Never met room steward in 7 days?

I agree with the people who said they don't care if they meet their room steward. As long as the room gets cleaned, that's what is important.

The problem I personally had with this issue is that the refrigerator WAS LOCKED and the room steward was supposed to ASK ME if I wanted to have it unlocked or locked and full or empty.

Exactly.

My manager would rather me do my job than him see me all the time. The room stewards are extremely busy - if they stopped for social hour with ever cruiser the work would never be finished.

What? The OP wasn't complaining on day 2 that the steward hadn't come by to socialize... the complaint was that they needed the refrigerator unlocked and couldn't find their steward! So yes.. they had a legitimate complaint there.

I had one of these ghost stewards once out of 22 cruises... it became a game of actually finding them...

I don't need to socialize with them but some really do seem to want to. If they can do that and get their jobs done great, or if they want to be a ghost steward, that is fine too as long as they come you your cabin when you request it because you need something.. THAT is part of their job also.

Now, there may have been reasons that you never saw them or that they were sending other people to the cabin. Maybe your steward was ill and they did not want to expose you to what they had? it does seem odd that after multiple request they never showed their face.

As long as my room was serviced, I would not be upset if I didn't see the room steward. And I would certainly not even consider tampering with the daily service charge. But I would not leave any extra the last evening either.

Once on the Triumph, I didnt see the room steward at all. I ran out of the door hangers for room service breakfast, so I called housekeeping and a young woman who appeared to be a room steward arrived shortly after with a few of them. I thanked her and she didnt reply, no eye contact, no mumble, nothing. Not sure if she was my room steward or not, but after that when I saw her in the hallway, she always looked away, and did not respond when I said hello.

The room was always taken care of though, so I was ok with that. It is always nice when you can know which person is your steward, just to say hi, and thankyou etc but for me it is not necessary. However a little extra friendliness will usually warrant an extra tip last day.

Edited by SMSACE6

We always empty the fridge ourselves to have some room. Why bother the room steward with it?

We do the same but let him know it's in the bottom of our closet.

We've always met and seen our room steward everyday.

I don't really need to meet or know my cabin attendant. Its just never been a big deal. As long as the cabin is attended to we don't care if we ever see who does it. I leave notes if I have a special request ( or with a tip) and that always seems to work out fine. If a good job was done I will leave an additional tip , whether or not there was conversation involved. I don't cruise to make new friends so I don't expect the social aspect with the staff. If I was a crew member, I think that I would be the stealthy ninja type.

We just got off the Glory May 31 - June 7 sailing.

Our room steward never introduced him/herself and we never saw them.

Finally on day 2 I asked guest services to have the room steward come meet us, unlock the refrigerator, and remove the alcoholic items from it. The guest services person called the "floor manager" and spoke to him. He said the room steward would come meet us as soon as he came on duty that afternoon. No one ever showed up. A guy who said he was just a "runner" finally came by with a ring of about 100 keys. He found 1 that opened the fridge. He said only our room steward could remove the alcoholic items because he didn't have a place to store the stuff. I said OK and he left. A little while later, he came back and said he was authorized to remove the alcohol items. We ran into several people out in the hallways during the cruise that looked like they might be our room steward but when I asked them, they all said no. On day 6 I went guest services again to make sure we didn't get charged by our phantom room steward for the missing alcohol. They vowed to have the floor supervisor meet us and the room steward too. Again, no one ever showed up.

Somehow the room got cleaned, the beds were done, and a towel animal showed up each day. If it had been a Disney Cruise I would have thought that Sorcerer Mickey had something to do with it, but this was Carnival.....

We had prepaid our tips for this cruise and I thought about removing the tips for a minute, but then I decided that the most important thing was that the room got cleaned and so I left the tip as is. We usually give our room steward an extra $20 or $30, but you can't tip someone you have never seen, so no additonal amount was left this time.

Consider yourself lucky. You had a clean room prepaid your obligation and didn't have to give extra

If your steward was looking for extra at the end I assure you he would have found you around day 6. Lol

We should all learn from this. It isn't really required to give the extra tip and some stewards just don't look for it

I prefer the Nijia, let them do thier job, if they read my posted note and supply the ice that I asked for. Bonus and ice continues to be there all during the cruise without having to ask for it. You done your job well there is an extra tip in it for you. I am not high maintenance so i don't need to meet them or even speak with them tip extra.

