Any "don't miss" places to eat in port? (Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan)

PattyCruiser2013

I've seen some posts about whether or not to eat at the ports or on the ship, and i've seen the comments back on those. We will decide which is best as far as that goes.

However, we do like some good, fresh seafood and while I understand it is cheaper to eat on the ship(already paid for), is there one good restaurant you ate at that you'd highly recommend (great food, local culture, etc.) in

Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan?

If you only wanted to eat off the ship at one port and wanted a good meal (good seafood, local experience - also appropriate for kids so not the saloons some people have said no appropriate for kids :) ) which one restaurant/which port would YOU pick? Keep in mind that it does not have to be a fancy meal to be a "don't-miss" experience for us. We just want good food, with a "local" feel (i.e. not subway - which I would hope no one would pick anyway! :)).

If I'm missing some other post/sticky about this, feel free to let me know. I feel like i've lived on these boards the past few weeks and have done tons of searches for different parts of my trip research. but for this, haven't been able to narrow it down.

And yes, I know, food is a "personal" decision. Just wanted to get some opinions from all of you on what stood out and where you would go back on your next trip.

Thanks for the feedback!

Also - the restaurants don't have to be "kid-friendly" in the sense that they have kids menus. Our kids eat all kinds of seafood, fish, shellfish, etc. so we don't need something that offers chicken fingers and mac-n-cheese only :D. by kid-friendly, I really meant kid-appropriate (I've seen some reviews that say they wouldn't take their kids/grandkids into a few places)

Also, I have a running list of places in each port, so I sort of know what's out there, but I'm really looking for that "wow" factor restaurant - based on your experiences.

thanks again!

Alava's (fish and chips) in Ketchikan. A small "shack" for lack of a better word, right near the docks across from Burger Queen. Ate there back-to-back days on our ill-fated first cruising attempt on the Millennium last summer and will be back next Sunday on our "redo" Alaska cruise!

I also put in a vote for Tracy's crab shack in Juneau. It's not a restaurant. You order your food and they bring it to you. It's all outside. The food was outstanding. I got bisque soup, 4 smallish crab cakes and maybe a 10-12 ounce king crab leg for $32.50. Their menu is on the web.

Edited by aachasman

Another vote for Tracy's. We were there just two weeks ago. Really enjoyed it and met some great people that we were sharing a picnic table with.

We were there just a week ago...great new store and location.

There's a great brew pub in Skagway. It's at the end of Broadway on the right. Can't remember the name of it just now. Fish and Chips were some of the best I ever ate. We had eaten at Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau the day before. They were both great meals, just very different.

In Skagway I would look at the Skagway Fish Co. Overlooks the small boat harbor . We where in Whitehorse YT and made a day trip to Skagway by car.

It burned down in early 2013 and was rebuilt.

The DW had Halibut and chips. The halibut was fresh and moist like it was caught that morning . Had that fressh caught taste , not a previously frozen taste.

I had a steak sandwich, nice large cut of meat . Not a thin steak but more like a proper steak and cooked properly.

Tracy's Crab Shack is very good and quite popular in Juneau.........be sure to try Skagway Brewing Company.......very good fish&chips, great burgers/fries, & good brews!:D...........gets very busy especially with 4-5 cruise ships in port!

We had the best meal of our trip at Wild Alaska Catch, which is up near the IGA. Food-truck, more or less. Shrimp, halibut, dungeness crab, and more. I had shrimp and fries and it was delicious! Only cold beverages available there, so I went to the coffee-truck parked across the street for some really decent dark-roast coffee to accompany my meal.

Seating is on a deck, with picnic tables.

We had the best meal of our trip at Wild Alaska Catch, which is up near the IGA. Food-truck, more or less. Shrimp, halibut, dungeness crab, and more. I had shrimp and fries and it was delicious! Only cold beverages available there, so I went to the coffee-truck parked across the street for some really decent dark-roast coffee to accompany my meal.

Seating is on a deck, with picnic tables.

this is in Skagway. :)

What? You and other readers couldn't tell telepathically that I was looking at Skagway on Google Earth? :D :o

Thanks for catching that, BQ! :D

Of course I knew. :) :) :)

I happened to notice it going by, but now, with your report, it's a place I now want to try.

Of course I knew. :) :) :)

I happened to notice it going by, but now, with your report, it's a place I now want to try.

:D Lots of people were ordering the Dungeness crab. Alas, I've developed an allergy to crab, and didn't want to take the chance.

If (BIG "if") I can find a cheap pack 'n cruise special for a week that I don't have work, I'll be stopping in there again this season ;)

I'm salivating just thinking about it...will be over-indulging in it's amazingness in 2 weeks.

All you can eat Alderwood Smoked Salmon over an open flame with all-you-can-eat fixins!

DON'T MISS! :p :p :p :p

Sorry if I missed it... Is "salmon bake" the same as smoked salmon? Is it smoked salmon like you buy at a restaurant or store in the lower 48?

I don't eat crab or other shellfish but I'll eat smoked salmon. Would Tracey's work for me?

Or top of mt Roberts?

We cruised Alaska in very early May and I know everyone already said this but Tracy's Crab Shack in Juneau was some of the best food I have ever eaten - even the simple dinner rolls were soooo delecious!!! I had crab bisque over rice and hubby had the crab rolls, bisque and crab leg. There was a whole bunch of crew members from one of the ships in line who told Tracy "we were waiting for this day for a long time now " lol