Disgusted with RC

Awww, Karina, sorry to hear that. I did it 10 years ago with my DH. The older children just wanted to give it a try. My sister and her family, who is traveling with us, feels as you and will not do it again!!

Thanks for your response!!

If you are traveling with other adult family members who arent going to Dunns River, why wouldnt you leave your 2-year-old with them? It likely wont be as fun for that child as it might be for the older ones. I'm betting the 2-year-old would have more fun staying on the ship.

Your choice of Allure for your family was a good one. To cancel the cruise and lose $1,500 is like cutting off your nose to spite your face. The cruise line will probably resell your cabins within a week. Punish the cruise line by not taking any excursion at all. Stay on the ship and enjoy all the facilities and activities on the ship and don't spend any money.

You will love, love, love this ship. It is a great ship for a family. It is one of the few ships that has a fun area for a 2 year old (Boardwalk), character parties, and 3D movies. (Exception is Disney).

On any vacation things don't always go exactly as we want them to. This happens whether you are in a luxury suite or an inside cabin. The cruiseline has to do what is best for 6,000 passengers. On my last 2 cruises there was some noro virus and we had to be served food and water. My husband was annoyed and he did not eat lunch. I told him to cool it and I got on line for our drinks. Good news - we had the cleanest hands ever and we did not get sick, we lost some weight, and we still had fantastic cruises.

Please know how lucky you are to be able to go on this wonderful cruise and don't disappoint the whole family because there was probably an accident with a child under 5 and the parents sued the cruise line.

There is no way in my opinion that a 2 year old can climb the falls. Just take a taxi and decide who among the older of you will stay with the 2 year old. We have taken 3 grandkids and DH climbed and I watched. I think there may be a charge but I don't remember.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Why not let the older kids go and then someone stay with the little ones? We were told that even though they let 5 and up go, the falls are more suitable for 8 and up, due to crowds and conditions.

That's a long bus ride too, a lot of sitting around and a long trip back, do something wth the younger kids let the older kids do the falls and meet up later.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did "secret falls" and river tubing with an independent provider. Look on trip advisor. Your 2 year old couldn't do tubing? But could do secret falls....btw there was nobody else there!!!! It was amazing as was the company we hired to drive us and have lunch!!! Best day!!!

Have to agree with the OP. Years ago, took a cruise with the kids and the cruise line would not allow us to take the 2 month old on the scuba classes. They said they had a 16 year old cutoff for certification.

Never could understand why they would not allow a two month old to take scuba lessons, after all, we grow in water before birth.

I was DISGUSTED they had such rules. :eek:

I don't think it's fair to simply bash your post/you so but I think it's equally wrong that you're only listening to the ones you agree with.

I know planning these things can be stressful and it's easy to overlook T&C's sometimes, so I don't blame you for not noticing, but as others have pointed out RCI and tour operators (especially the ones who are contracted to do business with RCI) have to worry about more than your word of honor that you'll keep tight hold of your two year old.

You know yourself and you know you would - but they don't. There are plenty of careless parents out there and they have to account for that. If, God forbid, something were to happen you'd have lawyers lobbying for your business and RCI would deal with a ton of second-guessing in the media.

Insurance regulations play a huge role in these policies and not out of pure greed either. I assure you, RCI wants you to be as happy as possible so you'll keep coming back (and be in a better mood to buy RCI-sponsored stuff) - they aren't doing this out of malice or because they don't care!

If I were you I would think long and hard about using a local private tour operator that doesn't abide by this same policy - that should tell you something about them right there.

Dunn's River Falls is super easy to get to in a taxi or mini-bus. There are guys standing around all over the place by the dock waiting to take you there. It's a fair drive from Falmouth and not as convenient as when the ships went to Ocho Rios, so plan a couple of hours of travel time, but you can usually just show up and get a ride there pretty easily. We've never done a ship tour to get there.

Tom

I agree! Why does the OP think she has to book through the cruise line or anyone else for that matter? Find a driver and GO!!!

