Radiance of the Seas – ALASKA – May 9-16, 2014 Inner Passage REVIEW w/Photos

Thanks for your report. Your photos are fantastic. I was thinking of purchasing a DSLR camera, but I think it would be too technical for me. Your camera took some amazing shots, so I will look around for a point and shoot with a decent zoom.

Thanks.

When it comes to a P&S camera...it's worth it to get a brand name, a good zoom (20X or more) and one that has a good light sensor. Don't get hung up on megapixels (MP)...a 12MP camera can actually do better than a 16MP depending on the size of the light sensor and the pixel size...

A point and shoot allows for quick access on photos and features. That's no knock on conventional DSLR's (I use them too)...but for traveling and sight-seeing, they both have their place.

In the meantime...what is a "for sure" is that Alaska has numerous opportunities for photos - memories.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the review, I have two questions ....

1- Are there any 'secret' deck areas on the Radiance. When we cruised with Princess in Alaska, two high decks had open access out front just below the bridge that were accessed from guest room hallways ... Anything like that on Radiance?

2- Was there a naturalist on board to give talks about what you are seeing?

Thanks!

Thanks for the review, I have two questions ....

1- Are there any 'secret' deck areas on the Radiance. When we cruised with Princess in Alaska, two high decks had open access out front just below the bridge that were accessed from guest room hallways ... Anything like that on Radiance?

Unlike a number of other class ships, the back of Radiance is open behind Windjammer, but the "secret deck" you described was not seen on this ship.

2- Was there a naturalist on board to give talks about what you are seeing?

Not really. However, most of our tours themselves featured wildlife experts.

Thanks!

Responses above in red.

Awesome - already getting excited for my Alaska cruise next year. I have booked on Millennium but seriously considering Radiance (it would be my Diamond cruise too) - any thoughts. (I have an aft balcony booked) - same route though.

Awesome - already getting excited for my Alaska cruise next year. I have booked on Millennium but seriously considering Radiance (it would be my Diamond cruise too) - any thoughts. (I have an aft balcony booked) - same route though.

When the only challenge or problem on taking this roundtrip cruise is having to whittle down more than 1600 digital photos to a measly 500 or so -cruising life is good. :D

No photo can do justice to this amazing experience. This review/thread offers just a peek. Radiance is a perfect ship for this destination/itinerary, and the long list of sights is what memories are made of....and the ship and crew were fantastic. If you're looking at an aft balcony...the 3rd photo has a good view to consider that. The last photo is the Centrum area. Enjoy!

050914_PM_4A_Time_to_Board_1st_View_of_Radiance_of_the_Seas.jpg

051114_Icy_Straight_Point_Arrival_C4_View_Back_from_one_of_the_Shuttle_Boats1.jpg

051314_Juneau_Port_R3_Return_after_Excursions1.jpg

051014_AM_Cruising_Day_D2_Roaming_Radiance_of_the_Seas_Centrum_Above_View.jpg

Thanks so much for your wonderful review and beautiful photos. I recently purchased a Canon sx700 with the 30x zoom and it does indeed get closer than our other family cameras , some fancy, some not ! We are looking at a RCL cruise in our region later this year , so it was a great help to see the ship photos. Cheers, Buzz.

We were on Radiance 2 years ago

Hawaii to Vancouver. I have not enjoyed a ship more. Looking to take

this ship again. 😄

From the moment we first got on Radiance and sat in Windjammer (nicely appointed) until we left...agree...an elegant ship.

Enjoying your review and great photo's.

Glad you enjoyed them.

Thanks for the response ... A couple of more questions, we are trying decide between a Princess and RC cruise of Alaska for next summer ....

Where on the ship did you find the best outdoor/outside viewing?

Are there plenty of deck chairs on the promenade?

Did the National Park Rangers come aboard to talk?

Thanks for the response ... A couple of more questions, we are trying decide between a Princess and RC cruise of Alaska for next summer ....

Where on the ship did you find the best outdoor/outside viewing?

On the helipad out front, on the upper 2 decks up front, and in back behind the Windjammer on the back "balcony section". Our port room balcony also provided some stunning views.

Are there plenty of deck chairs on the promenade?

If you mean the Solarium or other upper deck sections near pool areas...yes.

Radiance has no promenade middle area like bigger ships - it has a Centrum - show in one of the photos posted a few posts back.

Did the National Park Rangers come aboard to talk?

No, however there was an onboard excursion orientation session the first day, which shared a lot of information. Tours themselves usually feature wildlife and location experts.

Info in red above.

...Are there plenty of deck chairs on the promenade? ...

Just to clarify in case you are not familiar with Royal ships, the previous post mentioned that Radiance does not have an indoor promenade (called the Royal Promenade) like Voyager/Freedom/Oasis class ships. However, Radiance does have have the traditional outdoor promenade on deck 5.

Edited by clarea

Just to clarify in case you are not familiar with Royal ships, the previous post mentioned that Radiance does not have an indoor promenade (called the Royal Promenade) like Voyager/Freedom/Oasis class ships. However, Radiance does have have the traditional outdoor promenade on deck 5.

Just to give folks an idea of the Deck 5 indoor promenade area know as Centrum and Centrum shops...here are some photos...

051014_AM_Cruising_Day_D4C_Roaming_Radiance_of_the_Seas_Centrum_Elevators1.jpg

051014_AM_Cruising_Day_C9_Roaming_Radiance_of_the_Seas_Shops_of_Centrum_1.jpg

051014_AM_Cruising_Day_C8_Roaming_Radiance_of_the_Seas_Shops_of_Centrum_1.jpg