On Deck for the Cure

CruisingCoral

We just finished two segments on the Ocean Princess. On Deck for the Cure was held on the first segment but not the second. It might have been a weather issue causing the second one to be skipped. So yes, they still do it but not necessarily every cruise.

We just finished two segments on the Ocean Princess. On Deck for the Cure was held on the first segment but not the second. It might have been a weather issue causing the second one to be skipped. So yes, they still do it but not necessarily every cruise.

Sounds like a fabulous cruise! Thanks for letting me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Coral May 31-June 7 and they did the On Deck for the Cure. I believe it was on Thurs. or Fri. AM and there was a $20 fee and you received a hat.

Thank you so much! We leave July 5 on the Southbound Voyage so I'm guessing it will be that Friday while we cruise the Inside Passage. Thanks again for the info!

A cause that needs a lot of support, glad that people can get behind it.:D

I totally agree! I did it in 2010 while cruising Alaska on the Oosterdam and wasn't sure if Princess is still doing it. But my mother was diagnosed this past January with breast cancer and now is 2.5 months cancer free so she definitely wants to do it and is really looking forward to it. I love how the cruise lines are helping out with awareness!

I totally agree! I did it in 2010 while cruising Alaska on the Oosterdam and wasn't sure if Princess is still doing it. But my mother was diagnosed this past January with breast cancer and now is 2.5 months cancer free so she definitely wants to do it and is really looking forward to it. I love how the cruise lines are helping out with awareness!

Good to hear your mum is in remission. I agree, the cruise lines can really help with many of these type events, as people like to do them.:D

My wife and I participated in the Walk on both Sea and Diamond Princess . On the Sea Princess , about 20 of us walked , on Diamond about 12 people. I was surprised by the lack of passenger participation . I understand not everyone can actually do the Walk. I would have thought this event would have been attended by a lot more passengers. Everyone these days seems to know or know about some one affected by cancer and would have been motivated to participate in the Walk at least as a mark of support. Each Walk we have completed has had passengers either recovering or in remission from various cancers. I hope more passengers get involved in this great event in the future. Cheers, Buzz.

Ocean Princess is that the same size as Pacific? Where did they walk? We are hoping they have this on our July trip. I have always walked but, although Mike has always donated he didn't get out of bed until I was in treatment when we did a TA Venice to Fla. now he walks each time. I have to say the crew is always great but on the Ruby in 2011 were the best. Even the Captain made time to come and start us off. Some times we have had as few as 8 and as many as 40. I think it's a great cause and brings awareness to this often serious illness.

Nice to hear your Mom is in remission. Wonderful to see so many folk's taking time for this as somebody else said we all are affected one way or another from Cancer. Family, friend, co-worker not many people can say they are untouched.

Edited by latebloomer56
spelling

I believe they had this on both of my Princess cruises. I have forgotten, but does it benefit Komen?

Yes.

Which may be why participation has declined. There are serious questions that need to be asked about their administrative costs. I'm not convinced they're a good steward (sorry, of course I meant "Stewart"!) of my donation dollars.

Yes.

Which may be why participation has declined. There are serious questions that need to be asked about their administrative costs. I'm not convinced they're a good steward (sorry, of course I meant "Stewart"!) of my donation dollars.

Some cruiselines are switching over to "On Deck for the Cause" which is not affiliated with Komen. It funds the ACA and five other cancer research organizations. I am not sure about Princess. I will know more in a month. For all of the obvious reasons, this is very near and dear to my heart.

I know this is for HAL, but it is an interesting read:

SEATTLE, Feb. 4, 2013 /CNW/ - In honor of World Cancer Day, today Holland America Line announces "On Deck for a Cause," a new shipboard giving program that will benefit six international cancer organizations located in the United States, Canada, Australia, Netherlands, Germany and United Kingdom.

On Deck for a Cause invites guests to participate in a noncompetitive 5k fundraising walk on every sailing aboard each of the line's 15 ships, with proceeds to be distributed among the American Cancer Society, Canadian Cancer Society, Cancer Council Australia, Cancer Research UK, Deutsche Krebshilfe (German Cancer Aid) and KWF Kankerbestrijding (Dutch Cancer Society). The program will be implemented on ships in the coming month.

"With this new program Holland America Line will increase our support of the global fight against cancer," said Stein Kruse, president and chief executive officer for Holland America Line. "Giving back is part of the Holland America Line culture, and it's gratifying to be able to support these incredible organizations in six countries where the majority of our guests live. This new program will help raise significant funds for cancer research, education, screening and treatment programs."

Guests of all ages are invited to donate $20 to the Holland America Line Foundation, with a minimum of 80 percent ($16) to be distributed to the organizations. The remaining 20 percent will cover program and administrative expenses. On a day at sea, participants join in a 5k walk around the ship's decks. Guests may walk less or not at all, as they prefer. Participants will also receive an On Deck for a Cause T-shirt, wristband and a reception following the walk. Depending on the ship, the distance to reach 5k ranges from nine to 12 laps.

Nearly 500 On Deck for a Cause events will occur across the Holland America Line fleet in the coming year, with walks taking place on cruises globally including the Mediterranean, Caribbean, South Pacific, Alaska's Inside Passage, Mexico, Asia, the Baltic, Australia, New Zealand and South America.

Tracie, thanks for posting that. I like that; great idea by HAL. Hope Princess follows suit.

Then perhaps they can work on having the walk in the afternoon, instead of at the crack of dawn on a sea day . . . ! (Or maybe that's just my thing.)

Tracie, thanks for posting that. I like that; great idea by HAL. Hope Princess follows suit.

Then perhaps they can work on having the walk in the afternoon, instead of at the crack of dawn on a sea day . . . ! (Or maybe that's just my thing.)

Actually, it has been at 10 am the past few times that I have done it... Not sure if that qualifies as the crack of dawn. But thanks for the good giggle, Annie.:)

Agreed. Hope all crusie lines follow suit.:D

Yes.

Agreed. That's why I asked and now I remember. I did not participate for that very reason. Additionally, Komen has only, very recently, stopped ignoring women with metastatic breast cancer. You know, those of us who will probably never be cured and are not all cute and pink and then die.

I also have heard about how the money is used for other items from Komen. However I still walk because I think of as keeping the issue in the open. When my first 2 Aunts died from Breast Cancer it was whispered about. Now it's an open topic when somebody (or yourself) has the misfortune to have to deal with it. I hope to someday be able to think "oh how far we have come". I will continue to walk each time. However if you are listening Princess the "Walk for a Cause" sounds really good to some folk's.

We always walk it. I walk for my friends. My husband walks for me. We love the experience and the fact that it raises both money and awareness for cancer research.:)

Tracie,

My daughter has expressed an interest in doing this walk. She recently did the Relay for Life with a bunch of school friends. Hope to see you there!

Guests of all ages are invited to donate $20 to the Holland America Line Foundation, with a minimum of 80 percent ($16) to be distributed to the organizations. The remaining 20 percent will cover program and administrative expenses.a.

This is what gets me ticked about events such as these. The cruise company contributes nothing to the charities that receive the support except deck space. If HAL were truly interested in supporting the charity, they would cover the expenses for the walk so that the charity received 100% of the proceeds instead of 80%.

If you want to support breast cancer research or any other charity, support it directly instead of through HAL.

BTW - you can also walk on deck any time you want which is what I do.

DON

Tracie,

My daughter has expressed an interest in doing this walk. She recently did the Relay for Life with a bunch of school friends. Hope to see you there!

I will be happy to buddy up with her! :)