Wine store near Cape Liberty

We are cruising out of Cape Liberty next year. We will be staying one night at the Embassy Suites Staten Island. Are there any wine stores close enough to walk? Or is it possible to take a taxi back and forth? Since we are flying, we won't bring our wine with us. Thanks for your help.

Margee

There are liquor stores on SI, but nothing close to the hotel. There is also a liquor store on Rte 440 in NJ, on the way to the port-but I don't think the hotel shuttle will stop for you- you could try. Good luck

Only one I know of is on Elizabeth:

http://www.worldofliquor.com/

Bayway World of Liquor

639 Bayway Ave. (NJTP Exit 13)

Elizabeth, NJ 07202

Phone: 908.353.6300

Store Hours - Monday thru Saturday 9am – 9:30pm & Sunday 12pm - 5pm

Thanks for the info. I saw on their web site they do deliveries. Do you know if this is possible or are there legal reasons why not? We may have to get a group to taxi there -- we have done this before at other ports when we were traveling with friends. Is this a viable idea?

Margee

Thanks for the geography lesson. I guess we won't be able to take our own wine on board. We will enjoy ourselves anyway

Margee

Find another online seller in the state who does deliver (IF legally possible, statelaw etc) to your hotel, let the hotel know you are expecting a parcel, have the seller mark it with something like "Hold for future guest margeecruiser, arrival 1/1/2015". Have it send in a few days before your stay. There might be a fee from the hotel, depends.

Those taxi costs will probably go into the shipping costs but you will have more time on site and less hassle? :)

Thanks for the geography lesson. I guess we won't be able to take our own wine on board. We will enjoy ourselves anyway

Margee

Why don't you wrap your wine well (bubble wrap and a giant zip lock bag) and put it in your checked luggage, and put some clothes in your carry on? When you get to Newark put the wine in your carry on and repack your clothes in the suitcase.

We won't have enough free weight allowance to pack our wine. That stuff is heavy! This is a 12 night cruise and we are doing a 9 night B2B, so we could take 4 bottles on, they keep 2 for the next leg. There must be a good wine store in Elizabeth and if we get a bunch together, we can taxi over there. We will get to our hotel with plenty of tine for a 'wine run' . We have done this many times when sailing out of Ft Lauderdale,but there are 2 great wine stores within about one block. Easy to do. We have a year and a half to plan this, so I'm not worried. I'm just an extreme over-planner! Drives Bill crazy, but he always appreciates the no-hassle result.

Margee

That makes sense. OK - so you're staying on Staten Island at the Hampton Inn, which is in the middle of nowhere in a wooded corporate park away from the local hustle and bustle of the area. The only dining choice within walking distance is the Hilton Gardens next door.

So let's get some opinions from folks who know Staten Island. Perhaps there is a dining option that is also located near a liquor store, so you could get dinner and wine with one cab ride. I seem to remember a discussion of the Staten Island Mall at some point.

Margee - you have lots of time. We don't get a lot of detailed questions about Staten Island, so it may take a while to get the info you are looking for.

All Staten Island residents, save 2, go to NJ to buy liquor.

Bayway Liquor, on Bayway Avenue, is just over the Goethals Bridge in Elizabeth. If you get to Richmond Avenue on Staten Island there are several liquor stores either side of Nome Avenue.

Hope this helps.

suggestion:)

Maybe someone on your roll call can pick the wine up for you, then meet up and settle at the port. Maybe, even consider sending them the money via check/paypal ahead of the pick up, so as they wouldn't feel they were out anything.

I have offered this once myself....worked great.

Many stores in Jersey let you order online ahead of time, then you set an approx. pick up time.

You preselect your choices, so your RC member doesn't have to shop for the wine.

Quick in/out;)

Plenty of time to sort it out, tho.

Do you know how far this would be from the Embassy Suites in Elizabeth?

You MAY be able to get the ES shuttle to take you...when I was there the shuttle driver suggested that the van would take people within a 3-ish mile radius....why not call and ask....they may know of another one..

sent from my ellipsis..

You MAY be able to get the ES shuttle to take you...when I was there the shuttle driver suggested that the van would take people within a 3-ish mile radius....why not call and ask....they may know of another one..

sent from my ellipsis..

Good idea! It's worth a shot... thanks