Med Evac Insurance

amster65

I have renewed a policy time after time with MedJetAssist. They seem to get excellent ratings and I've read a number of 'happy' customers who received the assistance they needed.

I think it more important to insure for medical evacuation than cost of most cruises. Should you require medical evacuation to get home, it can be very pricey. Usually more than the cost of the cruise.

If you are AARP, there is a discount.

Many of here on CC have these policies The advantage of this company over some others as they are more likely to take you to the hospital of your choice if medically safe/practical than some other insurers.

On any cruise or any travel. I don't go over the border shopping to buffalo without health insurance. As a health care professional I have seen many cases where people have been left with enormous health care bills because of no insurance. Insurance is part of my vacation costs

Terry

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

On any cruise or any travel. I don't go over the border shopping to buffalo without health insurance. As a health care professional I have seen many cases where people have been left with enormous health care bills because of no insurance. Insurance is part of my vacation costs

Terry

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Good advice.

We purchase complete medical with $1 million coverage and no deductible and don't even have to think about anything on the cruise except the next meal.

Good advice.

We purchase complete medical with $1 million coverage and no deductible and don't even have to think about anything on the cruise except the next meal.

Would you give more info about completed medical, please.

I am in the process of researching travel medical coverage as I think I'll make a change from what I used in the past. I have an annual policy that is coming up for renewal and I have to decide what to do.

Thanks.

Edited by sail7seas

I have renewed a policy time after time with MedJetAssist. They seem to get excellent ratings and I've read a number of 'happy' customers who received the assistance they needed.

I think it more important to insure for medical evacuation than cost of most cruises. Should you require medical evacuation to get home, it can be very pricey. Usually more than the cost of the cruise.

If you are AARP, there is a discount.

Many of here on CC have these policies The advantage of this company over some others as they are more likely to take you to the hospital of your choice if medically safe/practical than some other insurers.

I no longer leave U.S. soil without it. But MedJet is evac only, so you also need a medical policy that will cover you aboard ship and/or on foreign soil before the evac takes place. Just a reminder to those of you who have it, MediCare will NOT cover you while onboard a ship or outside of the U.S.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Would you give more info about completed medical, please.

I am in the process of researching travel medical coverage as I think I'll make a change from what I used in the past. I have an annual policy that is coming up for renewal and I have to decide what to do.

Thanks.

Hi, Sail

We are Canadians so anything I say may not work for you.

We use a big Canadian insurance company, the kind that sells life, home insurance.

Their travel insurance can cover anything you want: trip interruption, cancellation, etc; medical, dental, medevac, all hospital, travel home with nurse, etc.

In Canada provincial medical does not cover much out of province, let alone out of country, so this kind of travel insurance is very common and there a lots of options.

In the US I would have assumed that all big life/home insurance companies would offer complete travel insurance.

Thanks, Silver.

Most of us in U.S. buy our travel insurance from specific travel insurers. (there are exceptions.)

Some buy through their TA.

It is only recently we bought it at all as our regular medical coverage used to pay all over the world. When we went onto insurance that does not pay outside U.S., we started buying travel medical. I am not looking to insure for trip cancellation or interruption. We have self-insured for that.

Edited by sail7seas

I too am researching insurance for an upcoming trip. Our TA has a company that allows pre-existing coverage when you make final payment rather than required at deposit timeframe. Does anyone know of any other companies that allow this? The company she uses is Alianz.

We have another cruise next year with a different company that we had to already pay in full - we did not purchase insurance at that time - bad decision on our part - due to pre-existing with elderly parents who are not traveling with us,but we found out that if something medical occurs with them we most likely will not be covered. Fingers crossed on that trip - and valuable lesson for any future trips.

I too am researching insurance for an upcoming trip. Our TA has a company that allows pre-existing coverage when you make final payment rather than required at deposit timeframe. Does anyone know of any other companies that allow this? The company she uses is Alianz...

There is a company called InsureMyTrip (they are online) that is a broker for many travel insurance carriers. You can select ones that interest you, and do a side-by-side comparison of what each covers on your screen.

I too am researching insurance for an upcoming trip. Our TA has a company that allows pre-existing coverage when you make final payment rather than required at deposit timeframe. Does anyone know of any other companies that allow this? The company she uses is Alianz.

We have another cruise next year with a different company that we had to already pay in full - we did not purchase insurance at that time - bad decision on our part - due to pre-existing with elderly parents who are not traveling with us,but we found out that if something medical occurs with them we most likely will not be covered. Fingers crossed on that trip - and valuable lesson for any future trips.

Just a heads up. When I researched Alianz the medical $$$ amount they would pay was not very much, IMO.

Edited by Linda&Vern

I believe CSA Travel Insurance also has a policy that allows coverage for pre-existing if paid at time of final payment (rather than requiring coverage and payment to begin at deposit time). I think it's called something like "Custom Luxe Comprehensive", or at least that's what it was called the last time I looked into it.

Since most of your cruise will be spent in Canada, you will of course want to have medical coverage that applies when you are in that country. Most of us don't have that coverage unless we get travel insurance.

But medical evacuation coverage is something you may or may not want on this trip. It depends on how badly you think you will want to be brought home for treatment, should you need it.

Would you be happy to stay in Canada? Are there people back home who would rather you be there? How much will medevac coverage cost?

Those, and I'm sure other, questions will help you decide if you need medevac coverage, too.

Meaning medical only as secondary/additional coverage. $50k/per is not enough! But thanks for that heads up.

I've reading some insurance and you may wish to check Travelex Max. It is possible you can get more than $50k coverage. That is for medical coverage and evacuation. It does not cover cancellation.

Please confirm as I could be wrong.

Edited by sail7seas

Sail7seas, thank you. I did check the out just now. They do offer higher coverage for a price. Unfortunately the pre-existing is not going to happen to cover in case my parents have medical and I need to cancel/reschedule. So I am going to go with Alianz this time and remember this valuable lesson. I always thought pre-existing was just for travelers, not family that is not traveling and could impact your trip.