Caribbean Cruising?

mariner

I assume you mean percentage, correct? Because in terms of raw numbers, the increase in numbers of passengers from 2000 to 2012 was significantly definitely in North America's favor. (Source: Cruise Market Watch.)

Yes, I was referring to percentages. It is definitely true that the largest number of cruisers are North Americans, but I think that may change in the coming years.

There are several issues driving the cruise lines to base their ships outside the USA. Of course one goal is to attract new passengers from other parts of the world. But there is also the issue of new pollution regulations that are going to soon force all cruise ships (cruising in or out of a USA port) to use more expensive low sulfur fuel. And there are the usual PVSA issues, dealing with the US authorities, constant issues with various inspections, increased port costs, etc. And then there are complications within some US ports. As an example, Charleston built a nice new cruise port but then as the result of local protests and politics did everything possible to discourage ships from calling at that port. The Caribbean remains a great cruise area, but has become more saturated with cruise ship berths and ships. This forces the cruise lines to reduce prices (and profits).

Hank

Years ago, we sailed b-to-b 14 days from/to San Juan on Princess and stayed in San Juan for a few days before and after. We loved it though we weren't as satisfied with Princess as we would have liked. It was the last time we sailed Princess.

We have done quite a few back-to-back Caribbean cruises out of San Juan.

In fact our first cruise(s) was (were) back-to-back cruises on the Cunard Countess our of San Juan.

Then we did several back-to-back Princess cruises from there and enjoyed them.

Back then we had more flights to get there than we have now -- it would be 2 connections just to get there now instead of 1.

I mention this because Seabourn (a subsidiary) has sold its ships that sail the Caribbean. And it's becoming near impossible to find a Caribbean cruise from FLL on them.

I have some from them - but I wouldn't do a Seabourn or a Prinsendam in the Caribbean. Part of their lure is their unique ports - they are using their niche I think and they are wise in doing so ;)

Caribbean cruise will always be around, same with Mexico, Alaska and the likes. We are like many others on this thread. We've done all of these so many times that we hardly ever get off the ship any more. Because we won't/don't fly great distances we prefer the closer area's to us for cruising. Cruise lines adjust to current trends and we'll just have to hope there are some in our future, where we want to travel.

(snip)

Back then we had more flights to get there than we have now -- it would be 2 connections just to get there now instead of 1.

This is not true at all. You can fly multiple routes from Pittsburgh to San Juan with one stop. Delta and United offer hundreds of flight options daily. We flew PIT to San Juan three months ago through Charlotte. Total trip took around 6 hours. Easy peasy.

I think you need a TA for air travel - you've said puzzling things about Pittsburgh's air situation recently that aren't accurate.

God bless NYC. 6 hours to San Juan? I can think of plenty of places I can reach in 6 hours and San Juan aint one of them.

Non-stop Boston to San Juan is under 6 hours flight time. Surely NY to San Juan is faster?

I can be in San Juan in little more than 2, counting the tarmac wait.

San Juan is great. We had some fabulous vacations there and love port stops. Great food. :)

There are several issues driving the cruise lines to base their ships outside the USA. Of course one goal is to attract new passengers from other parts of the world. But there is also the issue of new pollution regulations that are going to soon force all cruise ships (cruising in or out of a USA port) to use more expensive low sulfur fuel. And there are the usual PVSA issues, dealing with the US authorities, constant issues with various inspections, increased port costs, etc. And then there are complications within some US ports. As an example, Charleston built a nice new cruise port but then as the result of local protests and politics did everything possible to discourage ships from calling at that port. The Caribbean remains a great cruise area, but has become more saturated with cruise ship berths and ships. This forces the cruise lines to reduce prices (and profits).

Hank

The soon to be implemented low-sulfur fuel regulations will increase total costs dramatically. Fuel is the most variable and volatile cost when offering a cruise. Conservative estimates are that it will add an extra $250 - $300 to the average ticket price. This after some cruise lines have had years of reducing ticket prices to attract passengers, many passengers who now have become very price sensitive.

Our, now my, cruises to the Caribbean in recent years are all about the ship and the weather. We sailed to the islands so many times, had so many resort stays in lots of the islands and it isn't about culture and touring or banana plantations at this point. For DH, it was R&R from his hard work and for me it was the ship life and escape from cold New England winters. :)

Whoever wrote, as long as it snows, there will be Caribbean cruises, is likely correct. :D

That's correct as far as our cold winters are concerned - me being Canadian. I just love the beautiful scenery, the crystal aqua blue water, the gorgeous soft sandy beaches, the sights, sounds and smells of the Caribbean. There is always something new to see and new people to meet. I think if I sailed it 1000 times, I would still experience something new and exciting.