westerdam fire

I was just on the phone with my mother when they announced:

They have been cleared by the Coast Guard to leave at 10 am. They will miss Sitka. There was a lot of apologizing.

Just thought I would share the update...

So about 2 more hours....bummer.

Wonder if they voted on missing Sitka vs Victoria? I would have preferred seeing Sitka

So about 2 more hours....bummer.

Wonder if they voted on missing Sitka vs Victoria? I would have preferred seeing Sitka

They are required to go to Victoria, as it is the only international port. It is too bad they are missing Sitka, many (myself included) chose that itinerary especially for Sitka. All the Alaskan ports are so different from each other, I guess it boils down to timing.

Many thanks to those of you providing updates passed along from friends and family on board Westerdam.

Most important is that all aboard are safe and ship is in suitable condition to sail.

Okay - I don't know the PVSA but always defer to the experts! Thanks

PVSA is Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886. I won't get into the details. There have been a great many conversations about it on CC.

Can you just imagine having the guests (and maybe including crew) VOTE to determine the new itinerary? :D That could really be a hoot!!!

Edited by sail7seas

Captain just announced the Coast Guard cleared the ship. Will miss Sitka and be in Juneau July 2 instead of the 1st. Hopefully leaving port soon.

A little off topic, but here is my Sitka story. We were on this sailing last year and arrived in Sitka on the 4th of July. Coming back to the ship from our tour on a "school bus", we ended up right in the middle of the town parade. (yes... in the parade). It was a hoot! the people on the streets had fun joking about the tourists. They tossed us candy too.

So Sorry the folks on this sailing will miss Sitka. It is the closest example of really living in Alaska and so very pretty too...

Maybe the really good news is that the crew caught the fire early and everyone is safe and she is on her way to Alaska, just a little behind schedule.

Enjoy... and Make some lemon aide as you depart from Seattle on what should be a very nice day.

PVSA is Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886. I won't get into the details. There have been a great many conversations about it on CC.

Can you just imagine having the guests (and maybe including crew) VOTE to determine the new itinerary? :D That could really be a hoot!!!

I've seen some of the discussions - but I hate reading legislation in my downtime - I read enough Medicare, HIPAA, and insurance to fry my brain!!

But yes, I can imagine - we can't even get 15 people to agree on something! much less almost 3000

(Snip) that would be totally hilarious. Probably some smart xxx would vote for the Caribbean :D;). It's too bad about Sitka. It's really beautiful.

Edited by cruz chic

(Snip) that would be totally hilarious. Probably some smart xxx would vote for the Caribbean :D;). It's too bad about Sitka. It's really beautiful.

LOL! That made me laugh. Try to get 3 people to agree on something, let alone a ship-load.:D

Sorry to go a little off topic but how does Victoria get classified as a "distant foreign port" under the PVSA? Are ports in Mexico classified the same?

Victoria is a "near foreign port", as that is all that's required as a stop when the passengers are both starting and ending at the same US port.

A "distant foreign port" is necessary when passengers are starting in one US port, but ending in a different US port.

Many thanks to those of you providing updates passed along from friends and family on board Westerdam.

Most important is that all aboard are safe and ship is in suitable condition to sail.

Says it all for me:) Thanks Sail!!

Joanie

Sorry to go a little off topic but how does Victoria get classified as a "distant foreign port" under the PVSA? Are ports in Mexico classified the same?
No mention was made on this thread about Victoria being a "distant foreign port". :confused: That only comes into play when a foreign flagged carrier is transporting passengers between two different US ports. A round trip cruise only needs a stop in a foreign port - if it stops at any port (that is why you'll sometimes see 'cruises to nowhere').

A little off topic, but here is my Sitka story. We were on this sailing last year and arrived in Sitka on the 4th of July. Coming back to the ship from our tour on a "school bus", we ended up right in the middle of the town parade. (yes... in the parade). It was a hoot! the people on the streets had fun joking about the tourists. They tossed us candy too.

So Sorry the folks on this sailing will miss Sitka. It is the closest example of really living in Alaska and so very pretty too...

Maybe the really good news is that the crew caught the fire early and everyone is safe and she is on her way to Alaska, just a little behind schedule.

Enjoy... and Make some lemon aide as you depart from Seattle on what should be a very nice day.

LOVE-It-heart-Button.jpg.4b3668266473e301ca741ff56715ac3d.jpg

One for each Paragraph!!!

Joanie

LOVE-It-Button.jpg.b4edb02133fb98711379ed556507db67.jpg

Like-Button.png.f4cd9d730290142d5ff36614afe4dc20.png

I

......we can't even get 15 people to agree on something! much less almost 3000

Maybe we should try something simpler, like trying to get five people to agree to have bacon and eggs for breakfast. :D (It is harder than you think.)

I was disappointed when we missed Sitka last September on the Westerdam (weather). One thing that happened as a result of missing Sitka was that we got a MUCH longer time in Victoria...we were there all day instead of arriving at 6:00 p.m. I hope that might be a possibility for this cruise as well. We really enjoyed our time there, whereas with the original itinerary we didn't have anything planned.

I would be curious as to why skip Sitka over Juneau, which I believe is further. Do they feel it would be too many sea days in a row with Glacier Bay? Or do they pick up needed stuff in Juneau?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$

Dock vs. Tender

Sell More Shore Excursions

$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$

Dock vs. Tender

Sell More Shore Excursions

Interesting. Though if other ships are already scheduled in that day, wouldn't the excursions be sold already? Seems more likely this way that people have a strong possibility of missing TWO excursions (at least...assuming they only had one for Juneau). In a case like this, would the refunds go to the method of payment or ship credit?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums