Ft Lauderdale Embassy Suites or Riverside Hotel?

barb in ga

Our cruise leaves on Sunday, 9/21; our flight will land at noon Saturday.

The Embassy Suites is $132 or $167 with airport and cruise shuttle included. It also includes pm manager's gathering plus full breakfast.

The Riverside Hotel is $135, no shuttle or meals.

I am probably not interested in using a shuttle either from the airport or to the ship; my experience has been that a cab is usually faster and not expensive.

My main thoughts are being someplace interesting to walk around and have dinner, I'm not looking for a bar type restaurant, just something a little different than the usual chains.

Any recommendations between the two?

Thanks,

Barb

Here is where the Riverside is located..Las Olas Boulevard

http://www.lasolasboulevard.com/

Riverside reminds me of an old hotel...which it is...with old florida feel and ambiance. The newer rooms overlook the river and intracoastal waters. Pool sits right by the New River so you can enjoy the boats going by. Great choice of local restaurants around the hotel, small shops, art galeries...Hotel restaurant is good too. A couple block walk to a water taxi stop if you want.

Embassy is pretty much like other Embassy Suites. And you'd get the breakfast included there which is nice.

It's located on the very busy 17th St. Restaurants and stores for last min. pick ups are in close walking distance.. Popular with cruisers. Nothing really that screams Fort Lauderdale.

We personally don't choose chain type hotels if we don't have to when we vacation. So we have not stayed at this ES but have at the Riverside on two different vacations. From what you say you'd like...I'd go with Riverside.

No matter which you pick, use cabs and go on your own schedule.

Edited by eandj

Hi - I'm looking for a hotel for October. Would I be able to walk somewhere that I could buy a few bottles of wine to take on our cruise?

Depends where you are staying. There are several places to get wine.

Not being able to do a comparison, but I did not think the Embassy Suites were that............bad.

The rooms are suites, a sitting area, and a bedroom, than the bathroom in between.

Free evening cocktails

Free massive breakfast, everything and anything.

Walking distance to restuarants and Publix and wine store.

Ok. I guess a little hike to the water taxi, if you want.

Shuttle is for a fee, but taxi is under $20.

Sea Ya

I have stayed at The Riverside 2 or 3 times over the years.... LOVE IT:D

Definitely not a chain and the amount of wonderful restaurants along

Las Olas Blvd.......just stroll and check out all the menus;):):D

As for ES, I do know folks who always stay there and it is a nice chain

but for something different, I definitely recommend The Riverside:)

Thanks for everyone's opinions, it is a big help. All the booking sites show $129, but their own website shows $119 for a standard room in the old section, and $159 for an executive king in the tower. 500 sq ft vs 300. I'm thinking we may splurge a bit and go for the fancy bathrooms, better view, and larger room.

Thanks,

Barb

Both times we stayed we were in the older section. Altho we visited our frineds in the newer rooms so we saw those. Our rooms were smaller and had historic heavy style furniture. My husband actually liked the old style room better than our friend's updated one. Said it was a change of pace from generic places. No views.

Oh..on one two night stay, we were given a room with mirrors on the ceiling above the bed! No kidding. Dh hasn't forgotten that one! :D

Edited by eandj

The last time we stayed there we walked over to the CVS store on the hwy. for a couple bottles along with a couple incidentals I forgot. Maybe a 10 min. at most walk. But...I wasn't looking for anything other than mainstream varieties. Never looked beyond there near the hotel.

When we stay on the beach we take a bus or trolley to Total Wine. A gazillion bottles to choose from.

Someone will point out other choices I'm sure. ;)

Not being able to do a comparison, but I did not think the Embassy Suites were that............bad.

The rooms are suites, a sitting area, and a bedroom, than the bathroom in between.

Free evening cocktails

Free massive breakfast, everything and anything.

Walking distance to restaurants and Publix and wine store.

Ok. I guess a little hike to the water taxi, if you want.

Shuttle is for a fee, but taxi is under $20.

