US Summer School Holidays

For those of us who are not from the US I am interested to know when schools closedown for the summer in the States. We are on the BA Sunday week - will these coincide with lots of kids on vacation?

No problem if it will but just want to be prepared. UK kids break from the last week of July so it's different over here.

The dates vary widely with some parts of the country getting off by mid May. Pretty much everyone is out by mid to late June. There is a small segment that actually have year round schools with varied time off.

In your case, you will have lots of kids onboard.

Here in MD most of the kids are out of school now (mine have their last day today!!). I imagine we will have lots of kids on our cruise on Sunday... but, it won't be overwhelming. We always cruise this time of year and have never felt like the ship was overrun with kids.

If you haven't done so already, come join our roll call! Our Meet N Greet is Monday at 11:00 in La Cucina. Hope to see you there!

In my little neck of the NY woods.. most schools go right to that last week in June. Albeit not full days, and for the higher grades they'll be taking finals and such, but ever since I was a kid waaaaaaaay back when.. our school year always began the Wed after Labor Day, until the last full week of June, and it's pretty much the same now. We used up so many snow days this year with all of our blizzards and storms that we went over the allotted amount, and now have a few extra full days tacked on that might have otherwise not taken them right to the very last Friday of June.

But it's safe to say... Schools Out for Summah! :cool:

Edited by VickiD59

For those of us who are not from the US I am interested to know when schools closedown for the summer in the States. We are on the BA Sunday week - will these coincide with lots of kids on vacation?

No problem if it will but just want to be prepared. UK kids break from the last week of July so it's different over here.

My son just finished his Senior year of high school during the last week of May. The lower grades will finish up one week from today. We're in Massachusetts.

BTW, we are on the same sailing as you! :)

For those of us who are not from the US I am interested to know when schools closedown for the summer in the States. We are on the BA Sunday week - will these coincide with lots of kids on vacation? ...

Yes. Some states finished the end of May, others the first or second week of June. So there are already hundreds of schools out for summer vacation. Our local schools have been out for two weeks.

It varies from state to state, but by now all schools are out for summer. The earliest is late May and the latest is mid June. In fact today is probably the latest any schools are getting out; maybe there are a couple of states or districts that will not finish til next Friday. Because of our very unusual cold and snowy winter in some states this year, summer vacation is running about a week late.

Edited by newmexicoNita

We have been out since June 4th. Most everyone around here does their vacation the first full week school is out (which is Now). I know my friends in Northern Virginia get out today. But it varies around the country. I also know that several schools may have to make up snow days because of the rough winter in other parts of the USA!

It varies from state to state, but by now all schools are out for summer. The earliest is late May and the latest is mid June. In fact today is probably the latest any schools are getting out; maybe there are a couple of states or districts that will not finish til next Friday. Because of our very unusual cold and snowy winter in some states this year, summer vacation is running about a week late.

While many schools may already be on break, I can say with certainty that my dd in NYC public schools is not out until 6/26. However, city private schools end earlier.

As others have noted, there are wide variations among states, but safe to say that from late May to early September, there will probably be lots of kids on board cruises leaving from US ports.

It varies, but yeah - it's definitely summer vacation now in a lot of places. Florida schools are out in May. A lot of NE schools are out by now, some have extended schedules until next week due to the bad winter we've had.

Most NJ and NY schools get out in late June - graduation day here is June 25th. Since schools getting out this late are an easy drive to the Breakaway, there might be a tad less kids on the OP's cruise than the following week.

Most NJ and NY schools get out in late June - graduation day here is June 25th. Since schools getting out this late are an easy drive to the Breakaway, there might be a tad less kids on the OP's cruise than the following week.

We (north jersey) would have been out by now butfor the weather. In fact, today would have been the last day.

We (north jersey) would have been out by now butfor the weather. In fact, today would have been the last day.

Not us - we made up our days already (winter and spring vacation). We always get out the third week in June.

Not us - we made up our days already (winter and spring vacation). We always get out the third week in June.

You guys must start later than us. We go back right after labor day. I would have been very upset if they took days away from Christmas and spring break to make up snow days!!

The crazy part is -- In the US it doesn't seem to matter if schools are open or not, parents take the kids on cruises all year round!

Whenever we cruise there are plenty of families on board that make us look at each other and say "shouldn't those kids be in school??" HAHA!

No matter! In every case so far, the ship is so large and full of activities that they were never a bother!

HAVE FUN!!

You guys must start later than us. We go back right after labor day. I would have been very upset if they took days away from Christmas and spring break to make up snow days!!

We always go back the Wednesday after Labor Day. We have a break, in addition to Christmas and April, the third week of February. That's the break they took days from - really didn't have a choice, since legally, teachers need to be done before July 1st. It was just cutting it too close.

Our original last day of school was June 24th. Now, it's June 27th. We're going all the way to Friday to cover missed days from snow this winter.

We don't have a February break (only the Presidents' Day Monday and perhaps Tuesday) so there was no break to take days back, although they did take back the Tuesday off. We did not lose days from our spring break so the only option was going to the end of the month.

We start next year on Wednesday after Labor Day.