What's the point of a using travel agent?

hirobmay

I booked through a UK TA. After checking prices directly with Celebrity, through some US TA's this worked out to be the cheapest option.

I booked as soon as the cruise was released so almost 16 months before the cruise. They gave me the early booking OBC and a discount (which basically gave us free gratuities for the 3 of us) . I was also able to get the drinks package added when the 123 promotion came out.

So for us using a TA was to our benefit but you don't always get the same range of rooms to chose from if you booked direct.

I think I am pretty savvy when it comes to booking travel by the internet. I am comfortable booking hotels, airfare, car rentals, and vacation packages. Cruises I always use a T/A because the deals they can get.

I have used the same large Orlando based agency for 5 years. I research extensively for what I want and call to what see has to offer.

Our next cruise in Sept 2015 to Hawaii, just after pricing was released last month, she got us into a promotional group booking. I got a 1A verandah for a 2C price plus $175 obc from Celebrity and $300 obc from her. Just this week I asked about 123go promotion, if we available to take advantage of the offer. Not only were able to get 123go Classic Beverage pkg, we got to keep all of our obc and cruise rate without rebooking.

This why I use a T/A.

I don't know how it works in the UK, but here in the States I just turned over a booking today to a TA that I originally had booked directly with Celebrity.

Because the Agency had group-negotiated pricing available for my sailing, I was able to save just over $500 on the cruise fare in the category I had booked. I was also able to retain my 123GO promotion as well as a $150 "deployment" promotion OBC in the transfer process.

The first cruise we booked I used a local brick and mortar travel agency for the sole purpose of supporting my local community. Once was enough. Thanks to Cruise Critic, I expected a bottle of wine, flowers...some little token of appreciation from our agent. We got nothing, not even a Thank You note.

Now I book through large online companies. I'd say it's all about the perks they include (most recently upgrading our 1,2,3 classic drink package to the premium package plus free gratuities and some OBC), but that's not entirely true. When I want to make a change or have a question, the agency deals directly with Celebrity. I've never encountered the nightmare hold times that I read about here.

I don't know how you all find these agencies with such good deals.:rolleyes: Like thebutlerdidit, my former TA rarely offered anything unless I asked...and then it was little. They were, however, good about responding back to me, making changes, etc. without much fuss. All this done through email correspondence. Something I preferred. I think I may have talked to my TA twice on the phone in 5 years. :)

I am afraid that a big online agency would be impersonal, mess things up, etc. Also, don't they all have a cancellation fee? Celebrity doesn't if done before final.

I currently have a cruised booked for 2016 that we could possibly change the date or even cancel. The cruise was booked onboard, so we have the 1-2-3 perk. If I transferred it to a TA before the 60 days is up, I may be able to get additional perks, but may have to pay a penalty if we changed the cruise. :mad:

The only reason I use a t/a is for more OBC and that is an online agent not a full service agent. If you feel comfortable and have the knowledge to do it yourself you do not need a travel agent. It is easier to deal with the cruise line directly. I used a full service t/a once and would never do it again.

I completely agree! We used to use a TA, but now we book directly with X. I much prefer being able to control my booking myself. Before I would call X, and they would tell me to contact my TA--of course it was always a weekend, or my TA was out of the office for a few days. It also bugged me that I was calling my TA to inform them of price drops in our categories etc. MUCH easier to do it yourself directly with X.

Having a TA was helpful when we were "cruising virgins", but totally unnecessary now, IMHO.

Shawn

I don't know how you all find these agencies with such good deals.:rolleyes: Like thebutlerdidit, my former TA rarely offered anything unless I asked...and then it was little. They were, however, good about responding back to me, making changes, etc. without much fuss. All this done through email correspondence. Something I preferred. I think I may have talked to my TA twice on the phone in 5 years. :)

I am afraid that a big online agency would be impersonal, mess things up, etc. Also, don't they all have a cancellation fee? Celebrity doesn't if done before final.

