Royal Caribbean Leaving New Orleans

Didn't they pull out of NOLA a few years ago only to return like a year later? Maybe NOLA can entice them to come back in the not so distant future

Yes, I believe Rhapsody was in New Orleans for a while. Royal left NO for a few years before Voyager returned in late 2011.

We really enjoyed the cruise out of NO on the Voyager because we got to spend several days before in the French Quarter. NO is such a great city.

It is probably all about the $$$$. All the cruise prices were low for that port. Maybe RCI had to discount to much to fill the ships.

Navigator came around that time.

I think it was Voyager one year, then Navigator the next year after they sent Voyager to Asia, then Serenade the next year after Mariner left Galveston for Asia and Navigator went to Galveston.

I live in New Orleans. I have sailed out of here on both NCL and RCCL. I personally think that Royal ran into trouble here when they brought small,older ships to this market while Carnival and NCL have been bringing larger, nicer and newer ships in. RCCL just can't compete with the others.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I live in New Orleans. I have sailed out of here on both NCL and RCCL. I personally think that Royal ran into trouble here when they brought small,older ships to this market while Carnival and NCL have been bringing larger, nicer and newer ships in. RCCL just can't compete with the others.

I thought Voyager and Navigator were the largest cruise ships ever to home port at New Orleans.

That certainly makes some sense.

New Orleans has a lot to offer in terms of being a home port (as you know), especially where cruisers tend to arrive a few days before or after their cruise.

Since there are a number of RCI ship port movements next year...it's probably a bit early to assume that another ship won't end up in New Orleans.

Just move the whole fleet to Asia :mad:

I truly hope that there will be no more ships sent to Asia in 2016!!!!

As Quantum and Legend enter the Asian market in 2015, there will be 4 RCI ships based in Asia - Quantum, Mariner, Voyager, Legend and Explorer also 2016.

IMHO that's definitely enough!

I wonder if they would ever consider NO as a port of call rather than embarkation. I haven't been to the cruise port but I've been to the city and there are plenty of unique things to see and do. Especially if they did one of the evening schedules. Get off the ship and spend the evening wandering Bourbon Street and listening to jazz music.

I wonder if they would ever consider NO as a port of call rather than embarkation. I haven't been to the cruise port but I've been to the city and there are plenty of unique things to see and do. Especially if they did one of the evening schedules. Get off the ship and spend the evening wandering Bourbon Street and listening to jazz music.

There's a chance. And with all the art galleries by the port.

There's a chance. And with all the art galleries by the port.

The shops in the CBD and uptown would love it. As for me, I stay away from downtown. I will miss the Royal option for cruising out of New Orleans. I guess I will have to wait for Disney to come calling.

The shops in the CBD and uptown would love it. As for me, I stay away from downtown. I will miss the Royal option for cruising out of New Orleans. I guess I will have to wait for Disney to come calling.

Why? I think French Quarter and the areas by the river are awesome.

Why? I think French Quarter and the areas by the river are awesome.

Your right, there awesome. HOWEVER, when you live here you know that going to the Quarter is a pain in the a@#. Especially trying to park your car. Not to say you don't go down there for a special function, or to visit a certain restaurant, or for Marde Gras, but you will find most locals do not make a habit of going to the quarter. There are FANTASTIC placrs outside the quarter to drink, eat, listen to music and just have a good time.

Edited by endymion6942