Dentist on Nieuw Amsterdam?

jakartatom

Do anyone know if there is dental service on the Nieuw Amsterdam and if so their level of ability? Do they have the equipment to do much?

My problem is I cracked/broke a molar 1 day before we leave and the pain is going to ruin this trip if not addressed.

Do anyone know if there is dental service on the Nieuw Amsterdam and if so their level of ability? Do they have the equipment to do much?

My problem is I cracked/broke a molar 1 day before we leave and the pain is going to ruin this trip if not addressed.

Twice I've had dental abscesses literally the day before we leave for a cruise. Each time needed an extraction. Ended up at a local oral surgeon for an emergency extraction each time, and was able to leave for the ship with a clear mind. See your own or another dentist ASAP, don't wait for the ship.

There are no dental services aboard HAL ships. Is there a shore based dentist who can see you before you leave? Maybe he can set you up with someone on your first port of call. I know it would take away from your port day but if you are suffering you are not going to enjoy yourself ashore anyway. Let us know how you make out.

Years ago HAL used to have dentists on all their ships. But not any more.

If a person has a dental problem while cruising, they will recommend a dentist in the ports. It is up to you to get there and back and pay for the services.

You would be best to get this taken care of before you get on the ship.

Years ago, my DH worked on HAL as a dentist. He did a one or two week stink at a time. The dentists were all American and went through some screening process before being hired by a company called Sea Dent. For financial reasons, Hal ended the contract with Sea Dent and then hired the dentists directly. Then, they cut out the program and emptied out the dental operatory. The dentists were there to work on the crew and do emergency issues for passengers.

The two docs onboard HAL ships (one pax + one crew doc) have a dental kit at their disposal. They are obviously not dentists as Carol described. For any immediate dental issues (pax & crew), in-port shore-side referrals to dentists are used through the assistance of the local port agent

Looking at my post above, obviously I meant stint, not stink. My bad.:(

I too had a good laugh over your post!!:D:D

Several years ago, we were travelling with Friends & the DW broke her tooth..The front Desk arranged for her to be treated by a local Dentist in Port.. She said he was great, but unfortunately I can't remember which port it was.. She took a Cab to the Dentists office & one back to the ship..

Edited by serendipity1499

Would you want a medical doctor working on your teeth, John?

Maybe long enough to temporarily ease your pain until you get to port.

Not really; as far as I've experienced, that kit is only used for temp. fillings to hold someone over until the next port and then it's off to a local dentist for a pit stop. Bottom line; there is no longer a dentist on the ships, for pax nor crew. Both categories are referred to shore-side dentists

Edited by Copper10-8

sure is an "ouchie" during transatlantic crossings! I guess you could pain pills from the Med. Dr.

I'd doubt any heavy duty narcotics are kept in the medical center. You'd probably have to get by with Aspirin or Tylenol.

A family broke a tooth while on a Scandinavian cruise and was given this by a fellow passenger - DenTemp. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=dentemp&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=1470507203&ref=pd_sl_4z48487yg4_ee

The ship (X not HAL) then made an appointment for her with a local dentist until she returned home.

She said DenTemp was great and won't travel with out it any more.

I broke a tooth at breakfast while on a 28night cruise...yes I needed to have it fixed not wait it out. The ship arranged for me to be taken to a dentist at St. Marten and it was quick, pain free, and cheap to boot. I paid $190 total including transportation to and from which was arranged by the ship(This was NCL last year).

Only took about 2hrs out of my day in port :)

Edited by aerospace

Years ago I was Chief Offcer on a cargo vessel. Anything medical or dentistry was my 'job'. Burns, cuts etc was done on board until you could get into port. One day one of the crew had a crack tooth. Cleaned the tooth, packed with stuff and the temporary filling. Lasted until we go into port several days ago. The sailor came back with a note from from the dentist, "Doctor say you make good work!" Laugh. Best of all... all that scraping on that guy's tooth etc... didn't hurt ME at all!

Years ago I was Chief Offcer on a cargo vessel. Anything medical or dentistry was my 'job'. Burns, cuts etc was done on board until you could get into port. One day one of the crew had a crack tooth. Cleaned the tooth, packed with stuff and the temporary filling. Lasted until we go into port several days ago. The sailor came back with a note from from the dentist, "Doctor say you make good work!" Laugh. Best of all... all that scraping on that guy's tooth etc... didn't hurt ME at all!

OH My! That is too funny! :D:D Hope you gave him a big bill!

From now shall we call you Dr. instead of Capt.?

OH My! That is too funny! :D:D Hope you gave him a big bill!

From now shall we call you Dr. instead of Capt.?

Was once asked to renew marriage vows on one cruise.....International Lounge in the old NORWAY. Good party. The husband brought his wife's wedding dress.... and never told what was being planned... like 20 year anniversary. Took a real chance.... the wife looked just as beautiful and no alterations required to the dress! No bill for that one either!;)

Was once asked to renew marriage vows on one cruise.....International Lounge in the old NORWAY. Good party. The husband brought his wife's wedding dress.... and never told what was being planned... like 20 year anniversary. Took a real chance.... the wife looked just as beautiful and no alterations required to the dress! No bill for that one either!;)

Awww! How nice..Wish I could still get into my wedding dress!!:D:D:D