The MDR's aren't hugely popular on those lines but they still see fit to keep them open for the few passengers who appreciate proper service. What is Seabourn's excuse - to save money? Shameful. I'm thinking of having my TA check on this but I don't know if it will make any difference.

Our Seabourn experiences have been nothing but wonderful...With only 400 passengers we have found that they do a tremendous job of catering to all cruisers' needs. The Colonnade staff were always friendly and eager to serve...same goes for the MDR and Pool area staff.

I found that ordering breakfast in the room each morning was a true joy-always on time, hot and just a pleasant experience...Everyone is different in their dining choices, but to berate Seabourn for their not opening the MDR for breakfast for apparently a few individuals is inappropriate. If that is your thing then Silversea and Crystal are awaiting your business!

BTW we are also on the Nov 21 voyage and can't wait to be spoiled by the staff!

I found that ordering breakfast in the room each morning was a true joy-always on time, hot and just a pleasant experience...Everyone is different in their dining choices, but to berate Seabourn for their not opening the MDR for breakfast for apparently a few individuals is inappropriate. If that is your thing then Silversea and Crystal are awaiting your business!

Ummm... how about I like to eat at a proper table with plenty of room. We travel as a group of 3..

to berate others because they have chosen a cruise line which did provide that service, has done for a long while is inappropriate, especially as you may be booked close to 2 years in advance..

I have been in the MDR when the entire side was full at breakfast... that is far from a few individuals

Our Seabourn experiences have been nothing but wonderful...With only 400 passengers we have found that they do a tremendous job of catering to all cruisers' needs. The Colonnade staff were always friendly and eager to serve...same goes for the MDR and Pool area staff.

BTW we are also on the Nov 21 voyage and can't wait to be spoiled by the staff!

Keeping the main dining room closed for Breakfast or Lunch is NOT a 5/6 star experience. Even the mass market lines have their main restaurant open so why not Seabourn? I consider the Colonnade a hybrid buffet and not consistent with the definition of luxury. The MDR has always had sufficient breakfast/lunch numbers on the cruises that we have been on, so Seabourn is simply cutting costs at the expense of the experience. Given the substantial increase in per diem rates, coupled with the closure of the MDR, the only ones benefitting are Carnival Shareholders.

While I am in agreement that the MDR should be open for breakfast and lunch, I cannot myself see how closing it it cuts costs - the staff will be there, and somewhere working, and the same amount of food is needed. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to how the costcutting works in this instance. Particularly as it seems that they open restaurant 2 as a sop as an alternative.

Our Seabourn experiences have been nothing but wonderful...With only 400 passengers we have found that they do a tremendous job of catering to all cruisers' needs.

Yours is a brilliant post as it pertains to YOU. memememememe

Actually, think of all of the personnel needed in the main galley to prepare all of those room service breakfasts.......and all of the staff needed to serve them. Why not just have everyone go to the Colonnade............... bit tongue in cheek but hopefully someone will get the idea.

Edited by PaulaJK
spelling, always spelling

Actually, think of all of the personnel needed in the main galley to prepare all of those room service breakfasts.......and all of the staff needed to serve them. Why not just have everyone go to the Colonnade............... bit tongue in cheek but hopefully someone will get the idea.

Flash mobbing a single venue might get the point across. Especially if they changed which one at random.

OTOH, better they close a venue than sink to the Regent level of waiting 45 min for a toasted item as the room service and restaurant galleys were merged and for some reason the room service orders take priority.

We are on the Odyssey at present for the transatlantic crossing to Fort Lauderdale. The MDR is open for breakfast and lunch. At breakfast there were at least 20 tables occupied when we ate. A lot fewer at lunchtime but a constant flow. It all depends on the weather.

We are on the Odyssey at present for the transatlantic crossing to Fort Lauderdale. The MDR is open for breakfast and lunch. At breakfast there were at least 20 tables occupied when we ate. A lot fewer at lunchtime but a constant flow. It all depends on the weather.

Good to hear that TAs still have all options. The problem seems to arise on port intensive cruises.

• 2 weeks later...

We are returning soon to Seabourn (Odyssey) after an enforced 2 year break.

Clearly things have changed somewhat!

I have trawled thro' recent postings and am a little confused about the MDR for breakfast and lunch. Does anyone know if the restaurant is definitely closed for November 2015 Caribbean cruises. If so, is R2 being offered as an alternative?

Slightly off topic, what is now being offered in R2 for dinner and are reservations still needed?

Even more off topic, how is the quality and choice of "free pour" wines nowadays?

Apologies for straying.

It will be good to be back on our favourite ship.

Out of the last 3x days on the Odyssey the restaurant was closed for breakfast till near the start of the TA portion so it would follow that in the Caribbean there will be no restaurant love for breakfast or lunch. Buffet, deck grill, or R2 which was sit down service but offered a smaller menu.

On page 32 of the pre cruise informatioen Seabourn clearly does write

The Restaurant : Like fine restaurants ashore , ours features an elegant open-seating arrangement for breakfast lunch and dinner.

So Seabourn simply does give false and lying information to kooked passengers.

I immediately did cancel my furhter bookings on SB.

In my opinion SB became a polished Hal wrapped in a nice gift paper ( free drinks and better services said better waiting staff )however with a big sticker from C ( all the cutbacks )

In my opinion SB became a polished Hal wrapped in a nice gift paper ( free drinks and better services said better waiting staff )however with a big sticker from C ( all the cutbacks )

Except on the last HAL cruise I took (port-intensive 7-day itinerary in the Mediterranean), the main dining room was open everyday for breakfast, lunch and dinner.