Equilibrium problem after cruise

kerrianno

Help! My first cruise ended 5 days ago, and I still feel like I'm on the ship. Everything is swaying back and forth! I feel like I can't walk straight! Anyone experience this? What can I do to make it stop? PS...the cruise (Alaska, Seven Seas Navigator) was fantastic!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Help! My first cruise ended 5 days ago, and I still feel like I'm on the ship. Everything is swaying back and forth! I feel like I can't walk straight! Anyone experience this? What can I do to make it stop? PS...the cruise (Alaska, Seven Seas Navigator) was fantastic!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Many people suffer from this. It's called mal debarquement syndrome, sort of a reverse sea sickness, as your inner ear is readjusting to being on solid ground.

Time is typically the best "cure". Some people only get a bit of the swaying for a day or two, others can still "feel" the ground moving for months.

I've read that, for some, the typical sea sickness remedies (Dramamine, Bonine, etc) can be helpful.

Here's an article about it:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/39348.php

Edited by Shmoo here

It's just your body readjusting to be back on land. It's nothing to be concerned with unless the symptoms continue for a prolonged period of time. Just stick to your normal daily routine and everything should clear up within a week usually.

I've had it just once out of about 9 or 10 cruises, and it lasted about a month. For me it was worse in some situations - take note, it may be the same for you, and maybe you can avoid situations where it's worse. My worst experience was that I had a floor to ceiling window right next to my desk, on the 4th floor of our building. Had to keep the blinds closed for the entire month!

I get it once in a while after a cruise. I usually can feel in confined spaces-like the shower. I was advised to take Bonine for a few days until the inner ear settles down.

I have experienced this but I am not prone to seasickness and would not take medication for it. I don't see it as a reverse seasickness at all, just a minor sense of movement. I have seen people suffering from seasickness who are fine after going on solid ground.

Only time I had anything like that was after a very rough 26 he storm where more people were seasick than not. I was fine on board but when we finally docked I was staggering for several hours.. sea legs??? Only happened the one time

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

I've taken two Alaska cruises and had this vertigo-like problem after one of them. It was surprising. I had no problems with sea-sickness, but then found myself land-sick. I forget how I treated it, but remember that it went away in a few days.

Vicki

I used to get this on my previous cruises, it would last about two weeks. I would feel it most in the shower for some reason. On my most recent cruise I took seasickness medication on the last day of the cruise and for a few days after getting back on land. That seemed to work.

The funny thing is I was fine on the ship.

I suffer from it after every cruise. Usually a day or two and then it is gone. Our last cruise was also Alaska and it was the worst after. I blame it on the long flight home and the fact that it was the re-eye and I was so over tired by the time we got home. It took four or five days for it to finally settle down.

Not to sound gross, but I only get it sitting on the toilet for a few days. Sounds strange but I bet I'm not the only one (0:

I do not think it gross, just observational. I had the false motion feeling mostly on the toilet but sometimes other places too.

I actually hope to find out if I take a 90 day cruise if this effect lasts longer. It is not so much that I want the funny off-balance feeling as I want the 90 day cruise. :-)

I do not think it gross, just observational. I had the false motion feeling mostly on the toilet but sometimes other places too.

I actually hope to find out if I take a 90 day cruise if this effect lasts longer. It is not so much that I want the funny off-balance feeling as I want the 90 day cruise. :-)

Generally, I have the swaying for less than a week following every cruise I've been on (regardless of length). However, the worst (longest) time I had it was about a month, following our first 7 night Alaska cruise. We've cruised 4 nights to 24 nights and it basically hits me the same.

And I notice it the worst when in the shower.

Edited by Shmoo here

On my first couple of cruises I got it and for a couple days or so; really strange, but then never again, even dozens of cruises over the years, and even after a few very severe "rock 'n roll" trans Atlantics on Cunard too. I guess it is a newbie thing, and eventually your brain figures it out? :confused:

Hmm. My theory is that it hits when being still in an enclosed space.