Radiance of the Seas – ALASKA – May 9-16, 2014 Inner Passage REVIEW w/Photos

Cruisefan0001 thanks for reposting the pictures. Great photos, thanks for sharing!

You are quite welcome.

Having taken more than 1600 photos, and retaining the "best 530" or so...picking out those to post was even a bit of a challenge. I also have 18 HD video segments taken...

If somebody is interested in a specific thing that I might have in photo form...I'd be glad to post it (if I have it).

I'm not sure if anyone is interested...but I used a Canon PowerShot SX280 HS camera (which is a very nice and powerful point-and-shoot) for both the photos and HD video. It has a 20X optical zoom lens, which I recommend highly for these kinds of trips. There was a fellow passenger who had just bought a new Nikon DSLR for $3400 and another $1200 for a 300mm zoom lens...and by the time we were both taking similar position photos on the first excursion..he was visibly upset because I could actually zoom closer then him and the photo images were very similar in quality. The Canon I was using cost $300 new (there is now a newer 30X zoom model out there...). He told me he was going to "return the camera when he got back, buy 2 of the model I have, and keep the $$$ left over for his next trip".

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

Your pictures are awesome. This cruise is on my bucket list, but I think my bucket might have a hole in it. :(:p

Thanks for posting these pictures. Looks like a great cruise. I wonder why the glacier ice is so blue like that. Reminds me of the blue Caribbean waters.

Gwen :)

Great review and thanks for sharing all those wonderful pictures. :) We're doing the Vancouver round trip next year. Do you still have a copy of your cruise compass' that you'd be willing to share? think your sailing was the last RT (other than a charter this fall) before we go next September. A girls gotta plan. :D

Your pictures are awesome. This cruise is on my bucket list, but I think my bucket might have a hole in it. :(:p

Thanks for posting these pictures. Looks like a great cruise. I wonder why the glacier ice is so blue like that. Reminds me of the blue Caribbean waters.

A good question...and I have an answer...

The glacial ice is so blue because the dense ice of the glacier absorbs every other color of the spectrum except blue - so blue is what we see. Some of this ice has been there for hundreds or thousands of years and very tightly compressed because of the heavy weight.

Both the glaciers themselves as well as various "chunks" that fall off can be VERY blue in color - and the ice is very dense/hard.

Great review and thanks for sharing all those wonderful pictures. :) We're doing the Vancouver round trip next year. Do you still have a copy of your cruise compass' that you'd be willing to share? think your sailing was the last RT (other than a charter this fall) before we go next September. A girls gotta plan. :D

Yes...the round trip is especially nice since you depart and return to the same location. If someone is flying in for the cruise...this saves significant cost in comparison to arriving in one city and flying out of another.

With 2 glaciers seen close up, 2 successful whale-watching excursions, and other wildlife and spectacular scenery seen...the Inner Passage roundtrip is indeed amazing. You are wise to plan ahead. There are many choices.

In our case, Icy Straight Point was best for the Humpback whale-watching, and Juneau great for Orca whales. Both tours included multiple things in addition to the whale-watching.

I have all of the Cruise Compasses for every day in a folder, but haven't had the time to scan all the pages (yet). If I can get to that soon, I will do so and post those. There is a lot of content to scan - an average of 5-8 full pages per day for all 7 days.

Since people (including me) like photos...I have included just a couple more...

Here's a brown bear we caught walking quickly on shore...this photo was taken from more than 150 yards away on the boat at Ice Straight Point...and we only had seconds to capture it...

051114_Icy_Straight_Point_Arrival_F3_BEAR_SITED_ON_SHORE.jpg

Lately I have seen a great deal of posting about Chops...and their new menu. In our case, Radiance still had the old menu and offered a 10 oz filet...which was grilled perfectly and simply delicious.

051014_PM_Specialty_Dinner_G9_Chops_Grill_10oz_Filet_Aparagus_Potatoes.jpg

The Stanley Park Lookout Point near Lions Gate Bridge is seen from Radiance here...

