Platinum happy hour on Regal

Cinerama

Yup. I've taken four RCCL cruises and tried Celebrity. I'm not at a level to get perks, though. I sometimes have one drink a day so free drinks aren't a big deal to me. I've had great times at the Princess Platinum/Elite lounge so it probably depends on your circumstances and fellow passengers.

HAL has wonderful hot hors d 'oeuvres for anyone in their bars/lounges.

We are not drinkers either. However, we would like to see a separate lounge set aside for Princess Platinum/Elite as we like to socialize, too. We have found that for this function, very few people attended.

We are not drinkers either. However, we would like to see a separate lounge set aside for Princess Platinum/Elite as we like to socialize, too. We have found that for this function, very few people attended.

Again, it depends on the ship and the particular cruise. I have been to the lounge when it was so crowded, it was hard to get a seat. I have also been there when there were plenty of seats available. I haven't yet seen one that is "like a morgue." I like it. DH likes it. I am pretty sure we are not alone. (It's always more attended on guacamole night, it seems to me. :))

Again, it depends on the ship and the particular cruise. I have been to the lounge when it was so crowded, it was hard to get a seat. I have also been there when there were plenty of seats available. I haven't yet seen one that is "like a morgue." I like it. DH likes it. I am pretty sure we are not alone. (It's always more attended on guacamole night, it seems to me. :))

You're not alone - we're with you!

On our last 4 cruises (BI on Caribbean Princess last summer, Eastern Caribbean on the Royal in December, and B2B Caribbean cruises on the Ruby in February) the lounge was overflowing on the Royal, crowded on the Caribbean, and about half full on the Ruby. The Ruby cruises were short cruises with lots and lots of first time Princess cruisers and relatively few Platinum and Elite. I especially love it when held in Skywalkers and it coincides with sail away - it's a wonderful atmosphere and some of the appetizers are delicious. We too love the guacamole and shrimp nights.

Princess makes money off us because we would not be having before dinner cocktails otherwise.

Been there and tried it and it is a complete waste of time. Princess should do like Celebrity and RCI and provide free drinks and hors d'oeuvres. Have you tried Celebrity and RCI? If you did you know what they offer in this specific area. This is one perk that Princess should change. This is MHO!

I still think the Princess Elite perks out weigh any on X or RC. Princess gives Elite 10% 0ff in shops including liquor to take off the ship. Chocolate covered strawberrys , canapes on formal night and tea served in the cabin. Their Future cruise credits also make more sense. The bar set up is worth about $60 and can be exchanged if you are not a liquor drinker. I am Elite on X and Diamond on RC, so I get a small discount on a balcony cabin. Combinable OBCs and refundable OBCs are another thing I like on Princess. I like the larger cabins on RC and X and the jr suites on RC.

We are elite on Princess, so can't speak about other lines. But we are happy for the perks we get and would miss them, especially on longer cruises, if we did not have them (we are probably spoiled). The free unlimited laundry/pressing/dry cleaning is great....sometimes we unload almost our whole suitcase into the laundry bag the first day just to get the wrinkles out and get them on hangers. (I know, probably bordering on abusive....we had $300 worth of laundry done on one cruise!). The mini bar set up can be exchanged for two coffee cards that cost about $33 each (after gratuity figured in). More than enough internet for us. Plus the other stuff (chocolate covered strawberries in our room). 10% off in shops. Tender and check-in priority......It fits our preferences well.

As far as drink prices, depending on where you live the drink prices will be too high or very low. Try getting a mixed drink in a Vegas or Manhattan hotel bar for $6 or even $8. And they are not watered down. Nor do they offer sweeping ocean views like you get in Skywalkers. One "Chairman of the Board" and I am semi-looped! Love the shrimp and the smoked salmon. I like economizing like anyone else (we always do inside cabin), but a dollar rise in drink prices is not a deal-breaker for me.

I feel that we went totally off topic. The original posting in this thread ‘Platinum happy hour on Regal’ was: ‘With the increase of $1 for alcohol drinks, did the happy hour drink prices for Platinum increase to $6?’

Apparently this has not been answered yet?

My first posting was: OMG! Princess calls this a Happy Hour? I am not for the increase of $1/20% for such a limited amount of drinks that I or someone else may not want or like.

Someone clarified my Happy Hour posting to let me know that this is not Princess’ Happy Hour. After over 400 days on Princess I really know that, too. The original poster was really ‘referring to ‘the Platinum/Elite “lounge.” Sorry, there is not a dedicated lounge for this event on most of the Princess’ ships. A section of a lounge is normally set aside for this event. However, that was not the issue. The issue was charge a $1 more or a 20% increase for your choice of 6 different drinks during this even.

Princess is giving Platinum/Elite guests a break of $1 - $3.95 off of 1 of 6 drinks that Princess decides upon. Lets not forget that they are serving special hors d’oeuvres, too. You can order anything you want at regular prices also. How many people really like the 6 drinks that are in this price/selection range?

‘Sadly, this is the perk for Platinum, Elites and Suites...you know, like the one that Celebrity does for free.’

Then someone else brings up the comparison of Princess and other cruise line perks. Was this really about cruise line perks or the increase of $1/20% increase of this function? That triggered other responses about OBCs, perks and what it takes to become Elite on Celebrity compare to Princess. I enjoy the perks on all the cruise lines. This is not a perk!!!