I currently have a cruised booked for 2016 that we could possibly change the date or even cancel. The cruise was booked onboard, so we have the 1-2-3 perk. If I transferred it to a TA before the 60 days is up, I may be able to get additional perks, but may have to pay a penalty if we changed the cruise. :mad:

I was able to locate the TA who had group rates through the Internet website where you list the cruise, sailing date, category, etc you're looking at, and participating agencies reply back (via email) with price quotes, amenities they're offering, etc. Although this website isn't a travel agency, I do believe it's against CC posting rules to name them. So you've got a little research to do! ;)

With regard to your concern about on line TA's charging change/cancel fees, they all are different. Some do, some don't. The particular agency I transferred my booking to yesterday does not charge any fees, although I've worked with some in the past who do. Fortunately, you can find this all out in advance before booking through them and make your own decision.

I'm sensing a perception that some people think if you book through an "on line" agency, that communications will be difficult over the life of the booking. Over the years, I've booked through a number of "on line" agencies, and I communicate with them (email and/or phone) whenever I have questions, etc, like I would any non "on line" agency. I don't understand the misconception.....

While I have nothing against local, brick-and-mortar agencies, a TA I know who specializes in luxury cruise travel gave up paying rent for a storefront agency in the small town where she resides when she discovered the overwhelming majority of her clientele wasn't local at all, but rather from all over the country doing business via email, text and phone. She now runs her business out of her home. Like most agencies, she has a website as an advertising tool (although you can't "book" cruises on line). Does this mean she's now an "on line" agency?

We used to book with a TA in the days when they would give a discount on the published fare, but they are no longer allowed to do this and, in addition, we have not found them helpful about obtaining price drops. By booking direct with Celebrity, there is no problem getting price drops (as you have found), you can contact them seven days a week and they are very knowledgeable about the product, as they are only dealing with their own cruises.

Some UK cruisers do use US TA's to get extra perks, but if you have booked your flights with Celebrity UK, it becomes a "package holiday" under the EU travel directive and Celebrity becomes responsible for your entire holiday (cruise and flights). For those of us who prefer to book in the UK, I can't think of a single reason to use a TA now.

I totally agree with everything you have said.

Unfortunately, just before Christmas, I choose to use a TA, as they were offering the extra points , just after the change in the Captains Club.

Later, I read that other passengers were getting Classic drinks added.

I emailed the TA, who contacted Celebrity in Miami. They told me, No, for new bookings only. However, this took 28 days.

If I had rung Celebrity UK, I would have had an immediate reply.

BTW, I have never been on hold more than 5 minutes when contacting Celebrity UK.

BTW, I have never been on hold more than 5 minutes when contacting Celebrity UK.

I am guessing that you have not needed to call them recently, then! Wjat really annoys me is that now only their 0844 numbers work so that I am paying them to keep me on hold! [i did not realise that the company you are calling received some of the cost of calling the 0844 number until I got so annoyed that I dug around on the Internet. It gives them no incentive to answer quickly.]

I don't know why anybody gets upset when a TA charges a cancellation fee. I didn't work for free and neither should they. I don't book a cruise until I'm sure it's the one for us. So far, knock on wood, I haven't cancelled any of the 31 cruises I've booked so far. The online charges $50 p.p. for cancelling but nothing for changes. My next cruise is a B2B on the Equinox in October. They had group rates for both so I paid $700 p.p. less than booking through Celebrity. With a couple of "special" obcs, we are getting $1,000 from them. If we go, we saved $2,400, if we have to cancel, we are out $100. A no brainer.

I was able to locate the TA who had group rates through the Internet website where you list the cruise, sailing date, category, etc you're looking at, and participating agencies reply back (via email) with price quotes, amenities they're offering, etc. Although this website isn't a travel agency, I do believe it's against CC posting rules to name them. So you've got a little research to do! ;)

With regard to your concern about on line TA's charging change/cancel fees, they all are different. Some do, some don't. The particular agency I transferred my booking to yesterday does not charge any fees, although I've worked with some in the past who do. Fortunately, you can find this all out in advance before booking through them and make your own decision.

