westerdam fire

I am guessing they had to wait for a pilot.

If that were the case, I think CCL would have released a statement saying that the departure was delayed because they had to wait for a pilot. But the details given were sketchy at best, yet no mention of delay due to lack of a pilot - something CCL could have seized upon if that was the situation.

If that were the case, I think CCL would have released a statement saying that the departure was delayed because they had to wait for a pilot. But the details given were sketchy at best, yet no mention of delay due to lack of a pilot - something CCL could have seized upon if that was the situation.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I'd rather they spend their time determining what went wrong and making the fixes so it doesn't happen again than pandering to the outcry to release facts.

Then again, I never bought into the X-Files conspiracy and cover-up behind every door thing either...

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I'd rather they spend their time determining what went wrong and making the fixes so it doesn't happen again than pandering to the outcry to release facts.

Then again, I never bought into the X-Files conspiracy and cover-up behind every door thing either...

It probably would take about the same amount of time to release an evasive press release as it would to state the facts as they know them.

I had hoped the Coast Guard would have made some statement or public investigation like the FAA does when there is a plane incident.

[/b]I thought I read that because the incident occurred in U.S. waters, the USCG ordered the ship back to Seattle and followed up with an Inspection. They determined the ship could sail again but there were repairs that had to be made or at least the parts needed for the repairs needed to be aboard the ship. I also think I read there was some other agency that had to inspect the ship before they could sail.

[/b]

I was under the impression that the Coast Guard ordered the ship back to port for inspection. I must have read that somewhere - I'm not smart enough to think of that on my own.

Also, because the cruise originated in Seattle I thought it made sense to return to Seattle - "in case" the cruise could not continue passengers would at least be at what would have been their final destination.

Edited by Linda&Vern

Copper 10-8,

I do appreciate your insight and answer to my question. I have learned once agian.

I was under the impression that the hot water needed for the ship's hotel services came from water that absorbed residue heat from the engines. That would be a very effective use of such waste heat, naturally.

Clearly, I need to take another "Behind the Scenes Tour" on my next HAL ship and ask some additional questions. I have found those tours extraordinarily interesting, well run, and worth the cost for those of us who are so interested!

Many thanks again for your input!

Actually I know some number of ships use that heat to desalinate sea water. I believe we were on the Noordam when the Captain described that process.

Edited by KirkNC

One of the local news stories said that the ship had to wait to be cleared by Coast Guard inspectors as well as Lloyds Register inspectors. Luckily the Lloyds Register North America office is in Bellevue, WA (across the lake from Seattle).

Edited by frankc98376

One of the local news stories said that the ship had to wait to be cleared by Coast Guard inspectors as well as Lloyds Register inspectors. Luckily the Lloyds Register North America office is in Bellevue, WA (across the lake from Seattle).

This makes sense for insurance purposes.

And since the boiler is used mainly for distilling water, kitchen, etc., I can understand the coast guard making certain that the problem can be fixed and passengers won't have to worry about any more problems on the open sea.

My goodness I can't believe how some are assuming that there is or will be a cover-up..:rolleyes:

Suggest you read the entire thread before assuming the worst!

In Post 188 on this thread Copper10-8 states the U.S. Coast Guard ordered the ship back to Seattle!

Yes, she could have Roy, but because the boiler room fire occurred in U.S. waters, the U.S. Coast Guard ordered her back to Seattle

BTW My Nephew was in the U.S. Coast Guard as a fireman stationed in Alaska, & he mentioned that would be SOP..

Sam Seattle, No where did it state in this thread that the ship returned voluntarily! I would think that eventually the U.S. Coast Guard report will be posted for all to see on their WEB site..

As I stated, if the Capt. of the ship or Seattle believes that the Psgrs .need to know the facts, in order for them to remain safe, they will not withhold them but also know that they may never make a public statement..

Also Sam Seattle - When a flight returns or lands for an emergency, many times it is not known by the general public.. I worked at JFK, one of the largest airports in the world, in the 60's & 70's..We often saw flights returning because of major problems, which were never made public.. Our office was on the third floor, very close to the Control Tower...

One time several of the people in our office dived under their desks, as an aircraft flew over our office for the Control Tower to take a visual of their landing gear.. It scared us half to death, but there was never a public announcement..

Wouldn't the Coast Guard report be a public record?

Yes, I think the USCG report will be made pubic - but it may take some time for that to happen. For example, the report on the fire that occurred on the Carnival Splendor on November 8, 2010 wasn't released until July 15, 2013 [reference http://www.uscgnews.com/go/doc/4007/1822215/U-S-Coast-Guard-releases-final-report-on-investigation-into-Carnival-Splendor-fire ]

Yes, I think the USCG report will be made pubic - but it may take some time for that to happen. For example, the report on the fire that occurred on the Carnival Splendor on November 8, 2010 wasn't released until July 15, 2013 [reference http://www.uscgnews.com/go/doc/4007/1822215/U-S-Coast-Guard-releases-final-report-on-investigation-into-Carnival-Splendor-fire ]

That's the final report. Not the initial report. The final report comes out after all the investigations, hearings, etc. They were reporting as it happened.

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2010/11/coast-guard-response-to-carnival-splendor-continues/

That's the final report. Not the initial report. The final report comes out after all the investigations, hearings, etc. They were reporting as it happened.

