Just curious - enough lifeboats?

Here is a photo, missed getting the entire line but it might help...
That is definitely what I call the rescue launch (RCI may have a more technical name) used for "person overboard" (along with I'm sure other duties). I have never seen that drill with the what looks like an inflatable hose. Not sure if that is involved in life saving, or if this is "other duties".

They did this 2 or 3 times during our NZ cruise & Transpacific. They did launch the rescue boat near the end of our Hawaii back to Vancouver to check out a spotted overturned boat about 18 ' long. This was 4 days out of Vancouver and they took the number of the small craft and reported.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

That is definitely what I call the rescue launch (RCI may have a more technical name) used for "person overboard" (along with I'm sure other duties). I have never seen that drill with the what looks like an inflatable hose. Not sure if that is involved in life saving, or if this is "other duties".

I agree, this is used for a quick rescue.

Always glad to see safety training!!! SOLAS....Safety of Life At Sea.

Cruisefan0001 we may never know what had happened to the overturned boat off our Hawaii cruise this past May, the rescue boat spent 30 minutes or better checking it out to make sure there was nobody underneath. Our Capt even commented that it could still be part of the debris from the Japan tsunnami which is still being found in the area we were in. However this boat didn't appear to be that old thru binnoculars.

We are sailing on the Allure next month and this has aggravated me, so I have to ask. Are there other lifeboats on the ship that you can't see or just the ones visible? It does not seem that the small amount of ones you can see will hold close to 6200 people.

Nope. And plan on your ship hitting an iceberg and sinking. I wouldn't go if I were you. :rolleyes:

Just remember if you end up in a life raft right handed people row on the right side, left handed on the left side.:D;)

You forgot the ones in the middle have to do scissors kicks in the water at the back of the raft. ;) ;)

Edited by Folk Singer

We are sailing on the Allure next month and this has aggravated me, so I have to ask. Are there other lifeboats on the ship that you can't see or just the ones visible? It does not seem that the small amount of ones you can see will hold close to 6200 people.

18 lifeboats at 370 people per boat = 6660 lifeboat spaces.

• 4 weeks later...