Just curious - enough lifeboats?

We were on B2B Allure in May and there are not life jackets anywhere in the cabins, they are at the muster stations.

Back when we sailed on Oasis a couple of years ago they included animated footage of people using the chutes in the muster drill video, that included passengers using these chutes. Needless to say there was a loud gasp as we watched it. We've just come off Allure and I noticed that it is no longer a part of the video footage but they are still on the ship. In a real emergency I'd use whatever I had to to get off the ship.

This is a RCI video that shows the life rafts and chutes. Not my first choice, but beats the alternative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aFAIYsGaHY

There is also a whole section on the cruise line's website about safety and security that should answer all the OP questions.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentPage.do?cS=NAVBAR&pagename=royal_caribbean_security_guide&pnav=5&snav=8

Thanks for the link, I did not realize they could hold that many people. I would love to see inside one, just to see however, not to have to use.

At tender ports, the ship's lifeboats are commonly used as tenders. We have been on a few.

Some pictures of the lifeboats on the Celebrity Silhouette here.

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2013/12/kotor-montenegro-port-of-call.html

There is sufficient lifeboat space for the 90% of passengers that arrive for muster on time and shut up when the instructions are given. At that time they are assigned seats.

The other 10%, the ones too important to be on time, will be hanging on those rails on the sides.

There is sufficient lifeboat space for the 90% of passengers that arrive for muster on time and shut up when the instructions are given. At that time they are assigned seats.

The other 10%, the ones too important to be on time, will be hanging on those rails on the sides.

Lmao well said

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I suspect a number of people would be less than honest if they didn't admit that same thought crossed their minds during each muster drill - when those stragglers show up late and in no hurry.

On the plus side...the lifeboat units on all the ships we've enjoyed are not only impressive in terms of how they handle passenger quantities...but its good to know they get tested regularly too. We've enjoyed watching the "yellow boat dance" in the water on multiple cruises now...

The Oasis class ships have lifeboats that hold 370 people per boat...others are smaller but still a good size all the passengers...

022713_Antigua_in_Port_6_Harbor_Tour.jpg

022713_Antigua_in_Port_9A_Harbor_Tour_lifeboat_test.jpg

022713_Antigua_in_Port_8_Harbor_Tour_lifeboat_test.jpg

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

. . . its good to know they get tested regularly too. We've enjoyed watching the "yellow boat dance" in the water on multiple cruises now . . .

Absolutely -- both that the boats get tested and that the crew get a chance to operate them.

At tender ports, the ship's lifeboats are commonly used as tenders. We have been on a few.

Some pictures of the lifeboats on the Celebrity Silhouette here.

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2013/12/kotor-montenegro-port-of-call.html

Most cruise ships have SOME of their lifeboats designed to also function as tenders. Typically the tenders have higher ceiling, and more horsepower than standard lifeboats. I think that Silhouette has 22 lifeboats, and of these #7, #8, #9, #10, #11 and #12 are configured to double as tenders (not 100% sure those are the numbers, but think I'm correct).

Oasis and Allure are unusual in that they have NO lifeboats configured as tenders. I think all ships have some supplemental lifevests at the lifeboats, but Oasis and Allure were the first ships I have been on where there were no lifevests provided in passenger cabins, and ALL passenger lifevests are at the lifeboats.

Thom

Most cruise ships have SOME of their lifeboats designed to also function as tenders. Typically the tenders have higher ceiling, and more horsepower than standard lifeboats.

Oasis and Allure are unusual in that they have NO lifeboats configured as tenders.

Interesting, I didn't know that. So - the ships that have to use tenders the most due to their size - are also the only ships that don't have any tenders of their own? [emoji33]

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Interesting, I didn't know that. So - the ships that have to use tenders the most due to their size - are also the only ships that don't have any tenders of their own? [emoji33]

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Oasis class do not have any ports of call that require tenders. That is why they do not go to Coco Cay or to Grand Cayman. It is also the main reason for building the pier at Labadee.

Oasis class do not have any ports of call that require tenders. That is why they do not go to Coco Cay or to Grand Cayman. It is also the main reason for building the pier at Labadee.

Ah, ok, thanks - didn't realize that. So then, those two ships have the least number of cruise ports available to them due to size, and in addition they don't go to any ports where they tender - either those where all cruise ships tender, or ones where they'd have to tender due to their size. Wow, didn't realize their ports of call & itineraries were THAT limited!

Can't say I'll never cruise Oasis class for sure, but that would be another negative for me choosing one of them.

I watched a safety drill on the Navigator last month. Each life boat will seat 150 passengers and 5 crew members. As others have posted, covered rafts will be lowered, these will look like an inverted cone, or funnel. Some fun, hunh?

