What do you LOVE about P&O?

Presto2

We have cruised 4 times, 3 with P&O.

My wife is disabled and is in a wheelchair. The ability to have assistance at airports is good but even more impressive is the help and assistance P&O staff give us.

Another great thing which makes things a lot easier is the fact that luggage when booked in is not seen again until it's in your cabin.

Overall they are great in so many aspects.

We are on them again in 2015 for 24 days in a suite.

We have cruised 4 times, 3 with P&O.

My wife is disabled and is in a wheelchair. The ability to have assistance at airports is good but even more impressive is the help and assistance P&O staff give us.

Another great thing which makes things a lot easier is the fact that luggage when booked in is not seen again until it's in your cabin.

Overall they are great in so many aspects.

We are on them again in 2015 for 24 days in a suite.

Thanks for revisiting this thread - great to hear the good news about P&O. :)

I was simply responding to the poster who said Southampton is mainly industrial. Having sailed the Solent for many years, i beg to differ.

Sorry I don't understand.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Hi

Just looking with interest,as we have chosen a P&O cruise next September, having so far only sailed with Princess (2 cruises....one of which in a few days).

The only reason for the switch was the itinerary...... P&O suited us far better (next year anyway)

I love the sea day when they have the stands and demonstrations and you meet some of the crew and officers and you can ask the technical crew/officers questions.

On our last cruise on Oceana we paid for a tour of the ship plus meeting the Captain on the Bridge. Ok it cost us £70 each, but it was a fantastic way to spend 3 / 4 hours on our last day. We saw life below decks and spent at least half an hour or more on the Bridge with the Captain. We then had champagne and canapés in his room where he was happy to chat for 45 minutes or more and answer questions. It was an amazing experience and money well spent --- our onboard credit in effect. There were about 16 of us in total.

All credit to the Captain though who was happy to spend a long time with us - memories to cherish.

If they do something similar on the Britannia we will be the first to book up. It stopped our last day from being a sad one ----- well sort of.

Hi

Just looking with interest,as we have chosen a P&O cruise next September, having so far only sailed with Princess (2 cruises....one of which in a few days).

The only reason for the switch was the itinerary...... P&O suited us far better (next year anyway)

I do hope that you enjoy P&O. Just think that P&O is a British cruise line and enjoy it for what it is. We have done 4 cruises on American cruise lines now and 3 with British ones. They are very different - just go with an open mind and make the most of it. Don't blame P&O is if is different from its American cousin.

(The strategy we have developed with our holidays - land and sea - is that sometimes you just have to laugh at the eccentricities that make them different!)

One thing you will find is that the cruise will be far cheaper on P&O. No service charges, far cheaper wine prices, cheaper excursion prices etc.

Any questions, just ask --- most of us are a friendly bunch. ;)

On our last cruise on Oceana we paid for a tour of the ship plus meeting the Captain on the Bridge. Ok it cost us £70 each, but it was a fantastic way to spend 3 / 4 hours on our last day. We saw life below decks and spent at least half an hour or more on the Bridge with the Captain. We then had champagne and canapés in his room where he was happy to chat for 45 minutes or more and answer questions. It was an amazing experience and money well spent --- our onboard credit in effect. There were about 16 of us in total.

All credit to the Captain though who was happy to spend a long time with us - memories to cherish.

If they do something similar on the Britannia we will be the first to book up. It stopped our last day from being a sad one ----- well sort of.

We have done a couple of these and paid for neither, quite enjoyed them but not sure I would see £70 in value in it, but interesting nonetheless.

We have done a couple of these and paid for neither, quite enjoyed them but not sure I would see £70 in value in it, but interesting nonetheless.

I suppose it is the world we live in - a good way to spend our on board credit. Loved every minute. We got lots of freebies after as well as photos so not sure if that was in the 'free' tours. ??? :)

Yes on previous cruises on smaller ships, we have visited the engine room and also the bridge where we spent 2 hours! Certainly wouldn't pay for it though. We were lucky enough to get chatting to the Captain and said we had sailed in through the locks to Amsterda in our boat, so as we were going to the same place, he invited us up to see what it was like on a big ship,.

