Bermuda in August??

bjarrett7

I am thinking about booking a last minute cruise to Bermuda August 17th. Can anyone share about how hurricanes could impact a trip? Alternate routes? Etc. Also, what is preferable during hurricane season: Caribbean vs Bermuda?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bermuda is preferable. If it makes you feel any better, I did the same cruise in August of 2012 and there were no problems at all. The Caribbean is nice year round but Bermuda has a limited season. The island is lovely and you'll really like it. Go. Nothing is guaranteed but the worst case scenario is you'll be stuck in Bermuda because you can't get back and that would be awesome!

I don't think there is any way to predict. It seems to me it is much less likely in BDA; however we were there during a hurricane (land based vacation).

We don't worry about hurricane season; if we want to cruise, we just go and leave the worrying up to the cruise line.

Ken

Well, we're rolling the same dice: we're doing Summit to Bermuda over Labor Day weekend (arguably, the peak of hurricane season :eek:). But realistically, most of Bermuda's cruise season falls into prime hurricane territory. I guess you could play it safe and go early (May-June) -- but the water would still be pretty cold for swimming, then. :(

The scariest experience we ever had on a cruise vacation was changing planes in DFW on the way to Miami, one February. We hit wind shears, and our flight was temporarily diverted, causing us to miss our connecting flight). We ended up getting the last flight out (without our luggage), before the wind shears completely shut down DFW for two days. And, trust me -- those were some "white-knuckle" flights! :eek:

What we learned from that experience was:

1) When you travel, there are no guarantees as to the weather; and

2) Always have travel insurance (see number 1, above ;)).

Realistically the only serious problem with a hurricane will be if it hits New Jersey on the day you are leaving or hits Bermuda several days before causing serious damage. While at sea or in Bermuda the ship will monitor any hurricanes and adjust the itinerary to provide as safe a voyage as possible.

Alternate routes might be coming in behind a storm and could also mean diverting to New England and Canada. This has been done in the past

There is a reason that Celebrity moves most of its ships to other places rather than the Caribbean and Atlantic. We live in FL and have been through several hurricanes. Wouldn't want to worry about traveling and watching the weather channel every day.

I sailed to Bermuda in August last year and it was quite smooth.

There is no way to predict now for August. Unless you wait till the

very last minute and book the week before you go...it is the waiting

game. And the majority of the time Bermuda is not in the main line....

(From someone who lives in Florida)

Well, we're rolling the same dice: we're doing Summit to Bermuda over Labor Day weekend (arguably, the peak of hurricane season :eek:). But realistically, most of Bermuda's cruise season falls into prime hurricane territory. I guess you could play it safe and go early (May-June) -- but the water would still be pretty cold for swimming, then. :(

The scariest experience we ever had on a cruise vacation was changing planes in DFW on the way to Miami, one February. We hit wind shears, and our flight was temporarily diverted, causing us to miss our connecting flight). We ended up getting the last flight out (without our luggage), before the wind shears completely shut down DFW for two days. And, trust me -- those were some "white-knuckle" flights! :eek:

What we learned from that experience was:

1) When you travel, there are no guarantees as to the weather; and

2) Always have travel insurance (see number 1, above ;)).

We have had problems going home to Seattle through Texas. You can have problems anywhere. We just avoid Texas when traveling across the USA.

We've done the Bermuda cruise twice in August and we found the island to be hot and humid, and during the first cruise it rained all three days, and I mean really hard rain for an hour here and there. On the second cruise it rained two days, all day for one day and half a day on day two.

Realistically the only serious problem with a hurricane will be if it hits New Jersey on the day you are leaving or hits Bermuda several days before causing serious damage. While at sea or in Bermuda the ship will monitor any hurricanes and adjust the itinerary to provide as safe a voyage as possible.

Alternate routes might be coming in behind a storm and could also mean diverting to New England and Canada. This has been done in the past

I agree with you. Whatever happens with the weather you will still be going on vacation somewhere so get on the ship. It would be a bummer though because Bermuda is so amazing. I've sailed there 3 times all during hurricane season and have never had a problem. It is quite rare to have an itinerary change (probably a lot more common in the Caribbean) but it can happen. If it ever does I'll find a way to pull some great fun out of the vacation anyway.

Thanks everyone! Our anniversary is in August and we always take a trip... Most often to the Caribbean. We have experienced 2 hurricanes on our trips... So I know it happens :-) I grew up on the coast in North Carolina and lived trough some really terrible ones. I am just a little worried about the rough seas on the ship during a hurricane... Doesn't sound good!

Sent from my iPad using Forums