Sea Ya

What restaurants are near the Embassy Suites now, and how long a trek is it to the water taxi? We have stayed there before, but I cannot remember the details. Isn't the pool indoors?

We have stayed at the Riverside Hotel twice now, but not sure that I can stay there again after that tragic accident 2 years ago. At least, I would not feel comfortable out by the pool. :eek:

Another choice that we are considering is the Double Tree Galleria. We have also stayed in the DTG before.

All 3 choices are running about the same per night for early February. Nothing like the prices I am seeing in this thread, though.

Embassy Suites Club Floor is $269.

The Riverside is $289 for a city-view King Tower room.

The Double Tree Galleria would be $284 for their King water view Suite. It's the largest of the 3 hotel rooms.

Edited by Iamthesea

All 3 choices are running about the same per night for early February. Nothing like the prices I am seeing in this thread, though.

Embassy Suites Club Floor is $269.

The Riverside is $289 for a city-view King Tower room.

The Double Tree Galleria would be $284 for their King water view Suite. It's the largest of the 3 hotel rooms.

This thread covered pricing in Sept. You are seeing typical Feb. rates. High season.

QUOTE:

"What restaurants are near the Embassy Suites now"

Lots of restaurants.......

Outback

Waxy's

Chuck's

Carlos and Pepe's

Bimini Boatyard

Bravo

Duffy's

Coco's Asian Bistro

Thank you for the restaurant list. ;)

This thread covered pricing in Sept. You are seeing typical Feb. rates. High season.

Yes, that's why I mentioned that we were booking in February. ;) Very expensive time to be in Florida.

tncap - Prices are lower for early December, but go back up near the holiday season.

We are still undecided, but leaning toward the Galleria.

Edited by Iamthesea

We stayed at the Embassy last year in Feb. and were very disappointed in the Manager's cocktail hour compared to other Embassy Suites we have been at in New Orleans, Memphis and other cities. The food was chips and salsa and the drinks were restricted to one brand of beer and one wine. Also, unless you are in a room away from the atrium, it is very noisy. We had been warned on Trip Advisor and our room was quiet.Also, the restaurants nearby were order at the counter type. There was a nearby wine store. The trolley that runs by was not in service because of the time of year. All in all, a disappointment.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. If we stayed at the Riverside, is there somewhere within walking distance to buy wine?

There is a wine shop, Las Olas Wine right down the street on the same side of the street. You can also walk down Federal Highway/US1 to the CVS.

We have stayed at the Riverside Hotel twice now, but not sure that I can stay there again after that tragic accident 2 years ago. At least, I would not feel comfortable out by the pool. :eek:

\

Why would you care about that? It was a freak accident that happened two years ago in the cabana.

Seems rather harsh to penalize a hotel for something it had nothing to do with.

Maybe you should avoid Las Olas all together?

Edited by BlueHerons

We stayed at the Embassy last year in Feb. and were very disappointed in the Manager's cocktail hour compared to other Embassy Suites we have been at in New Orleans, Memphis and other cities. The food was chips and salsa and the drinks were restricted to one brand of beer and one wine. Also, unless you are in a room away from the atrium, it is very noisy. We had been warned on Trip Advisor and our room was quiet.Also, the restaurants nearby were order at the counter type. There was a nearby wine store. The trolley that runs by was not in service because of the time of year. All in all, a disappointment.

WOW, when we stayed there last July of 2013, it was open bar with unlimited drinks.

Two bartenders.

Munchies we as you listed with popcorn, salsa, chips.

Sea Ya

Good to know! ;)

There is a wine shop, Las Olas Wine right down the street on the same side of the street. You can also walk down Federal Highway/US1 to the CVS.

Why would you care about that? It was a freak accident that happened two years ago in the cabana.

Seems rather harsh to penalize a hotel for something it had nothing to do with.

Maybe you should avoid Las Olas all together?

I am not penalizing the hotel. Loved the hotel.:) In fact, I think that I was one of the first to post about The Riverside on Cruise Critic, many years ago. My comment was made about my personal feelings for staying there. Brings back memories.:(

We have decided to go with the Double Tree Galleria again. ;)