Just curious - enough lifeboats?

Once the life rafts are deployed, how does the crew physically get into them?

It's a long ways down to the water!! :eek:

They descend through chutes similar to this. The chute has an interior fabric wall that is supposed to create a safe descent speed. Usually on the TV in the staterooms when they have the design/building of the Oasis documentary on they will show the testing of the chutes.

Not Oasis but similar design

Vertical_Escape_Chute_of_Marine_Evacuation_System.jpg

We are sailing on the Allure next month and this has aggravated me, so I have to ask. Are there other lifeboats on the ship that you can't see or just the ones visible? It does not seem that the small amount of ones you can see will hold close to 6200 people.

Its callculated using the theory that 25% wont make it to the lifeboats, 15% will be at Guest Services complaining about the lack of shampoo in the lifeboats and 10% will still be queing in the Windjammer - so yes, there will be enough lifeboats :D

We are sailing on the Allure next month and this has aggravated me, so I have to ask. Are there other lifeboats on the ship that you can't see or just the ones visible? It does not seem that the small amount of ones you can see will hold close to 6200 people.

there is plenty lifeboat capacity. some of the large giant canisters that you see in out of the way spots are also life rafts.

Its callculated using the theory that 25% wont make it to the lifeboats, 15% will be at Guest Services complaining about the lack of shampoo in the lifeboats and 10% will still be queing in the Windjammer - so yes, there will be enough lifeboats :D

Which will work out better for the 75% trying to decide where they want to sit, on the floor smelling a fellow passenger's feet or leaning against a strangers back on the upper bench, sitting with their friends, not sitting with their relatives, getting a window seat and so on.

Once those passengers (non CC'ers) find out about the lack of shampoo there will be plenty of seating.

BTW, RINA takes into the delayed seating into the whole scheme of things when planning the actual evacuation timing. Good thing!

Sheal

Simply put YES.

Plus there are additional inflatables you don't see, mainly for crew who may not fit on the 'boat=type' lifeboats.

This is all assuming they are deployed properly before the ship leans too far to one side, etc.

There are enough lifeboats for each ship. I drink more so see double anyways.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

They descend through chutes similar to this. The chute has an interior fabric wall that is supposed to create a safe descent speed. Usually on the TV in the staterooms when they have the design/building of the Oasis documentary on they will show the testing of the chutes.

Here are a few pictures I took while on Oasis:

IMG_0983.jpg

OMG....looks like a trampoline on the water, so when they come down the chute....they could bounce right into the water!!

I hope they do some crew training on that kind of thing!

Thanks for posting this, very interesting!!

Perhaps you could share with the rest of us about the lifeboats!!!

Inquiring minds want to know! :D

Rose: Mr. Andrews, forgive me. I did the sum in my head and with the number of lifeboats times the capacity you mentioned, forgive me, but it seems that there are not enough for everyone aboard.

Thomas Andrews: 'Bout half, actually. Rose, you miss nothing, do you?

===Later that cruise===

Rose DeWitt Bukater: Mr. Andrews... I saw the iceberg and I see it in your eyes... please, tell me the truth.

Thomas Andrews: The ship will sink.

Rose DeWitt Bukater: You're certain?

Thomas Andrews: Yes. In an hour or so, all of this will be at the bottom of the Atlantic.

Cal Hockley: What?

Thomas Andrews: Please, tell only who you must. I don't wanna be responsible for a panic. And get to a boat quickly, don't wait. You remember what I told you about the boats?

Rose DeWitt Bukater: Yes... I understand.

Simply put YES.

Plus there are additional inflatables you don't see, mainly for crew who may not fit on the 'boat=type' lifeboats.

This is all assuming they are deployed properly before the ship leans too far to one side, etc.

The life rafts which are in the pods are on hydro static release system that means that at a certain depth these will release, designed to float to the surface and attached by a line secured to the ship. Once the line is pulled the life raft will automatically inflate. These also have a manual release which means that the life rafts came be released and pushed over the side and then inflated.

BEING AT SEAS IS PART OF LIFE:)

To KarinaGW...to correct you, there were NOT life jackets in our cabin. Not above the hangers, below the hangers or out on the balcony! :)

What ship were you on? I've *never* seen them without lifejackets in the cabins.

We were on the " Allure" last Spring and during the Q & A, we asked the question about life jackets in our cabin and were told that the ship had one for each passenger assigned to that particular muster station. Out of 18 cruises, this was the first that we didn't get a one in our cabin. Maybe to some people it's no big deal, but to us it was.

What ship were you on? I've *never* seen them without lifejackets in the cabins.

Allure and Oasis have never had life jackets in cabin - instructed to get them at muster station - makes sense - ships are too large - would not be possible to go back to cabin to retrieve.

Haven't been on Freedom/Independence class for a while - don't remember the policy there.

Incorrect. There are life jackets in the cabins (in the closets above the hangers). If you have a child, you should let your steward know to bring a smaller one in.

You are just no longer required to wear it to Muster.

If you are not in your cabin in the event of emergency, they will give you a jacket at your muster station. If you are in your cabin, take it from there (as well as any medications you might need).

We were on B2B Allure in May and there are not life jackets anywhere in the cabins, they are at the muster stations.

Back when we sailed on Oasis a couple of years ago they included animated footage of people using the chutes in the muster drill video, that included passengers using these chutes. Needless to say there was a loud gasp as we watched it. We've just come off Allure and I noticed that it is no longer a part of the video footage but they are still on the ship. In a real emergency I'd use whatever I had to to get off the ship.