I'm sensing a perception that some people think if you book through an "on line" agency, that communications will be difficult over the life of the booking. Over the years, I've booked through a number of "on line" agencies, and I communicate with them (email and/or phone) whenever I have questions, etc, like I would any non "on line" agency. I don't understand the misconception.....

I know what website you are speaking of. I tried that a couple of years ago. Got back a few quotes, and they were all basically the same offer that I was getting from the cruiseline. I did converse with one TA that added a little more. He turned out to be creepy and pushy, so I gave up.

The "misconception" notion, for me, comes from reading reviews about these agencies. I have also read things on CC. Not being able to get in touch with the TA you booked through, or dealing with a different TA in the agency, everytime you called. Of course, that happens with celebrity, as well. Sure wish I knew who you worked with yesterday? ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

I don't know why anybody gets upset when a TA charges a cancellation fee. I didn't work for free and neither should they. I don't book a cruise until I'm sure it's the one for us. So far, knock on wood, I haven't cancelled any of the 31 cruises I've booked so far. The online charges $50 p.p. for cancelling but nothing for changes. My next cruise is a B2B on the Equinox in October. They had group rates for both so I paid $700 p.p. less than booking through Celebrity. With a couple of "special" obcs, we are getting $1,000 from them. If we go, we saved $2,400, if we have to cancel, we are out $100. A no brainer.

Nothing against it, but Celebrity doesn't penalize for cancelling. If I am sure of the cruise, I could look into a TA. With one booked in 2016, I am not sure and would rather not lose money. ;)

Here's a pickle.

The question is: What do I do now?

I finally booked a European Cruise solo [200% supplement] through a TA because I got an email promotion that the agency would comp the gratuities.

When I got the confirmation phone call the TA told me I would also get $200 ChoiceAir Credit when my flights were booked AND the Celebrity Agent told her I get the 123Go promotion with TWO choices as it is a European Cruise.

The next day the TA calls and "Yes, You are booked and have your cabin, but Celebrity does not want to give you the 123Go promotion because that is for Ocean View or higher" even though the Celebrity Agent told her that I would get it. [she said she is fighting to get these]

Then after the flights were booked through ChoiceAir I get my invoice which does not have the Choice Air Credit and has the Pre-paid Gratuities billed to me.

I call and she says they are working on a negation for the 123Go parts since the Celebrity Agent promised them, and I may have to pay the gratuities and then I'll be reimbursed?

What on earth??? What did I do wrong? [aside from pick the wrong cruise travel agent!]

But more importantly...what do I do now?

I really try to be pleasant and not yell and scream or get nasty....pick your battles...but....this ain't working!!!

HLR

Edited by HLR

The "misconception" notion, for me, comes from reading reviews about these agencies. I have also read things on CC. Not being able to get in touch with the TA you booked through, or dealing with a different TA in the agency, everytime you called. Of course, that happens with celebrity, as well. Sure wish I knew who you worked with yesterday? ;)

For what its worth, I have a Princess cruise coming up I booked through an on line agency via their website's booking engine. There were a few logistical questions I had, and I was able to establish an email "relationship" with the same agent throughout our several exchanges. I've had similar experiences with other on line agencies as opposed to having to speak with someone different each time I needed to contact them.

If you click on my profile, you may find my email address laying around in there somewhere. ;)

The issue with Celebrity is always the fine print and the ever changing promotions, which are usually uncombinable.

I always transfer my bookings to a TA...which one? Whichever of the two has the best promotion. One ( the internet one ) has often better prices and OBC / cash back. The other offers a % $ back on Seabourne bookings and OBC

You can do your own research, but when it comes to booking it's more expensive to book directly with the cruise company

We've always booked direct with the cruise line and then transferred our booking within 60 days of our reservation, to a big box store membership TA to gain extra perks, obc, and better insurance rates. This TA has been very good, and available through online or telephone contact. We prefer telephone communication and they also are available throughout the weekend with a Pacific Standard time frame that gives us additional hours for contact as well. They have been very helpful with a price drop as well securing us an cabin upgrade.

Edited by shoesonfire

Here's a pickle.

The question is: What do I do now?