050914_PM_6P_Lookout_Point_in_Stanley_Park.jpg

If there's one thing you can count on...it's seeing very impressive sunrises and/or sunsets. For those of us who don't mind the early or late hours...the views are stunning. This shot is a sunrise near Juneau taken with the zoom lens. You'll notice how the clouds hang low in the early morning hours and tend to "go away" midmorning.

051014_AM_Cruising_Day_A5_Sunrise.jpg

This is our D2 Superior Balcony cabin...it was clean with a lot of room and amazing views.

032314_Caribbean_Cruise_8E_Cabin_View.jpg

You are quite welcome.

Having taken more than 1600 photos, and retaining the "best 530" or so...picking out those to post was even a bit of a challenge. I also have 18 HD video segments taken...

If somebody is interested in a specific thing that I might have in photo form...I'd be glad to post it (if I have it).

I'm not sure if anyone is interested...but I used a Canon PowerShot SX280 HS camera (which is a very nice and powerful point-and-shoot) for both the photos and HD video. It has a 20X optical zoom lens, which I recommend highly for these kinds of trips. There was a fellow passenger who had just bought a new Nikon DSLR for $3400 and another $1200 for a 300mm zoom lens...and by the time we were both taking similar position photos on the first excursion..he was visibly upset because I could actually zoom closer then him and the photo images were very similar in quality. The Canon I was using cost $300 new (there is now a newer 30X zoom model out there...). He told me he was going to "return the camera when he got back, buy 2 of the model I have, and keep the $$$ left over for his next trip".

Great photos, thanks for sharing! Getting excited since we will be taking our first Alaska cruise next month.

I have been all over the place regarding a camera. I have the Canon SX260 HS which I love because it is so light and easy to hold. I also just purchased a Canon SX50 HS for a longer zoom. What setting did you use to shoot?…….I have always used auto or sports mode (if there is motion) but I am looking at tutorials to learn how to use the cameras better. I feel so uncomfortable getting off auto. I'm afraid of missing a shot cause I had a wrong setting on the camera.

Thanks

Great photos, thanks for sharing! Getting excited since we will be taking our first Alaska cruise next month.

I have been all over the place regarding a camera. I have the Canon SX260 HS which I love because it is so light and easy to hold. I also just purchased a Canon SX50 HS for a longer zoom. What setting did you use to shoot?…….I have always used auto or sports mode (if there is motion) but I am looking at tutorials to learn how to use the cameras better. I feel so uncomfortable getting off auto. I'm afraid of missing a shot cause I had a wrong setting on the camera.

I use the "M" setting, and set the color setting to Vivid. The rest is pretty much automatic. On some occasions, I'll use Auto.

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. My purpose was to share, and I'm glad some folks have enjoyed the reports/photos...and are getting excited about their own upcoming cruises...you'll love Radiance and the Alaska experience.

Cruise on!

Thank you so much for going to trouble of re-posting your photos. I thought it was my computer and I was really disappointed as a scrolled through. I will have to look into purchasing your camera because your photos are superb. Thanks for doing this review. A cruise to Alaska is on my bucket list.

Edited by aussielozzie18

Thank you so much for going to trouble of re-posting your photos. I thought it was my computer and I was really disappointed as a scrolled through. I will have to look into purchasing your camera because your photos are superb. Thanks for doing this review. A cruise to Alaska is on my bucket list.

Thank you for the kind words.

An Alaska cruise is indeed "special". We would recommend it highly to any cruiser. Photos can't even do it all justice.

As for the camera...please note that there is a newer model from Canon now with 30X zoom (otherwise basically the same unit)...the SX700 HS. That said, you can get some very good deals on the unit we have SX280 HS.

As a side note...and since folks like photos...

Our Cruise Director was Amy Fickert, and our Captain was Goram Peterson.

We first met Amy on the first day as we explored Radiance of the Seas. In fact, she had joined a group of us where we saw the first whale aside the ship (50 yards away) from the Centrum lunge area near the glass elevator section. We introduced ourselves and spoke with her for about 10 minutes at that time.

