Royal Caribbean Insurance - Fantastic

We always get the cruise care when we cruise. Find it is reasonable and easy to just do it that way. Land vacations we use another travel insurance company.

Sorry, I forgot we were on Celebrity for this cruise. They use the same cruise insurance company, so my story is still the same it was just on Celebrity Summit vs a Royal ship. Here is my story

We always get the cruise care when we cruise. Find it is reasonable and easy to just do it that way. Land vacations we use another travel insurance company.

Anyway - I did not realize that buying the insurance meant that it also covers any pre-cruise issues. I thought it only covered if something happened on the ship. I had an accident in San Juan the night before the cruise which required a trip to the ER Sat morning and stitches before we boarded the ship. While on the ship I had to go the med center to get the stitches removed. When we got home, I called and got the information to submit a claim. I did that a couple of weeks ago once I had everything I needed from the hospital and my health insurance (my insurance paid $0.00).

Today I emailed for a status and within an hour had a email telling me they were paying me 100% of the costs I incurred!!!!! I was shocked. Their insurance totally took care of me and we will continue to buy the cruise care when we cruise. Hope I never need it again, but they sure came through this time.

Edited by karena1

We always purchase their insurance and had to use it prior to a cruise 10 years ago. Our mother, who was cruising with us, was hospitalized a few weeks prior to the cruise and we had to cancel. I submitted the required information and we were reimbursed the entire cost of the cruise, minus the cost of the insurance, in a very short time. We were very pleased with the plan and their service.

I am so sorry you had an accident prior to the cruise, but so happy it worked for you. I have only good things to say about Cruise Care also... Mom came down with the flu on one cruise and they covered everything with no question! We purchase it specifically for the med evac coverage... but it is good to know that it covers so much more.

I have no idea why so many people bash CruiseCare around here.

Thanks for sharing yet another positive story regarding "cruise line insurance". I have yet to read a bad experience with Berkely.

Thinking about buying this insurance for an upcoming cruise. Does it cover medical bills you incur on the ship itself? My friend recently became ill on the Allure and spent $1500 in medical bills. He didn't have cruise insurance, so he had to charge it.. He had chest pains-thought he was having a heart attack-luckily he's fine. Said he had wonderful care in the ship's hospital.

Thinking about buying this insurance for an upcoming cruise. Does it cover medical bills you incur on the ship itself? My friend recently became ill on the Allure and spent $1500 in medical bills. He didn't have cruise insurance, so he had to charge it.. He had chest pains-thought he was having a heart attack-luckily he's fine. Said he had wonderful care in the ship's hospital.

I would say yes - My balcony door accidentally slid and hit my hand (ship was rolling a bit). It really gave it a good whack. I thought I might have a broken wrist/thumb area. Care on board was excellent. X-ray they thought was negative, but due to extensive bruising advised getting it re-xrayed at home (this happened two days before departure). Wrist and hand were wrapped in an Ace bandage and I was given extensive instructions re icing, etc.

At home further x-ray indicated no break, but a ligament/tissue injury. I went to therapy for 8 weeks before being discharged - therapy is not cheap!

Insurance covered everything that my primary carrier did not cover - had no problem at all - just sent copies of bills and completed some forms. They did require that I file with my primary carrier first.

We always buy RC's insurance. Several years ago, we had a medical emergency while onboard and had to be taken off the ship. The insurance covered virtually everything. The hospital, ambulance, Dr's, and flight back to the US. We also got a check for the 3 days we missed! We'll never go without insurance! I can't say enough great things about it! :D

I am so sorry you had an accident prior to the cruise, but so happy it worked for you. I have only good things to say about Cruise Care also... Mom came down with the flu on one cruise and they covered everything with no question! We purchase it specifically for the med evac coverage... but it is good to know that it covers so much more.

Yeah, I looked pretty awful getting on the ship Sat as the injury was from a fall when I was out for a power walk. Tripped and fell, and I cut my chin open, and had a black eye and swelled up lip. Was pretty ugly looking, but I did not let it ruin my vacation!

Just a thank you to all who have posted -- have never used this insurance. When we first started cruising we never got insurance at all; now, 14 years later I'm thinking it's probably a good idea! I would certainly consider this.

I have no idea why so many people bash CruiseCare around here.

I don't think it's bashing. A lot of people report that it's often more expensive than outside plans, that it has a low emergency flight reimbursement (25K?) and that it doesn't have a pre-existing conditions waiver option.

I bought it for our next cruise because it wasn't much more expensive than other plans and I didn't need a pre-existing waiver.

I am glad to hear all the positive stories about RC's insurance! We bought private insurance the first time, but on our second cruise we went with RC. It's nice to know that they do come through and now we will use them whenever we cruise.

Yes it does. Your medical bill from the ship goes on your sea pass.

Once you get home, submit that bill to your insurance and wait for your EOB (explanation of benefits). Then turn that into Berkeley Care/Cruise Care for reimbursement of any outstanding expense that your insurance may not cover.

They will walk you through every step of the way, its very easy.

We've always bought the cruise line insurance.

Never had to use it until a year and a half ago. Mom got shingles a few days before the cruise.

I contacted the insurance company, sent in the cruise info, they called me and asked about airfare. I told them I'd booked it on my own. They told me to fax in the ticket info because it was covered, too. I had never known that - never even thought about it (for the last several years, we've driven to the majority of the departure ports) since I didn't book the air through RCCL. And, I honestly never would have looked or thought about it if they hadn't called and asked me about flight plans!

Love that they did that. I'll stick with CruiseCare forever because of that.

btw - we had our claim checks within days. It was amazing.

I work in healthcare and I would say 50-60% of your regular healthcare insurance doesn't cover you once you are out of the US. It stops at the border. Every insurance is different so you have to read your personal plan. We have excellent health insurance through my husband's employer, however it does not cover us outside the US except for Canada.

We always buy trip insurance and I'm glad to hear from the OP how well it worked for them. It always gives me piece of mind when we travel to know we are all covered. I'm glad your situation worked out.

I'm always floored every time I read a post from a cruise passenger that is lambasting the cruise line for not making an exception for their accident/unexpected illness or death in family. Yes, I always feel badly that someone experienced an unexpected accident, but isn't that why you buy insurance....for the unexpected accidents and illnesses?

I don't get it. If they make an exception for the couple that experienced a tragic accident, how could they not make that same offer to everyone that had something unusual happen where they couldn't make the cruise.

Buy insurance if you expect to be compensated if the absolute worst happens. Not because you can talk cruise line into making an exception for you.

I don't think it's bashing. A lot of people report that it's often more expensive than outside plans, that it has a low emergency flight reimbursement (25K?) and that it doesn't have a pre-existing conditions waiver option.

I bought it for our next cruise because it wasn't much more expensive than other plans and I didn't need a pre-existing waiver.

Exactly; this is why we don't buy the cruise line insurance; we have to have a pre-existing conditions waver (elderly parents--we've used this several times), and I'm not happy with the low emergency evacuation amount.

I've never priced it because of the pre-existing conditions waver, so can't comment as to cost.

Except that San Juan is part of the US, Esmeralda. :)

Correct Coralc and I should have added that. I was just stating that in general, once you are out of what is considered the US, you aren't covered by regular health insurance. Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth of the US.

Thanks for the reminder. :D