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2010/11/coast-guard-response-to-carnival-splendor-continues/

I forgot to mention that the NTSB not the FAA investigates Airline, Marine, Railway, highway & other significant accidents in modes of transportation in the U.S. The NTSB is an independent agency mandated by Congress in 1926 to investigate these accidents when the "Air Commerce Act" was passed.. They normally issue the final report when an accident is serious..They do however co-ordinate with the other agency's & give suggestions in order to promote safety in transportation..

From their WEB site- QUOTE The National Transportation Safety Board is an independent Federal agency charged by Congress with investigating every civil aviation accident the United States and significant accidents in other modes of transportation – railroad, highway, marine and pipeline. The NTSB determines the probable cause of the accidents and issues safety recommendations aimed at preventing future accidents. In addition, the NTSB carries out special studies concerning transportation safety and coordinates the resources of the Federal Government and other organizations to provide assistance to victims and their family members impacted by major transportation disasters.UNQUOTE

Edited by serendipity1499

Perhaps the NSA can answer that one..........

:D They can look for that while searching for lost e-mails. We get a 'two-fer'. Finally, a government agency trying to save us money. :)

So much speculation. The fact is - there was a fire, it was successfully dealt with, and now the investigation begins. Let them get on with it and wait until they release the findings. As to the article in/by Cruiselawnews - seems evident that the lawyer there is basically an ambulance-chaser-type lawyer.

So much speculation. The fact is - there was a fire' date=' it was successfully dealt with, and now the investigation begins. Let them get on with it and wait until they release the findings. As to the article in/by Cruiselawnews - seems evident that the lawyer there is basically an ambulance-chaser-type lawyer.[/quote']

Bingo! That is EXACTLY what he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So much speculation. The fact is - there was a fire' date=' it was successfully dealt with, and now the investigation begins. Let them get on with it and wait until they release the findings. As to the article in/by Cruiselawnews - seems evident that the lawyer there is basically an ambulance-chaser-type lawyer.

Really? If so, then it is good that there is at least someone asking questions. Or would you rather that cruise lines retain complete control over any contemporary information released regarding fires, crimes, accidents, and deaths on board? But, as you suggested, we can "wait until they release the findings".

BTW, when do you think "they" (whomever "they" are) will release the findings of the investigation?

No matter, as I wrote previously, it won't matter in the least when fares are further reduced: Everyone who isn't concerned about the cause of the fire should book their family on the ship at the next possible opportunity.

Really? If so, then it is good that there is at least someone asking questions. Or would you rather that cruise lines retain complete control over any contemporary information released regarding fires, crimes, accidents, and deaths on board? But, as you suggested, we can "wait until they release the findings".

BTW, when do you think "they" (whomever "they" are) will release the findings of the investigation?

No matter, as I wrote previously, it won't matter in the least when fares are further reduced: Everyone who isn't concerned about the cause of the fire should book their family on the ship at the next possible opportunity.

Do you doubt that the lawyer is an ambulance-chaser? He's not asking questions, he's not doing any investigation of value- he's just looking for retainers.

You're jumping all over something you have no facts about - just like that lawyer - and making major assumptions. Let the investigation take it's course.

Do you doubt that the lawyer is an ambulance-chaser? He's not asking questions' date=' he's not doing any investigation of value- he's just looking for retainers.

You're jumping all over something you have no facts about - just like that lawyer - and making major assumptions. Let the investigation take it's course.[/quote']

Marco's Tia, quite right, there are few facts known.

In answer to your question "Do you doubt that the lawyer is an ambulance-chaser?" Perhaps he is an ambulance chaser as you suggest, but yes, I do have my doubts that is the case - much as I have doubts about some whose posts sound like they're coming from cruise line plants.

Hopefully, no one is preventing the investigation from proceeding, nor should anyone be prevented from asking questions.

If your family were taking a voyage on this ship in the near future, would you not have concerns? If a family member was a crew member, would you not worry? Even if don't have concerns, why does it bother you that others ask questions about the fires ?

Edited by Salacia

So much speculation. The fact is - there was a fire' date='[/color'] it was successfully dealt with, and now the investigation begins. Let them get on with it and wait until they release the findings. As to the article in/by Cruiselawnews - seems evident that the lawyer there is basically an ambulance-chaser-type lawyer.

Just to add:

Yes, from reports I have read there was a boiler fire, and it was "dealt with" but then it restarted. Here's a quote from one report:

"...Flames broke out on the Westerdam at around 5 p.m. as the vessel was in Puget Sound near Kingston, bound for Alaska, according to George Degener, a Coast Guard petty officer and spokesman. The crew knocked the fire down, but a while later it restarted... quoted from "http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2014/06/cruise-ship-returned-to-seattle-after-boiler-fire-doused/

Marco's Tia, quite right, there are few facts known.

In answer to your question "Do you doubt that the lawyer is an ambulance-chaser?" Perhaps he is an ambulance chaser as you suggest, but yes, I do have my doubts that is the case - much as I have doubts about some whose posts sound like they're coming from cruise line plants.

Hopefully, no one is preventing the investigation from proceeding, nor should anyone be prevented from asking questions.

If your family were taking a voyage on this ship in the near future, would you not have concerns? If a family member was a crew member, would you not worry? Even if don't have concerns, why does it bother you that others ask questions about the fires ?

Read the rest of his site Salacia. The guy is notorious in the cruise industry as an ambulance chaser stirring up suspicion and conspiracy theories where there are none. And that can get in the way of legitimate investigation - prevent it as you say.

The second something goes the slightest bit wrong (not saying a fire is slight at all) he is all over the place with connection and innuendo.

There is legitimate investigation - something I trust the USGC and others charged with the duty to do so, and then there's what this guy does.