7 cruises so far and have always met our Steward on embarkation day. Some we see/interact with more than others, their choice. Have always had a balcony so probably spend more time that day on the balcony till sail away so more chance of seeing them?

Edited by WindsorFred

We met ours on like day 2. She would almost always come late at night and just hand us our Funtimes and chocolates. One day my daughter got pizza sauce on the bedspread. That night, one of her shirts, which had been crumpled on the bed, was neatly folded and put on top of the pizza stain. Needless to sayl, she did not get extra tips from us.

Just got off Splendor last week and traveled with 2 other people. We were all on different decks and locations. I saw mine every day (he was the same steward I had 2 months ago). One saw his maybe once or twice during the cruise and the other person never saw the steward all week.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me

Why do you care about meeting the room Stewart? The job got done the room was clean that's the number one goal.. Should of left the tip to Casper on the bed

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As long as they are doing their job, I could care less if I EVER meet them

I don't chase down hotel maids either.

I was thinking the same thing. In a hotel, you seldom see housekeeping let alone, meet them. No biggee as long as their job is done.

I saw my cabin steward(s) every day on both of my cruises. However, it would not hurt my feelings if I did not see them during the cruise, as long as my stateroom was cleaned and any requests I had of them (ice, glasses, extra pillows, etc.) were met. I would never consider removing their gratuities just because I never saw them.

We had this happen on our first cruise on the Splendor - and I didn't know what was "normal". We had to call a couple of times to have our refrigerator unlocked. The steward - or assistant, not sure which - came to unlock and we never saw him again. We've had a couple of elusive ones, but most have said hello in passing in the hall, at the very least. Some are more "available" and friendly than others, that for sure.

On our first cruise last June, we saw our room steward CONSTANTLY! She was a very sweet lady and DS was absolutely fascinated with her since he'd never met anybody like her before (I think she was Filipino..don't really recall).

Second cruise, last August..we had The Invisible Man as our room steward. Nobody knew his name, knew who he was..it was very strange. I met him for about 5 seconds on the last night of our cruise when I ran back to our cabin to grab a light jacket so I wouldn't freeze to death in the theater. I only knew who he was because he asked me if I was Mrs. So n So. He told me he was our room steward and he ought to have introduced himself before but he was just too busy.

The Sensation cruise I just got off of was the first cruise I've ever been on where I didn't see our steward. Ever. I was surprised but everything was taken care of. I was kind of bummed because I like to meet them. Very unusual.

We had the same experience on the Sensation -- actually -- we DID meet our Steward -- she knocked on the door, said "Hi i am .. hold on" and then turned, answered her phone pagers thing -- and walked away -- didn't see her at all for the rest of the cruise.

We had the same issue on Glory in December. I wouldn't care if I never saw them if they did their job, but every night they took our beach towels and never replaced them. Picking up new ones at the towel desk is no big deal except when you excursion leaves at 7:30 and the towel desk doesn't open until 9!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I spent a week in an Embassy Suites recently while on a business trip and I never met the maid who cleaned my room. I was devastated but got over it especially when I noticed how clean she kept my room. I left her a $5.00 every day with a thank you note.

I don't understand why people have to meet the room steward on cruises. We both have our jobs...his is to keep my cabin clean and mine is to enjoy the cruise. I have a mild case of OCD so he doesn't have to work very hard in my cabin as I keep it clean. If I could figure out how to make towel animals he would just have to replace towels!:D

Bottom line...if we do meet on the first day I am friendly and respectful. If we don't meet I certainly wouldn't go to Guest Services and make it an issue.

The opposite happened to us. The steward was ALWAYS there. Seriously, whenever we came to our room, he was just there and we went to our room very often. He was always in the same spot, right by our door:confused:

The opposite happened to us. The steward was ALWAYS there. Seriously, whenever we came to our room, he was just there and we went to our room very often. He was always in the same spot, right by our door:confused:

Creepy, creepy :eek: