Caribbean Cruising?

mariner

The ships will go where they can make the most money.

If that is Asia, SOME of the ships will home port and sail in Asia but there will still be some ships left to sail Caribbean a certain number of months per year. Carnival has invested way too much in 'cruise line created ports' to abandon them. The competition to sell cabins is fierce so some ships will happily sail away. :)

I for one would do a happy dance if Caribbean raises were a relic of the past. Free up ships for worthwhile itineraries.

I know I'm in a very small minority in that thinking. ;)

Don't we each get to decide what is 'worthwhile'? :D

What is not worthwhile about those of us from cold northern areas wanting to get some sun and fun in the warm Caribbean in the middle of a frigid, snowy winter?

What is not worthwhile for a family to spend holiday vacations aboard celebrating together?

You get my point. ;)

I have zero desire to travel half way around the universe. I'm still working and that's way too far to go. I'll take the Caribbean any day.

Retired ... but still agree. If we have not already been, we have no desire to do so now. Too much air travel is no fun for us now. :rolleyes:

LuLu

I received emails for Alaskan cruises for $249 inside cabin.

By the time a HAL ship leaves Ft. Lauderdale on a low fair repositioning cruise followed by a 1-4 day coastal cruise then $249 for Alaskan cruises. It would probably be cheaper to leave a ship in Lauderdale.

Yes I know they were here once but are afraid of hurricanes. That Hasn't stopped Carnival Breeze, Liberty and Freedom from staying in Florida not to mention big RCL ships like "Schleppers Of The Seas"

I love the caribbean!!! I try & cruise /go there every year. I am still working. long way off from retiring..........lol I only get so many vacation days a year. Do not want to waste any of the days traveling half way around the world too far for me to go. I will take the caribbean anyday :D (just saying)

All 3 of the Florida East Coast ports have been showing year over year passenger growth, even with the economy being in the shape it's in. The cruise industry isn't a zero sum game. Cruise lines can add ships to other markets without closing down the Caribbean.

Asia is growing fast because it's got a small existing base, hence big percentage growth from modest numeric increases. It's also got a whole lot of people. While RCCL is putting a new ship in that market, a lot of the floating stock going into the Asian markets is older. Like it or not, the North American customers are still the ones who spend the most on cruising.

Edited by POA1

We also love the Caribbean, and although we routinely cruise all over the globe (like many HAL cruisers) we still like to spend about 2 weeks a year in the Caribbean. But of all the major cruise lines we have used in the Caribbean (RCI, Carnival, HAL, Celebrity, Norwegian, Regency (not defunct), Princess, etc) we find HAL to be the absolute worst! It is not that we do not like HAL (we are 4 Star Mariners) but we have found that they are a poor fit in those waters. About 18 months ago (Dec 2012) we again returned to thhe Caribbean on the Westerdam for 14 days. Never again. HAL reduced their port times (it saves them fuel/money) and we did not appreciate having to be back aboard at 3 pm when other cruise lines do not leave until 5. We also found it difficult to get into the Caribbean spirit when HAL provided a solo rock guitar player (who probably never played a Bob Morley song in his life) who played at the pool for the few comatose passengers who even bothered to go to the pool. For these waters our favorite ship/itinerary is the true 14 day cruise (this is not a back to back like the Westerdam) offered by Celebrity (currently done by the gorgeous Eclipse). Most lines have abandoned true 14 day cruises in favor of the more lucrative 7 day back to backs (we hate the turn around days).

Hank

Because we both have health issues, especially DH, we can not fly long distances like we used to. Therefore we have no choice but to cruise the Caribbean for the very few months that HAL is there.

But now with fewer ships soon to be in the HAL fleet, and HAL moving more ships out of the Caribbean, we will be looking at other cruise lines.

The Caribbean cruise industry will continue on. The cruise industry deployment though has been shifting. The North American cruise market place is considered a mature market. There isn't much room for growth and supply tends to equal demand. The cruise lines have no choice but to look outside the North American market in order to grow.

In 2000, the Caribbean accounted for 52% of ship deployment, Europe 22%, North America Seasonal 13%, Alaska 7%, International 4%, and Other 2%.

In 2012, the Caribbean is at 43%, Europe 31%, International 10%, North America Seasonal 8%, Alaska 5%, and other 3%.

So while the industry has grown since 2000, the Caribbean's share of it has decreased.

The top source markets for cruising since 2006 are the USA, UK, Australia, and Canada. This is where the vast majority of cruisers reside. But there is also an interesting trend occurring. The countries with the greatest increase in cruisers are Brazil, Germany, Australia, and France.

And then we throw in the mix emerging markets. In 2011, there were about 300,000 cruisers from China, 271,000 from Scandinavia, 226,000 from India, and 190,000 from Japan. With a total population of over 1.3 billion, any cruise line that is able to get a foothold into the Chinese marketplace may well be positioning itself for a very profitable future. Is there any wonder why RCL is sending Quantum to China? The industry is also seeing that cruisers from China, on average, spend much more per day than North American cruisers.

While the industry is changing, it isn't, by no means, dead. The Caribbean marketplace will continue to go on with millions of cruisers visiting each year. But, you may not see as many new ships in the Caribbean market place and you may continue to see lower prices to attract passengers. Many ports are starting to complain that cruise passengers are spending less and less while in ports, and this may continue.

I for one would do a happy dance if Caribbean raises were a relic of the past. Free up ships for worthwhile itineraries.

I know I'm in a very small minority in that thinking. ;)

True ... worthwhile is a relative term. When we go to a port there we tend to focus on the history and nature of the island. We come away with a feeling that we've had a worthwhile time. (we don't normally go to the beach on cruises as we live a mile from the beach) :)

We enjoy those Caribbean trips - and we enjoy being aboard a ship equally as much. DH has mobility problems (needs a cane to maneuver) and cruises, regardless of the destination are good for him. Also, due to health issues he can't fly so there aren't a lot of choices of "worthwhile" non-Caribbean itineraries that don't involve flying.:(

The top source markets for cruising since 2006 are the USA, UK, Australia, and Canada. This is where the vast majority of cruisers reside. But there is also an interesting trend occurring. The countries with the greatest increase in cruisers are Brazil, Germany, Australia, and France.

I assume you mean percentage, correct? Because in terms of raw numbers, the increase in numbers of passengers from 2000 to 2012 was significantly definitely in North America's favor. (Source: Cruise Market Watch.)

Don't we each get to decide what is 'worthwhile'? :D

What is not worthwhile about those of us from cold northern areas wanting to get some sun and fun in the warm Caribbean in the middle of a frigid, snowy winter?

What is not worthwhile for a family to spend holiday vacations aboard celebrating together?

You get my point. ;)

My last sentence accounts for your points. It simply is my opinion - we won't/don't sail there so ships other places is better for us specifically. Like I said originally, it is my opinion and I know I'm in the very small minority.

Caribbean cruises are never going away ...

My last sentence accounts for your points. It simply is my opinion - we won't/don't sail there so ships other places is better for us specifically. Like I said originally, it is my opinion and I know I'm in the very small minority.

Caribbean cruises are never going away ...

You are right - Caribbean cruises will never go away. I too will be happy if there are more interesting itineraries planned for some of the ships.

We 'escape' to the Caribbean every couple of years (or more often if there is a last minute deal and IF we can get a decent flight). But let's be honest, how many banana plantations does anyone want to see? LOL.

Our real joy comes out of those 'different' itineraries where we see new culture, enjoy some culture, the people, etc.

I suspect there will be enough Caribbean offerings for some time to come to keep everyone happy.

We also like 14 days and have no use for B2B in the Caribbean. Absolutely sold on the 14 day Eclipse route. Fabulous ship, fabulous itinerary.

We just wish that one of the cruise lines would do a 14 day from San Juan so we could avoid FLL/MIA altogether.

Our, now my, cruises to the Caribbean in recent years are all about the ship and the weather. We sailed to the islands so many times, had so many resort stays in lots of the islands and it isn't about culture and touring or banana plantations at this point. For DH, it was R&R from his hard work and for me it was the ship life and escape from cold New England winters. :)

Whoever wrote, as long as it snows, there will be Caribbean cruises, is likely correct. :D

We also like 14 days and have no use for B2B in the Caribbean. Absolutely sold on the 14 day Eclipse route. Fabulous ship, fabulous itinerary.

We just wish that one of the cruise lines would do a 14 day from San Juan so we could avoid FLL/MIA altogether.

Years ago, we sailed b-to-b 14 days from/to San Juan on Princess and stayed in San Juan for a few days before and after. We loved it though we weren't as satisfied with Princess as we would have liked. It was the last time we sailed Princess.

I have zero desire to travel half way around the universe. I'm still working and that's way to far to go. I'll take the Caribbean ant day.
Pretty sure that Carnival's idea (as well as other lines) is to capture the Asian tourists right where they live and not-so-much to get the North Americans to go to Asia. Many Asians have newfound spendable cash so it is a brand new marketplace with a billion new customers.:eek:

Perhaps time to buy more stock.;)

With the Middle East in such a turmoil, who knows what will happen to world economy? Nothing happens in a bubble anymore. We are one global experience these days. What happens in Iraq, Syria, Iran, Egypt, Pakistan, Afghanistan etc etc impacts whether the Chinese, Japanese or for that matter Canadians, Americans, Brits etc will hunker down or will spend and cruise.

Oil has climbed to over $100/barrel. Has it reached it's high yet? Who knows?

Will stocks crash? Will housing collapse again? Who knows?

Edited by sail7seas

Sail7seas, I wrote about the snow. Guess where I live? MinneSNOWda! We to have been to all the islands and ports multiple times. For us it is about reading, relaxing and sun.....and someone else cooking and cleaning. We rarely leave the ship on our b2b's anymore......but we always enjoy ourselves. We have no expectations or need to rush anywhere. It is cheaper to do cruising in the Caribbean than go to one island for two weeks. I have a feeling others do the same and thus there continues to be a market for Caribbean cruises.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app