I finally booked a European Cruise solo [200% supplement] through a TA because I got an email promotion that the agency would comp the gratuities.

When I got the confirmation phone call the TA told me I would also get $200 ChoiceAir Credit when my flights were booked AND the Celebrity Agent told her I get the 123Go promotion with TWO choices as it is a European Cruise.

The next day the TA calls and "Yes, You are booked and have your cabin, but Celebrity does not want to give you the 123Go promotion because that is for Ocean View or higher" even though the Celebrity Agent told her that I would get it. [she said she is fighting to get these]

Then after the flights were booked through ChoiceAir I get my invoice which does not have the Choice Air Credit and has the Pre-paid Gratuities billed to me.

I call and she says they are working on a negation for the 123Go parts since the Celebrity Agent promised them, and I may have to pay the gratuities and then I'll be reimbursed?

What on earth??? What did I do wrong? [aside from pick the wrong cruise travel agent!]

But more importantly...what do I do now?

I really try to be pleasant and not yell and scream or get nasty....pick your battles...but....this ain't working!!!

HLR

For a European cruise, you are allowed two perks. However, you do need to book OV or higher. The 1-2-3 and PYP have always been that way, so you really are not due any perks and probably why you are being billed thru Celebrity. Once again, either Celebrity gave your TA wrong information, or your TA failed to tell you that you needed to book a higher stateroom. Check the prices and see if you can upgrade.

For what it's worth, I would not have picked Choice Air. You can usually do better booking a flight on your own. I think it's too late to cancel that, though. If not, I'd cancel the whole cruise and start over with someone else or direct with Celebrity. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

For a European cruise, you are allowed two perks. However, you do need to book OV or higher. The 1-2-3 and PYP have always been that way, so you really are not due any perks and probably why you are being billed thru Celebrity. Once again, either Celebrity gave your TA wrong information, or your TA failed to tell you that you needed to book a higher stateroom. Check the prices and see if you can upgrade.

For what it's worth, I would not have picked Choice Air. You can usually do better booking a flight on your own. I think it's too late to cancel that, though. If not, I'd cancel the whole cruise and start over with someone else or direct with Celebrity. ;)

Obviously the Celebrity Agent gave my TA the wrong info as you said.

But the question remains: "WHAT DO I DO NOW?"

Where is the choice air credit? Why am I being billed for Gratuities that the agency says they are paying if you book though them?

Guess I can call again and bug them...which I shouldn't have to do!

HLR

Ah, I missed the part that the agency was taking care of the gratuities. Thought that was part of the Celebrity promo.

As for the Choice Air, it was my understanding that you get a certain amount off of your air cost. Therefore, there would be no "credit" showing. I could be wrong. I have never used that promo...sorry. Hopefully, someone else will chime in.

What you do next is do exactly what you said. Bug your TA for the things that you are suppose to get from them. The others, you will not get unless you upgrade your stateroom. :(

We just booked our first cruise with a TA. We were able to upgrade our 2D to a 1C and get $50 OBC for no extra money.

Your lower price probably means you got into a group rate, which you should keep in mind

What are the negatives of this? We are part of a group booking.

We just booked our first cruise with a TA. We were able to upgrade our 2D to a 1C and get $50 OBC for no extra money.

What are the negatives of this? We are part of a group booking.

There are no negatives. A group booking means your travel agent committed to a block of rooms on the ship. They get an extra quantity discount and they pass part of the savings back to you.

HLR

No you shouldn't have to bug anyone but I would try not to think about it as bugging anyone

If mistakes were made and they cost you they should be fixed and unfortunately you have to get on the phone with your TA. The last 2 sailings I chose not to have a TA because I got tired of straightening out the messes. On the sailing 1/15 I booked onboard I was given bonuses. I watch prices and when they went down & there was a new promotion I called celebrity and they gave me the reduction and more obc. I did lose free gratuities but was $425 ahead. Whenever I would ask a TA about a new promotion they would say it is not combinable. I had a very dirty cabin on a sailing and the cruiseline would not change my cabin -- and the TA was no help. I contacted the head office myself and received a large obc apology. I got tired of straightening out mistakes of the TAs & lots of times I knew the info & policies better than they did