Ah, ok, thanks - didn't realize that. So then, those two ships have the least number of cruise ports available to them due to size, and in addition they don't go to any ports where they tender - either those where all cruise ships tender, or ones where they'd have to tender due to their size. Wow, didn't realize their ports of call & itineraries were THAT limited!

Can't say I'll never cruise Oasis class for sure, but that would be another negative for me choosing one of them.

Eastern is Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarten.

Western is Labadee, Falmouth (constructed partially to accept Oasis class), Cozumel.

Very limited; until they go back to Europe I don't think the big bruisers have gone anywhere else. The eastern itinerary is a longer distance and has some pretty short port times especially for Nassau 2:00 PM departure (they must be contractually obligated to deliver a certain amount of PAX per year to Nassau in order to secure berthing for the company is my guess).

When Oasis 3 comes out there is question as to if Port Canaveral gets the ship...and if it does...where does it go? My guess would be it follows an O/A itinerary with one day difference. I.E. Oasis departs Saturday doing eastern, Allure departs sunday doing western, Oasis 3 departs Saturday doing western or departs Sunday doing eastern; and then they all alternate week to week.

Either way, I assure you, there will be plenty of lifeboats. Now if Royal would just give us some lifeboats that accept casual dress on non-formal sinkings we could all be happy. :D:D

I watched a safety drill on the Navigator last month. Each life boat will seat 150 passengers and 5 crew members. As others have posted, covered rafts will be lowered, these will look like an inverted cone, or funnel. Some fun, hunh?
In the [hopefully unlikely] event they are actually needed it will sure beat swimming.

Western is Labadee, Falmouth (constructed partially to accept Oasis class), Cozumel.

Very limited; until they go back to Europe I don't think the big bruisers have gone anywhere else. The eastern itinerary is a longer distance and has some pretty short port times especially for Nassau 2:00 PM departure (they must be contractually obligated to deliver a certain amount of PAX per year to Nassau in order to secure berthing for the company is my guess).

When Oasis 3 comes out there is question as to if Port Canaveral gets the ship...and if it does...where does it go? My guess would be it follows an O/A itinerary with one day difference. I.E. Oasis departs Saturday doing eastern, Allure departs sunday doing western, Oasis 3 departs Saturday doing western or departs Sunday doing eastern; and then they all alternate week to week.

Either way, I assure you, there will be plenty of lifeboats. Now if Royal would just give us some lifeboats that accept casual dress on non-formal sinkings we could all be happy. :D:D

Six ports total in all of the Caribbean & Bahamas to pick from! Wow... Further cementing their reputation (at least for me) that they're more amusement parks which happen to float than traditional cruise ships. I guess I haven't been interested enough yet to check and realize they were THAT port-limited. :eek:

I'm wondering with all the recent focus from multiple lines if we'll end up seeing one of the three heading for China once the third one is launched.

So then, those two ships have the least number of cruise ports available to them due to size, and in addition they don't go to any ports where they tender - either those where all cruise ships tender, or ones where they'd have to tender due to their size. Wow, didn't realize their ports of call & itineraries were THAT limited!

And yet...our Allure cruise next year has all 6 of these port stops - all docked:

Barcelona, Spain

Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Marseille. France

La Spezia (Florence/Pisa), Italy

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Naples (Capri), Italy

There are plenty of ports for Allure/Oasis to dock. The choices in the Caribbean routes, however, are currently more limited - but that could change in the future beyond 2014 sometime.

Very limited; until they go back to Europe I don't think the big bruisers have gone anywhere else...

Falmouth was maybe a year later than scheduled coming on-line. During that time Oasis went to Costa Maya Mexico (I was there).

Many industrial ports can handle O-class, but often cities have nicer, closer cruise docks, and O-class can't get into these. Hong Kong and Singapore have already finished building new cruise ports capable of handling O-class (not sure where else). Build it and they will come.

Thom

Don't forget the secret aircraft hangar under the aqua theatre that holds a fleet of bell choppers that can carry everybody off, while the crew can still serve you your cocktail of the day!

While on the ROS this past March & April, we noticed the smaller yellow boat towing a yellow & looked to be inflatable bouy or whatever, does anyone know what that would have been. It never seemed to affect the lifeboats being lowered and was near the bow.

While on the ROS this past March & April, we noticed the smaller yellow boat towing a yellow & looked to be inflatable bouy or whatever, does anyone know what that would have been. It never seemed to affect the lifeboats being lowered and was near the bow.
Not quite sure what you are discussing.

There is a smaller, high speed rescue launch - is this the smaller yellow boat you are referring to? If so, I suspect that they were practicing towing a buoy to be grabbed by someone who is in the water.

"Near the bow" makes me think of the bulbous bow (a fixed part of the ship protruding forward just under the waterline). When a ship is docked usually a pennant is lowed from the bow deck to near the waterline to call attention to the bulbous bow and reduce the chance of someone accidentally running into it.

Do either of these seem to fit what you saw?

Thom