Sun returns to south america

karen327

I just learned that the Sun is going to return to south america in Nov. 2015. Has anyone out there heard any further details about this? Anyone take the Sun on this intenary back when they use to do it, before 2010? Any info that could benefit us? We were going to cruise this route on Celebrity Infinity but the sun is a lot less money and we could take advantage of our perks by being at the top latitudes tier. Would there be that much difference outside of the different dining arrangements? Plan to go over the Christmas holidays. I assume there will be a lot of children aboard. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Probably my most memorable cruise! The hardest part is packing for warm weather and very cold weather. Cruising through the fjords seeing glaciers, standing on the balcony with snow coming down (we live in Florida so this was a big deal for us). Seeing penguins and sea elephants on excursions and going around the horn was just amazing! We were lucky the sea was fairly calm for our journey around. After we went around the horn there was a big pary on deck and we danced and stood in line for the Captain to baptize us as real sailers now that we had gone around the horn! We all got certificates too. At night they had a star gazing program and we were shown the southern cross and other constellations we were not familiar with. Wonderful! Amazing scenery, holiday activities and meals. Maybe I can talk my husband into doing it again!

Did NCL ever to a full South American cruise (Miami to Los Angeles) Thats the cruise I would like. HAL has one and I am really keen on it as long as they do it again in late 2016 but I would prefer NCL

Did NCL ever to a full South American cruise (Miami to Los Angeles) Thats the cruise I would like. HAL has one and I am really keen on it as long as they do it again in late 2016 but I would prefer NCL

Hasn't yet. That would be a long cruise. The Sun is an older ship and doesn't go as fast. We did a repo on the Sun from San Francisco to Santiago, and it took 19 days. Great cruise though.

Scroll down lots of discussion when this was announced back in the spring. Agree with the others that it is a not to be missed cruise....we were on Sun's last trip in 2010. Unfortunately we could only swing enough vacation to go from Buenos Aries to Valparisio but some (most?) of our fellow cruisers stayed onboard and continued up the west coast thru the canal and to Miami. There was at least one couple who remained on board all the way to Dover! Interestingly, the original itinary had been to San Francisco then on to Alaska but 10 or 12 months before we sailed, they changed plans. Upset some on our rollcall, pleased others. All who were on the initial sailing hot some sort of compensation. Our neighbors in the stern dancing mini had originally been in a side facing balcony. Of corse this was before NCL changed the categories so at that time, that cabin was the lowest mini, whereas now I think it is the highest. In any case, a wonderful wonderful trip.

We did Around the Horn from Buenos Aires to Valpo on Celebrity Infinity (NCL had abandoned the route).

It is one of our favorite cruises. I suggest taking the cruise from Buenos Aires to Valpo.

Also, compare the itinerary of the Sun with Infinity. Infinity arrives in Ushuaia in the early morning, so you have a full day there. I think the Sun will arrive mid-day.

Ushuaia is the place to make the most of on the cruise. Make the most of it.

Here is my review of the cruise.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=248878

No. But you could attach the repo to either end to nearly do that. Cruise from Miami to Chile or Argentina to Los Angeles.

Do you mean the Panama Canal Cruise? It goes L.A. to Miami. The ship calls in Colombia, before returning to Miami. This cruise takes 14 days.

I did it on the Pearl in 2009, and had a great time.

Thanks Barb, I am booked on the 16 night Miami to Los Angeles via the Panama in April next year on the Pearl. Really looking forward to this cruise. I am also keen to to a full East Coast of South America inc Amazon, around Cape Horn and back up the West Coast to Los Angeles. HAL has one for 63 days. I would prefer NCL and it needs to be late 2016 as my son gets married in May 2016 in Fiji so that hampers my cruising schedule. Ha ha

to the OP - I would suggest checking the reviews sections - there should be some SUN to SA reviews there.

As to your timing over the holidays, I would check ncl.com for rates. As a lattitudes member, you probably know most of this stuff.

I just learned that the Sun is going to return to south america in Nov. 2015. Has anyone out there heard any further details about this? Anyone take the Sun on this intenary back when they use to do it, before 2010? Any info that could benefit us? We were going to cruise this route on Celebrity Infinity but the sun is a lot less money and we could take advantage of our perks by being at the top latitudes tier. Would there be that much difference outside of the different dining arrangements? Plan to go over the Christmas holidays. I assume there will be a lot of children aboard. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Boy, do I see where you are coming from. We had booked the Infinity before we knew NCL was going back to SA. I think we could have booked our land tour plus the NCL cruise for much less than we are paying. We are platinum as well and peons on Celebrity.