You should speak to your agent and ask to take off the gratuity payment

And if necessary upgrade to get the benefits. Ask about the choice air credit. I have heard good things about choice air though do I would make sure I could do better on my own

And monitor the prices on your sailing as often as you can -- Also, sometimes you can combine promotions. If your TA fails to fix this ask for their supervisor and if that doesn't work. Call celebrity and plead your case. I've also tried just calling back hoping to get a different agent

Good luck. Happy sailing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's kind of misinformation (or a difference in terminology) to say that TA's can't "discount" the cost. I often pay less than the cruise line's "rack rate" because I'm made part of a "group booking." Sometimes this discount is in the form of OBC's and other perks. SOMETIMES (even on Celebrity and RCI) it's in the form of lower "group" pricing. Often it's BOTH. So they may not CALL it a discount. They may call it group pricing (even though I know no one in "the group.") But if I'm paying less than if I booked direct, IMHO that's a discount. Getting perks on top of it are the icing on the cake.

My husband and myself booked the 10 night southern Caribbean sailing on the Equinox for April through a TA that we have used often. In scrolling around (always checking prices) I saw an unbelievable deal for the same cruise. Called my TA and she couldn't match it. Being the great person that she is she actually told me to cancel with her and re-book it because that agency had definitely booked a group. I did and am now paying less for a category higher, the drink package, and an extra $100 OBC. I would say that's a great deal using a TA. Celebrity's rates were $400 higher p/p

There are no negatives. A group booking means your travel agent committed to a block of rooms on the ship. They get an extra quantity discount and they pass part of the savings back to you.

The OP was from the UK but the discussion has now moved across the pond. Nothing wrong with that but, for the sake of clarity, this is another area where the US and UK differ.

In the US, I believe that it does not matter if you have a group booking because that booking does not [usually] include flights. In the UK, [usually] it does and there is a problem with a group booking including flights. These appear to be offered by both Celebrity and TAs in the UK but result in the inability to manage you flight reservation in any way. i.e. you cannot book seats in advance, purchase extra luggage, etc. The airline knows nothing about you until you arrive at the airport by which time seats together for a family group [for example] are no longer available.

It's kind of misinformation (or a difference in terminology) to say that TA's can't "discount" the cost. I often pay less than the cruise line's "rack rate" because I'm made part of a "group booking." Sometimes this discount is in the form of OBC's and other perks. SOMETIMES (even on Celebrity and RCI) it's in the form of lower "group" pricing. Often it's BOTH. So they may not CALL it a discount. They may call it group pricing (even though I know no one in "the group.") But if I'm paying less than if I booked direct, IMHO that's a discount. Getting perks on top of it are the icing on the cake.

In the UK, the TAs used to actually give a discount on the price of the cruise, but they are no longer allowed to do this, and they generally don't offer extra OBC or other significant perks. One or two do offer group rates, (which are slightly lower), but then you can't take advantage of price drops, which Celebrity will honour if you have booked direct with them.

Another difference in the UK is that the rules regarding package holidays mean that if you book your flights and cruise with Celebrity, the cruise line effectively become your TA and, if you have flight delays or other problems, they have to assist you.

I can't see any reason to use a TA if you are booking in the UK (as the OP has done) but in the US it seems there can be advantages and the situation is not as clear cut.

I never have to deal with Celebrity’s dastardly phone system.

If there’s any problem, I just call my guy at his local phone number, and he picks up 7 days a week, any time.

Just now I had to use my travel insurance because my parents weren’t able to come on the cruise and i’d booked them a royal suite. I didn’t do anything - just called my guy, and the check from the insurance company arrived a short while ago.

One cruise, OBC not posted to my account. I texted my guy, OBC appeared that same day.

To each his own. I prefer personalized service versus lines, versus 1-800 numbers, and especially gadgets.

Anything from travel agent, auto dealer, banker, haircut, heck even the waitress at my coffee-shop (she’s off on Thursdays so I don’t go) - i love nice relationships and personalized services. I dread doing things without that.