westerdam fire

I was disappointed when we missed Sitka last September on the Westerdam (weather). One thing that happened as a result of missing Sitka was that we got a MUCH longer time in Victoria...we were there all day instead of arriving at 6:00 p.m. I hope that might be a possibility for this cruise as well. We really enjoyed our time there, whereas with the original itinerary we didn't have anything planned.

Did Victoria immediately follow Sitka last year? It follows Ketchikan this year, so I don't see how that means more time in Victoria. Unless Ketchikan times were changed as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In a case like this, would the refunds go to the method of payment or ship credit?
It really doesn't make a difference. When tours are cancelled by the cruise line, the amount will be a credit on your on board account. If there is excess credit remaining at the end of the cruise it is returned to the passengers. In my case I received it in cash.

Have been trying to catch up.

Has the Westerdam left yet?

I do see that Sitka will be missed. And Juneau day changed.

I tried the links for the Seattle web cam -- just a blank screen.

I got the webcam OK and I see a Holland America ship, but can't tell which one it is. Glad to hear that everything is OK - it must have been really frightening for the passengers but it sounds like it was handled well by the captain and crew.

Interesting. Though if other ships are already scheduled in that day, wouldn't the excursions be sold already? Seems more likely this way that people have a strong possibility of missing TWO excursions (at least...assuming they only had one for Juneau). In a case like this, would the refunds go to the method of payment or ship credit?

There is very little to do in Sitka.

When you tender in, the locals have creatively figured out how to by-bass the ship with some school buses and cheap trips to the bear and bird exhibits.

I just counted 49 tour options in Juneau and 18 tour options in Sitka. The big buck tours are also in Juneau.

Also - Remember the days are LONG in Alaska. Some berths will be used twice the same day. HAL tends to have the best berth locations - maybe because they were doing AK long before some of the other lines.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

Okay - I don't know the PVSA but always defer to the experts! Thanks

PVSA is Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886. I won't get into the details. There have been a great many conversations about it on CC.

Can you just imagine having the guests (and maybe including crew) VOTE to determine the new itinerary? :D That could really be a hoot!!!

Mytime, You don't have to read the legislation at all.. A simple explanation of the PVSA will suffice:

From Wikapedia .com RE PASSENGER VESSEL SERVICE ACT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Vessel_Services_Act_of_1886

QUOTE Under the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886, 46 App. U.S.C. § 289, foreign-flagged vessels cannot transport passengers directly between U.S. ports. The handful of U.S.-flagged cruise ships in operation are registered in the U.S. to permit cruises between the Hawaiian Islands, or from the continental U.S. to Hawaii. The Passenger Services Act, however, does not prohibit foreign-flagged ships departing from and returning to the same U.S. port. Nor does it prohibit foreign-flagged ships departing from a U.S. port, visiting a foreign port, and then continuing to a second U.S. port. However, in order to embark in a US port and disembark in a second US port, the vessel must visit a port outside of the USA. Nor does it prevent a ship from taking on passengers at a U.S. port and then returning them to another U.S. city by ground or air, or vice-versa.

UNQUOTE

This also applies to Foreign flagged Airlines as well.. I worked for a foreign carrier which had flights from Detroit to New York & then on to Europe..

We could not disembark those Psgrs who boarded in Detroit, in New York before we went to a foreign port..

Edited by serendipity1499

It really doesn't make a difference. When tours are cancelled by the cruise line, the amount will be a credit on your on board account. If there is excess credit remaining at the end of the cruise it is returned to the passengers. In my case I received it in cash.

Thanks.

However, when excursions are paid for in advance as they are on HAL rather than reserved in advance but paid for day of through shipboard account as on DCL, it CAN make a difference. In my case, the card used to purchase them was stolen and has been replaced, but obviously with a new number. So I do not know how a refund to them would be handled and if that is where the refund went, I would need to call the card company and find out what would happen.

There is very little to do in Sitka.

When you tender in, the locals have creatively figured out how to by-bass the ship with some school buses and cheap trips to the bear and bird exhibits.

I just counted 49 tour options in Juneau and 18 tour options in Sitka. The big buck tours are also in Juneau.

Also - Remember the days are LONG in Alaska. Some berths will be used twice the same day. HAL tends to have the best berth locations - maybe because they were doing AK long before some of the other lines.

But with three other ships in port, odds of being able to reschedule seem slim. It's not like a whale watching company can magically get more boats or a float plane company can magically get more planes.

Edited by runnergirl71

Thanks.

However, when excursions are paid for in advance as they are on HAL rather than reserved in advance but paid for day of through shipboard account as on DCL, it CAN make a difference. In my case, the card used to purchase them was stolen and has been replaced, but obviously with a new number. So I do not know how a refund to them would be handled and if that is where the refund went, I would need to call the card company and find out what would happen.

So like I said, I received my refund in cash. Wouldn't that work in your situation? Even so, I'm sure you don't have your old credit card number tied to your shipboard account. I could be wrong though, it wouldn't be the first time. :rolleyes:

I've seen some of the discussions - but I hate reading legislation in my downtime - I read enough Medicare, HIPAA, and insurance to fry my brain!!

But yes, I can imagine - we can't even get 15 people to agree on something! much less almost 3000

We know who to turn to with Medicare and insurance questions. :)

I can't blame you for not wanting to read more legalese in your off time.

So like I said, I received my refund in cash. Wouldn't that work in your situation? Even so, I'm sure you don't have your old credit card number tied to your shipboard account. I could be wrong though, it wouldn't be the first time. :rolleyes:

Yes, it will work. I am doing cash for my account (my $420 is already set aside). Some travel things will only do refunds to the original source of payment, so that is why I was asking. I didn't know what HAL's policy towards THIS kind of refund was.

Did Victoria immediately follow Sitka last year? It follows Ketchikan this year, so I don't see how that means more time in Victoria. Unless Ketchikan times were changed as well?

Now that you mention it, I remember our whole itinerary was changed in anticipation of the storm. We went to Ketchikan a day early in place of Sitka, and then high-tailed it out of there headed south for Victoria. As a side note, despite the whining, it was absolutely the right decision, and as a bonus we got to spend a day in the Inside Passage.

Oh my gosh -- I think I finally got the link open for Seattle.

It appears that the Westerdam is docked.

It took me a long time to figure it out, too! :) Someone had said "cruiseme", turned out to be in Australia!

She's still just sitting there!

Edited by Vict0riann

Now that you mention it, I remember our whole itinerary was changed in anticipation of the storm. We went to Ketchikan a day early in place of Sitka, and then high-tailed it out of there headed south for Victoria. As a side note, despite the whining, it was absolutely the right decision, and as a bonus we got to spend a day in the Inside Passage.

a good time to remember its probably not a good idea to plan a certain day in a certain place when traveling. Some of my best days have been when things changed from what was expected...allow a few seconds of pity pot and then get up and start enjoying the change!

And she's moving!!!! wish that webcam was like the one at FLL.....

Edited by Mytime2014