In my opinion, blaming the cruise line is pretty lame. The rules are in place for safety reasons. If they thought it was safe for a 2 year old, they would be more than happy to charge your toddler for the excursion. But the Falls are definitely dangerous for a Toddler so I don't blame them. If they sell your child a ticket for an excursion that is not safe for 2 year olds they would be putting themselves at risk as well as your child. Why would you expect them to do that???

Edited by Lilyrosemum

Is that snarly remark really necessary? :mad:

Oompa Loompa, did you even read the other posts? Even the OP replied “Yep, you got it” to my post, so I’m not sure where you’re coming from. About 90% of the posters on this thread could not understand why the OP is disgusted with RCCL when they have clearly done nothing wrong, and are only looking out for the best interests of their passengers. Judging by most of the posts before and after mine, I think the general consensus is that 'disgusted' is a rather strong word for this situation.

The good news is that many posters have suggested to the OP that she look into local tours of the falls, which she seems fine with, so problem solved. The Allure is a wonderful ship, so hopefully all goes well, she has a great anniversary celebration, and her whole family enjoys the cruise.

You are "disgusted" with the wrong people. Royal Caribbean does not determine age limits, nor which excursions have "observer" tickets, their vendors do this. Royal has no control over this. Think about it: why would they turn down money if they could take it?

Absolutely correct! RCI has no control or responsibility with the age limitation. It lies with guidelines and restrictions placed by the insurance provider and the tour operator.

These tours are not owned by or controlled by RCI - they are third party contractors. The OP's frustration is misdirected with RCI over the concern limiting a 2 year old to participate.

I hope the OP returns to see these posts to better understand the facts behind the age restriction issue.

Maybe I'm misreading the OP's intent, but I didn't think they were wanting to actually take the two-year-old up the falls, which I agree would be absurd and dangerous; what they wanted was to book the whole family on the tour and then have some family members stay with the younger ones while the rest climbed the falls, but RCI wouldn't let them even bring the toddler on the tour at all.

I understand why RCI has this rule, safety, insurance and all that. Many of us are just trying to provide information about private tours that will allow them to bring the younger kids. That doesn't mean that they should be taking a two-year-old up the falls, or zip-lining or any of the other things being mentioned here, just that their group can go on a tour as a family, even though not everyone will participate in every part of the tour.

Having climbed the falls, I think there are *some* 5-6 year-olds who could do the climb, with help, if they are the active and brave type, but I wouldn't take kids that age myself. When we had five-year-olds there (and they both were the super-athletic types), we chose not to let them climb. The problem is that some parents will push the boundaries. The falls are difficult and people are injured there every day--our guide told us broken bones are fairly common, and we saw a couple of extreme bruises/scrapes on people on our ship.

As to the river tubing, we did take even our just-turned-three grandson and and kids 4 and 5. We had their own life jackets (the tour also provided jackets), the ride wasn't really fast or dangerous, the guides were wonderful and in the water with us, the kids rode with an adult, the tubes had bottoms and all of our kids are very water-friendly, as we live on a lake. They had a blast.

Common sense is the key!

OP - I was there in December and had a cousin who couldn't do the climb because of her back. We took a private tour and when we got to the entrance of the falls, there were two options, climb or watch/swim. The price for the non-climbers into the falls was lower (sorry, don't remember the exact cost). Just take a private tour and when you get there, buy the tickets your need for your family. It will all work out.

Common sense is the key!

You are absolutely right, but that is the reason we have so many rules and regulations in effect, too many people are lacking basic common sense.

You just know there is someone out there who would try to climb with a baby or toddler!

Sherri:)

Edited by sjb317

I am traveling on the Allure, Western Caribbean, August 10-17 for my 20 year wedding anniversary. I am going with my husband and children ages 19, 16, 6, and 2. My oldest children would love to experience Dunn's River Falls. I was told that we could not go as a group because of my two year old. I had a couple of options. I could stay on the boat with the younger ones and let the older ones go by themselves or let the two year old stay on the boat in the day care, while my husband and I go with the older children. I think this is just disheartening. :mad: My husband and I were going to walk up the sides with the young ones as we enjoyed the older ones take on the climb. I made an official complaint, and I am about ready to lose $1500 of my cruise payment to take my business elsewhere. Is there any excursion for Dunn's River Falls where my entire family could participate and watch?

