Rough seas?

Cougardave

I honestly don't know if there is, but I would guess it is available somewhere on the ship, perhaps in the infirmary. Personally, I would buy it locally and pack it. It doesn't take up much space and its pretty cheap if you end up not needing it. If you do need it, you'll know right where it is and won't need to spend any time trying to find some on the ship. There is also something in a rub on stick form that seems to be even more effective, but I can't recall what its called.

That said, we did not encounter what I would call "rough" seas on our three Alaska cruises, 2 on Westerdam and one on Amsterdam. But then again, I'm not at all susceptible to sea sickness, so what might not be rough to me may be torturous to others. I would bring my own if I were you. I have done so on every cruise and have never needed it, but better safe than sorry.

We take Bonine with us and take one every night beginning the night before the cruise. It doesn't make you drowsy and needs to be in your system so you are ready for rough seas if they occur. I used to get seasick every cruise for a few days until my body acclimated to the motion of the ocean, but since taking Bonine nightly on every cruise I have never had the slightest problem even in the roughest of seas.

I , too, would bring my own. Our Alaskan cruise was in early July and we never had rough seas. Even the one day of rain that we did encounter was not accompanied by rough seas.

Have fun, you will LOVE Alaska!

We have cruised to Alaska twice. First time, seas were very rough. Husband, myself and most onboard were sick. Access to the ship's exterior was locked as well. Last Alaska sailing, seas were ok and we did fine. I highly suggest taking dramamine with you. For best results, take the dramamine as a preventive before you need it. This is my advice from learning the hard way.

BYOB - Bring your own Bonine (or non-drowsy Dramamine. That way you will have it with you. If you are prone to motion sickness, take it before you encounter the conditions that make you nauseous. It works much better as a preventive measure than it does as a curative one. Most people tolerate it well.

<BEGIN EXCITING WARNINGS AND DISCLAIMERS>

Do not use for children under 12 years of age unless directed by a doctor.

Do not take unless directed by a doctor if you have:

• Glaucoma
  • Trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostate gland
  • A breathing problem such as emphysema or chronic bronchitis
  • Do not take if you are taking sedatives or tranquilizers, without first consulting your doctor

When using this product

• Do not exceed the recommended dosage
  • Drowsiness may occur
  • Avoid alcoholic drinks
  • Alcohol, sedatives and tranquilizers may increase drowsiness
  • Be careful when driving or operating machinery
  • If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use

Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.

Poison Exposure? Questions? Call Your Poison Center at:

1-800-222-1222

If you are looking for a generic version, it's Meclazine HCL.

</END EXCITING WARNINGS AND DISCLAIMERS>

I will tell you that we routinely ignore the warning about "avoiding alcoholic beverages" and actually use Bonine with two aspirin and a big glass of water as a night time hangover preventative. (Just because we do it, doesn't mean that you should.)

Edited by POA1

We cruised last week on the Oosterdam. There was rough water the 2nd night before Glacier Bay. I would suggest that you take generic Bonine with you. It is inexpensive and less sedating than Dramamine.

Yes, there is some kind of a complimentary sea sick pill available at the Front Office. Since you are sailing on the Westerdam out of Seattle there is a slight chance the seas could get rough. This sailing does not go up the Inside Passage, but rather travels north along the West Coast of Vancouver Island with the open Pacific Ocean on the port side of the ship. I wish you calm seas and lots of sun shine. Enjoy your cruise. Alaska is beautiful.:)

the Front Office has had free Bonine on all of our recent cruises.

Can be rough the first night and next day due to going out into the Pacific when you sail from Seattle. Inside Passage is only used out of Vancouver.

We take Bonine with us and have never had a problem with drowsiness.

We take one the first morning before we board then one every morning if there are going to be rough seas. We sail in aft corner suites so really feel it when rough.

I know the OP was asking specifically about sea sickness meds which has been answered in the posts above. I just want to also recommend sea bands. These are, to me, worth their weight in gold! I am prone to motion sickness and have yet to be sick on a cruise. I did experience rough seas on the way to Alaska on my first cruise. Many people were sick; I was fine with my sea bands.

You just wear them on both wrists, and adjust them so the little ball sits on the inside of the wrist (about three finger widths down from where your hand starts), near where one would feel for a pulse. The theory is that the accupressure that the ball provides is enough to keep the nausea at bay. I've been advised by an acupuncturist and a massage therapist that the accupressure will always work. If it doesn't feel like it's working, then the ball is not in the correct spot on the wrist.

Enjoy your cruise!

I'm going to Alaska next week on the Westerdam. I've heard that sometimes the seas get rough. Is there Dramamine available at the pursers desk if it becomes an uncomfortable ride?

Our rule of thumb is this....if you're prone to motion sickness, take something BEFORE you feel sick. DW purchases generic meclizine prior to leaving home, and starts taking it the night before embarkation. That way, if the seas are rough, she's prepared. And, she always takes the meclizine at night, as it does make her drowsy for the first few hours. The dosage that she takes is the 25 mg and the bottle costs $3.99.

Catl is right, you can get 'SeaCalm' from both the front desk and the infirmity. Most the time the seas are not rough enough for the need for any medication but its always good to know that you can get it on board incase you forget to bring something along with you.

Edited by PathfinderEss

SEA BANDS! Excellent, no drugs, no warnings, pay about $7-10 for a pair at your local drugstore or Wal-Mart, they will work for you forever.

I've was very queasy on our first cruise, Alaska out of Vancouver, but as bad as others. The sea sickness bags were out and about. After that I got Sea Bands for each of us and we put them on only if the seas start to feel rough. One time DH started feeling queasy and I suggested he put on his bands... 30 minutes later I asked him how he felt and he said, Fine, why? He'd forgotten all about it. We have seen some rough seas, 75+ mph winds, 20' waves, and the Sea Bands do the trick. YMMV!

When we went on the inland passage back in 2002, on the way to Hubbard Glacier we encountered 18 foot swells and gale force winds. That was during the 3rd week of June. We use the Sea Bands, but with high rocking motion, I got very sick.

Just saying anything is possible.

Danny