051014_AM_Cruising_Day_C6_Roaming_Radiance_of_the_Seas_Running_into_Cruise_Director_Amy_Fickert.jpg

During the cruise...we "ran into her" at least 6-7 times. Each time, Amy would recognize us, be very professional and friendly, and have no hesitation to answer any questions or just have a friendly chat.

After a fantastic day at Icy Straight Point, we again encountered Amy right before she was going on stage for the Crown & Anchor "Welcome Back Party". She was very "dressed up" and ready to lead that event.

051114_Icy_Straight_Point_L5_Crown_Anchor_Party_Amy_Fickert.jpg

We took a few other photos with my wife and Amy, etc. Not once did she hesitate to talk to anyone, answer questions for any passenger, or provide anything less than a smile and friendly conversation. We really got to know here a bit better onboard, and can only give her high marks as a great person and super Cruise Director.

During the C&A event (and once onboard), we also got to see/meet Captain Goram Peterson.

He has quite the sense of humor. More important, he and his crew did a stellar job carefully navigating Radiance of the Seas through the narrow passages in Tracy Arm Fjord. But I also remember him well for his humorous comments, funny announcements, and cake-building exercise in the Centrum. Here he was onstage at the C&A Party.

051114_Icy_Straight_Point_L7_Crown_Anchor_Party_Captain_Peterson.jpg

It is fair to day that the work of the Captain and Cruise Director have a lot to do with the overall passenger experience, and both Capt. Peterson and CD Amy Fickert were fantastic at their jobs, and even more important...brought humor, fun, and professionalism to their roles in our experience. Kudos to both of them.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

Thanks for reposting the pictures and explaining the blue ice. I keep telling my DH look at this picture. I'm really enjoying your review, we're going later this summer. Amy was our CD on the Oasis and I agree she is quite nice and a very busy woman.

Thanks so much for the review and the pictures. We are also on this cruise next year. Could you tell us a little more about your Tracy Arm day cruising. When you woke up, were you already in the Tracy Arm? Did you spend most of the day getting to the glacier? I didn't know if there was a particular part of the day that was more scenic...i.e. early morning, afernoon, or entire day. We are really looking forward to that day. We have an aft balcony.

Oops, edited to add another question.....I read that Rita's Cantina is converted to Rita's Crabshack during the Alaska run. Did you try them out? How was the seafood?

Thanks!

Cheryl

Edited by Cheryl H

I am reposting some of the missing photos again...since the originals "disappeared" for no known reason...these are from the Vancouver Tour...

051614_Vancouver_Tour_of_the_City_D1.jpg

051614_Vancouver_Tour_of_the_City_D5_Stanley_Park_Lions_Gate_Bridge.jpg

051614_Vancouver_Tour_of_the_City_D3_Stanley_Park_Point_View.jpg

051614_Vancouver_Tour_of_the_City_G8A_Granville_Island.jpg

051614_Vancouver_Tour_of_the_City_J2_Canada_Place.jpg

We are considering doing the 4 hour Vancouver City tour and the Victoria tour with Landsea Tours. Did you have to reserve & pay for your tours ahead of time? I worry if I prepay for the Victoria tour and the weather is really bad will I regret a 12 hour tour. The city tour I most likely will book before regardless of weather and then I hope I can check out the weather forecast for the next day and if good reserve it then. Do you think there would be availability a day before?

Did you eat on the ferry to Victoria if so what kind of menu did they offer?

Your report is great and your photo's are fabulous, thanks especially for the re posting.

Edited by Lorey2007

Thanks CRUISEFAN00001 for the great review. Photos look fabulous, and thanks for re-posting them.

I have a question regarding taxi fare. You said you took a taxi from your hotel to the B pier, can you tell me how much it was? Did it take long to get there, and did you pay in US or CA dollars?

We arrive on our southbound Radiance Cruise to the B pier, so I am trying to plan transportation to our hotel for four of us.

