Lifeboat drill on Carnival Spirit

Booked on the Spirit out of Sydney on 25 Sept 14.

It's the 'sampler' cruise so just for 3 days. Girls trip only :-)

We leave at 6.30pm and wondered when they usually have the lifeboat drill?

Also I've cruised a couple of times before but usually for 7 days - apart from the obvious fact this one is shorter, are there any other differences you've noted?? Are people more active rather being laid back because they only have a limited time etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Booked on the Spirit out of Sydney on 25 Sept 14.

It's the 'sampler' cruise so just for 3 days. Girls trip only :-)

We leave at 6.30pm and wondered when they usually have the lifeboat drill?

Also I've cruised a couple of times before but usually for 7 days - apart from the obvious fact this one is shorter, are there any other differences you've noted?? Are people more active rather being laid back because they only have a limited time etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Usually about 45 minutes before departure . This allows enough time for people to get to the sail way parties.

The shorter two and three day cruises and often called Booze Cruises as some people cram as much in as possible in a short amount of time. It is claimed they sometimes sell as much alcohol in on a three day cruise as they would on a seven or eight dayer. However the ship is big enough to avoid this sort of activity if you want to so do not be concerned.

We were on "Spirit" in February and the drill was held just before sailing. The difference between Princess and Carnival Spirit was that the drill was held out on the boat deck on Spirit whereas on Princess the drills are held inside in the larger lounges or the theatre.

John

We were on "Spirit" in February and the drill was held just before sailing. The difference between Princess and Carnival Spirit was that the drill was held out on the boat deck on Spirit whereas on Princess the drills are held inside in the larger lounges or the theatre.

John

We were also on Carnival Spirit in February and the open deck muster was very uncomfortable for quite a few people. I don't understand why Carnival needs to have their muster out on the open deck....everyone has to go, even small children and the disabled, and it can get very distressing particularly if it is hot (as it was for us), or conversely if it is raining. :mad:

We all understand the need for these drills, but when Princess (and Celebrity to my certain knowledge) do them in an indoor area, why does Carnival make it such a chore. :confused:

cheers

Edited by Flipper133

Surely there are public areas large enough on Carnival Spirit to conduct Emergency drill? Yes, Flipper Celebrity does it inside as does P&O UK, Princess etc.

Perhaps Carnival Cruise Lines are the only mob who do it the 'Titanic way.'

when we cruised RCI years ago they had them outside as well, if your cabin was on the starboard side you got the afternoon sun and at the Quay it got very hot....not sure if things have changed

The emergency drill usually starts between 4.45pm & 5pm regardless of the length of the cruise. It will be over by 5.30pm as that's when dinner starts for those on early dining.

There is nowhere else on the ship to carry out the drill, even if every lounge was used there still isn't enough room to accommodate everyone in a lounge.

We were on P & O in mid April and the drill was in the lounge.

On the spirit also late April we did the drill on the deck as others have said.

I don't quite go with the argument that there wouldn't be enough room for everyone if done in lounges. there are plenty of lounge areas, and they could even use the dining room to make it more comfortable for passengers.

I can't believe people are questioning where Carnival Spirit hold the pre-voyage muster because the location that it is held is the actual location that your would be required to muster if there was an emergency.

Some people have very short memories about the problems that happened with the Costa Concordia lat year.

when we cruised RCI years ago they had them outside as well, if your cabin was on the starboard side you got the afternoon sun and at the Quay it got very hot....not sure if things have changed

At Christmas last year they were held on the outside decks on the Rhapsody.

I can't believe people are questioning where Carnival Spirit hold the pre-voyage muster because the location that it is held is the actual location that your would be required to muster if there was an emergency.

Some people have very short memories about the problems that happened with the Costa Concordia lat year.

As mentioned X and Princess have assembly areas inside and then (if abandon ship is signalled) people are to be taken to the designated lifeboats.

Concordia was a huge disaster but was made much worse due to the lack of leadership and the continual bad communications during the event. The same can be said for recent Ferry disaster, miss-communications by the captain and crew.

Your comment made me laugh because that was exactly what I was thinking!

In the case of a real emergency I would much rather be situated UNDER the lifeboats than sitting comfortably in the theatre :p

The drill is only about 10 minutes long, so despite how uncomfortable it may be it's reassuring that they take it seriously, just don't stand under the speakerphone, that thing will blast you away. :eek:

Your comment made me laugh because that was exactly what I was thinking!

In the case of a real emergency I would much rather be situated UNDER the lifeboats than sitting comfortably in the theatre :p

The drill is only about 10 minutes long, so despite how uncomfortable it may be it's reassuring that they take it seriously, just don't stand under the speakerphone, that thing will blast you away. :eek:

in case of an emergency you would have to go to your proper muster station not by some lifeboat, you might be at the wrong lifeboat

in case of an emergency you would have to go to your proper muster station not by some lifeboat, you might be at the wrong lifeboat

I dont think that was the intent of the post.

Royal conducts there Muster Drill at the appropriate muster point on the lifeboat deck as designated on the sea pass card. They used to use the lounges but changed to the outside decks immediately after the Costa disaster.

The reason being so you know where to go to in an emergency - makes sense.

Edited by cassamanda

I dont think that was the intent of the post.

Royal conducts there Muster Drill at the appropriate muster point on the lifeboat deck as designated on the sea pass card. They used to use the lounges but changed to the outside decks immediately after the Costa disaster.

The reason being so you know where to go to in an emergency - makes sense.

we did our first RCI cruise in 2008 and they had the muster on the outside deck so i dont know when they changed to inside and back to outside

on princess and p&o they are held in the lounges inside so you would have to go to your muster station in an emergency and you would follow the instructions from the staff

On Carnival your proper muster station is located under or as close as possible to the lifeboats that you would use in an emergency. In the muster drill speech they also make you aware of the exact lifeboats for your designated muster station and point them out.

So your proper muster station is in fact by some lifeboat.

we did our first RCI cruise in 2008 and they had the muster on the outside deck so i dont know when they changed to inside and back to outside

on princess and p&o they are held in the lounges inside so you would have to go to your muster station in an emergency and you would follow the instructions from the staff

RCI was still inside early 2012 but by end of year was back outside.

RCI was still inside early 2012 but by end of year was back outside.

I was not bagging out the musters at the actual life boats, just pointing out that when meeting inside, they take you to the life boat when required.

Whether inside or out, it is important that people know where to go in case of an emergency. Thereafter it is all down to the skill and communications from the captain and crew to make the right calls.:D

I was not bagging out the musters at the actual life boats, just pointing out that when meeting inside, they take you to the life boat when required.

Whether inside or out, it is important that people know where to go in case of an emergency. Thereafter it is all down to the skill and communications from the captain and crew to make the right calls.:D

i wasnt bagging either but i think having the muster inside in the comfort of the lounges is far better than having it outside in the hot sun, freezing weather or rainy days

we only experienced outside on RCI and we didnt get any rain, only the hot afternoon sun and the elderly were getting sick

i wasnt bagging either but i think having the muster inside in the comfort of the lounges is far better than having it outside in the hot sun, freezing weather or rainy days

we only experienced outside on RCI and we didnt get any rain, only the hot afternoon sun and the elderly were getting sick

If the muster is going to be outside, people should be prepared and bring a brolly (for rain or shine), but they really only go for around 20 mins. If they are feeling unwell then seeing the staff would be the best option.:D

• 1 month later...