Natalie

You are being a bit too much of a drama queen to throw away $1500 because of something so silly.

Yes there are private tour companies that will take you all. But remember the 2 yr old will not be allowed to climb.

Maybe I'm misreading the OP's intent, but I didn't think they were wanting to actually take the two-year-old up the falls, which I agree would be absurd and dangerous; what they wanted was to book the whole family on the tour and then have some family members stay with the younger ones while the rest climbed the falls, but RCI wouldn't let them even bring the toddler on the tour at all.

I read it the same way but even if you only want to have the child watch and not participate, booking through the tour operator still has the age restriction as there is no provision to book with the tour but only watch. The two year old would still be there by way of the tour and if something should happen - even while just observing - the tour operator would still likely be liable as the child was there through them and they received compensation for that child to be there.

The option to book independently and take the child along to watch from the platform area would be a possible solution that would not involve the tour operator or interact with RCI. But then the liability for anything happening would be exclusively with the family, which would then be their choice.

My only point is in trying to show that in any case it is not RCI placing any restrictions on the young child's participation in any manner, but the guidelines set by the insurance provided and the tour oerator.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

As so many have said, you are focusing on the wrong things. Dunns River Falls, as neat as it may be, isn't the "beat all end all" of cruising on Allure. I suppose you may have only booked this cruise for this single reason, but I doubt it. Don't go into this cruise angry about something that really is so minor. There are lot's of restrictions on many activities. Weight, size, age, etc. Have you ever been to Disney World? Same there. Someone would have to babysit your 2 year old while you go on many rides. Double time in lines, etc. I know, I've "been there, done that." Yet I still love Disney, and even take the Grandkids now, knowing that there are many of my favorite rides I won't be able to do. Same with Allure. Your 2 year old won't be able to do the zip line, flow rider, ice skate, etc. Why not just leave your 2 year old on the ship as was suggested? They are experts on taking care of kids. Your child will likely enjoy the day more, and certainly you will. Then you can do the tour. I really wouldn't want to have to herd a 2 year old at Dunn's River Falls in the crowd. Wouldn't be fun.

Good luck with your decision. You should go on the cruise and have fun. Don't let this end it all for you. But keep in mind, there are other restrictions you will also face. That's just the rules of the Cruise Line. It's their ship. They have to do what they think best.

Good luck.

Check out Peat Taylor. I used him from Falmouth and went to Dunn's River Falls, had a good experience.

Another vote for Peat. Not only is he easier to work than the cruise line excursions, he will get you there before the cruise line busses arrive. You'll have finished the activity by the time the thousands of people from the cruise excursions start pouring in. You'll enjoy it much because it won't be crowded. We were in a group of perhaps 12-15 people, and we were allowed to go at our own pace, stop and pay in the pools, etc. our table mates, who went with the ship's excursions, complained about waiting more than an hour, then being hurried along in a crowded pack.

I can understand why they won't take a toddler -- even as an observer. Some people would be quick to whine, "Why did you provide her with transportation if you won't let her take part in the activity? "

Suggestions:

- The rocks are slippery. Everyone should have good water shoes.

- Bring a waterproof camera.

- No jewelry. In our group, a newlywed lost her new ring and cried her eyes out when the group of us simply could not find it and we were forced to leave it. The water is cold, and her finger shrunk.

Edited by MrsPete

Just don't be surprised if the independent tour operators don't allow a 2 year old to participate either! Some may and some may not allow.

The private tour operators don't operate Dunn's River Falls. It's a state or national park. The tour operators will provide transportation.

You're right that a two year old will not be allowed to climb, but I don't think the parents expected that. It is physically much beyond a toddler's ability.