Lei

Thanks so much for the review and the pictures. We are also on this cruise next year. Could you tell us a little more about your Tracy Arm day cruising. When you woke up, were you already in the Tracy Arm? Did you spend most of the day getting to the glacier? I didn't know if there was a particular part of the day that was more scenic...i.e. early morning, afernoon, or entire day. We are really looking forward to that day. We have an aft balcony.

Oops, edited to add another question.....I read that Rita's Cantina is converted to Rita's Crabshack during the Alaska run. Did you try them out? How was the seafood?

Thanks!

Cheryl

The Tracy Arm Fjord day starts out (sunrise) approaching the entrance...and takes another 45 or so minutes to get into the beginning of that amazing channel. The roundtrip to and from the end (Sawyer Glacier) takes about 2/3 of the day, and is worth every second. As is the case nearly every stop...the clouds hang low in the morning and burn off or rise mid-morning...so the best viewing is late morning or most of the afternoon. All the photos in the world can't do justice to the trek going carefully down the water channel in the fjord and seeing the magnificent views all around. If you have an aft balcony, your best bet is going to the helipad or an upper deck for the entering experience and your balcony on the return out of the fjord.

Rita's was still the "Cantina" on our cruise...and somewhat empty most of the time...since it's located at the back of Windjammer...some people likely didn't even know it was there.

We are considering doing the 4 hour Vancouver City tour and the Victoria tour with Landsea Tours. Did you have to reserve & pay for your tours ahead of time? I worry if I prepay for the Victoria tour and the weather is really bad will I regret a 12 hour tour. The city tour I most likely will book before regardless of weather and then I hope I can check out the weather forecast for the next day and if good reserve it then. Do you think there would be availability a day before?

Did you eat on the ferry to Victoria if so what kind of menu did they offer?

Your report is great and your photo's are fabulous, thanks especially for the re posting.

We booked online...for both tours. We can't recommend Land & Seas tours high enough. All we had to do is show up and enjoy the experiences. They do tend to get booked up pretty well, but can add more buses if they need them - and they pick you up right at your downtown hotel. Not sure if you can book last-minute...suspect you can...but we booked a month in advance. All their info is on the website:

http://vancouvertours.com/tour/vancouver/

Thanks CRUISEFAN00001 for the great review. Photos look fabulous, and thanks for re-posting them.

I have a question regarding taxi fare. You said you took a taxi from your hotel to the B pier, can you tell me how much it was? Did it take long to get there, and did you pay in US or CA dollars?

We arrive on our southbound Radiance Cruise to the B pier, so I am trying to plan transportation to our hotel for four of us.

Lei

The taxi to & from Ballantyne Pier from the downtown Marriott was $14 each way (American dollars). It's a 12-15 minute ride depending on traffic, which was not at all bad either way.

Despite planning for departure from Canada Place (as RCI originally announced), we kept our Marriott Pinnacle hotel location (rather than move) because it was a great hotel and location near the harbor front and multiple places in that area. A view from the upper floors gives you a nice look at the harbor and incoming sea planes and ships.

Since there have been a number of questions and plenty of interest in the Tracy Arm Fjord itinerary/segment of the cruise...here are a few more photos.

While there are plenty of "photo ops" for this experience...no picture can give a full appreciation to how spectacular an experience it provides.

Sunrise entering the FJord:

051214_Tracy_Arm_Fjord_Cruise_Day_A4_Sunrise.jpg

Fjord Views:

051214_Tracy_Arm_Fjord_Cruise_Day_C3_Sights_while_navigating_the_Fjord.jpg

051214_Tracy_Arm_Fjord_Cruise_Day_D9_Approaching_Sawyer_Glacier.jpg

051214_Tracy_Arm_Fjord_Cruise_Day_G7_Turnaround_Views_at_Glacier.jpg

051214_Tracy_Arm_Fjord_Cruise_Day_H3_Return_Views_through_Fjord.jpg

Thanks for your report. Your photos are fantastic. I was thinking of purchasing a DSLR camera, but I think it would be too technical for me. Your camera took some amazing shots, so I will look around for a point and shoot with a decent zoom.