Yes on previous cruises on smaller ships, we have visited the engine room and also the bridge where we spent 2 hours! Certainly wouldn't pay for it though. We were lucky enough to get chatting to the Captain and said we had sailed in through the locks to Amsterda in our boat, so as we were going to the same place, he invited us up to see what it was like on a big ship,.

I suppose we paid for the extra food, nibbles, canapés and champagne - and gifts afterwards. It was one of the highlights of our cruise and, to us, the things that memories are made of, so money well spent. I can see what you mean if you got something similar for nothing though. I suppose Oceana has very special memories for us so that made it even more special. :)

Thank you Presto2, may well ask questions as they arise!!!

No problem - and there are many P&O fans (with far more experience that us) only happy to help.

(Now that last sentence sounds very American ?!)

Have a nice day ;)

Thanks Presto2 for the tour comments. We gave it serious consideration on previous cruise and hearing what you say will probably go for it when we next have the chance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First timer cruiser in 20 days on Oceana.

Love this thread, it's making me even more excited. I am going to savour every last moment of the cruise, smile, relax and enjoy..

Too many people are miserable and want to complain in life about, in the grand scheme of things, trivial stuff.

I am looking forward to sea days, port days, the FOOD, and the ambience..

Better take the running shoes as a pay off for the food...:D

Love this thread, it's making me even more excited. I am going to savour every last moment of the cruise, smile, relax and enjoy..

Too many people are miserable and want to complain in life about, in the grand scheme of things, trivial stuff.

Agreed. Have a great time.

Thanks Presto2 for the tour comments. We gave it serious consideration on previous cruise and hearing what you say will probably go for it when we next have the chance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You'll have a great 2 / 3 hours. Hope you enjoy your tour half as much as we did and you'll be happy. :):D

Yep, that's the way to look at it....there's so much to enjoy at sea; not worth worrying about the little things that will go wrong !

I enjoy lots of things about P&O. I like the 3 dress codes on most of the smaller ships as I enjoy a classic-style cruise and the degree of formality that brings. I generally enjoy the headliners shows. I enjoy hosted deck quoits out on teak decks.

Also, as I now cruise solo sometimes, I like both the familiarity and the way things are organised for solo travellers. Mind you, I am not so keen on the prices for solo travellers - but that is the same on most lines.

I'm just under a month before my next P&O cruise on Oceana. This will be my 14th cruise all bar 5 have been with P&O. I've never really thought they were my preferred cruise line because I factor in itinery, time of year, price etc when selecting future cruises. Having said that, I do feel they give excellent value for money regardless of cost cutting exercises people complain of. I've booked Oriana for November 2015 and my husband has today booked us on Ventura for April 2015. I realise some of the more elite companies may have a head start with those little extras special touches and so on but for us, we are happy we can afford to cruise with any cruise line and we're more than satisfied with P&O for all the reasons previous posters have stated.

Liverpool? Yes please, I have looked and will definitely sail from there in the future.

North Shields? Oh, how I wish. Preferring not to fly, living in Northumberland, it's a bit of a trek to Southampton.

I like P&O UK's liberal attitude to bringing on a few wines at Ports, like to try the local ones. Also I reckon the Headbangers, sorry the Headliners are terrific entertainment.

I know some don't but we love the 'Great British Sailaway's up top, aft. Great fun, knees up and sing song with a bit of flag waving thrown in, we take our little Australian Flags on board, for a stir, the cruise staff stir us up about that too, all part of it.

As for tucker, nice to get some decent and edible bacon on P&O UK, the Princess streaky bacon is nuked, but that is how the Americans like it. Whilst on food, don't mind the odd kipper for breakfast either, something unique to the British ships.

Finally, we feel very comfortable cruising on P&O UK with mainly British pax. All very sociable. Whilst not entirely happy with the 3 dress codes, I accept it. Personally I would prefer one formal a week and smart casual in the MDR at other times, like Princess Cruises.

Edited by NSWP