So, another poster jumps in to address ‘the opportunity for people with common interests to get together and socialize. Good point! However, many people don’t attend these type of functions because they don’t want to limit their socializing to a specific group. In fact, a separate dedicate lounge is used on some cruise lines and not on others because of this one point. So, it is a matter of preference.

‘The perk would be complimentary appetizers.’ Yes, some of the appetizers are very good, others are..... Remember you are on a ship with food all over the place.

Drinks were $2.99 and now they are $5.99 or $6.99 to be decided. Never really saw a lot of people when it was $2.99 and apparently as the price goes up, people are getting more for their money so more people will show up?

Then the perks of a Cruise line compare to another were discussed again. Remember, this thread is about the $1/20% increase and really not perks. So, we are off topic again.

Many of us have been on many Princess cruises. Yes, we have seen this function full or not.

Defenders try to get back to the perks between cruise lines. Even 10% off in shops. Canapes on formal night and tea served in the cabins. This is about not about perks, it is about $1/20% increase for a Platinum/Elite Lounge function.

The most surprising posting is the one ‘the free unlimited laundry/pressing/dry cleaning (perk) is great..sometimes we unload almost our whole suitcase into the laundry bag the first day just to get the wrinkles out and get them on hangers. (Probably bordering on abusive???) YES, YES, YES!!!!

So, what does this prove. We cannot stay on topic, try to defend any change that we may agree with, etc. If you don’t agree with it then bash it/disagree or go off topic to change the topic. What about the Regal now charging $10 for Alfredos and $3 for room service? What is next? That has generated a lot of comments.

For those who use the P/E lounge and want to pay the extra $1, fine. I just don’t agree with it. I voiced my opinion about this and have done so in the past. That is what this forum is about.

I owe no alliance to any cruise line. I cruise them all and am Elite on X, Princess and Diamond on RCI. I cruise based on my liking of ports, ships, costs and NOT on perks. No one cruise line is perfect regardless of perks or total product. Those that cruise only one cruise line are really missing out to see what is being offered. JMHO

Yes, I do have 2 more Princess cruises book for the next 6 months. However, I am also going on RCI and X, too.

I hope I explained my feelings on this specific thread. Personally, I was never happy with the P/E Lounge function as I don’t see paying for something that is classified as a potential perk especially when it is forcing me to pick a drink that I may not like or want. I have never seen it full on any Princess cruise. Maybe I was on a different cruise than you.

OK, this is supposed to be the place to get answers to questions so once again, has there been an increase in the price of drinks at the Platinum/Elite event or not? Anyone on board or just back who can help? We're cruising in October so perhaps there will be an answer by then.:rolleyes:

With all due respect to the posters on this thread, I find $6 for a drink darn cheap. In fact even $8.95. Most bars in my neck of the woods (Montreal, Canada) charge $10 for premium booze or cocktails. Canadian beer usually goes for $5 a bottle with between $7 & $8 for imported beer. And that's not including gratuities which are at your discretion. I have snuck booze onboard in the past but now that I'm platinum I don't find it worth the risk. Cheers!:D

No. Princess doesn't call it Happy Hour. What they're referring to is the Platinum/Elite "lounge" which offers any one of six drinks for $5 although you can order anything you want at regular prices and there are special hors d'oeuvres. Regular drink prices are $6-8.95. Unless you're Platinum or Elite, you don't have to worry about the specially-priced drinks.

The Platinum/Elite "lounge" is held in either Club 6 or the Vista Lounge, depending on the number of Platinum/Elite onboard.

I take it the lounge is open the length of the cruise.

OK, this is supposed to be the place to get answers to questions so once again, has there been an increase in the price of drinks at the Platinum/Elite event or not? Anyone on board or just back who can help? We're cruising in October so perhaps there will be an answer by then.:rolleyes:

I think there was no answer because the original title of the thread was confusing.

I just asked the question directly and let's see if it gets answered.

I think there was no answer because the original title of the thread was confusing.

I just asked the question directly and let's see if it gets answered.

Seems to still be $5

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43062805#post43062805

We just returned home from 3 weeks aboard the Regal. The first week of the cruise they did not have the "lounge" open, it opened on 5/26/14 in Athens, it was held in Club 6. You could order any of the drinks for the week on any of the nights for the $5.00 price. Most nights the "lounge" was open officially from 5:30pm - 7:30pm, however, it was always set up by 5:00pm and allowed passengers to order drinks and food available from then. Can not speak to if the time ran over, as we were not in the lounge during the ending portion of the time.

Most nights it appeared to be barely used, the most people we ever saw in a single night was 30 total. Although the number of elite/platinum passengers was very low over the 3 weeks compared to most cruises.

Most nights it appeared to be barely used, the most people we ever saw in a single night was 30 total. Although the number of elite/platinum passengers was very low over the 3 weeks compared to most cruises.

We found the same thing on the most other ships as well but for some reason on some of the ships (especially the Emerald) it was overwhelming crowded. It must have a lot to do with the age of the crowd.

Edited by Lovetocruiseprincess

Interesting because we have seen it become increasingly crowded on other ships recently. :(