Live from the Emerald Princess - Baltic Heritage June 28-July12

Kinkacruiser

[quote name='JoJoA']Thanks for the information! Is Horizon Court the only place you can get complementary tea or a basic coffee? Also regarding complimentary drinks in general is orange juice only available free of charge at breakfast or can you get it throughout the day?[/QUOTE]I don't want to take over Anna's Live thread. You can also get complementary coffee (from concentrated syrup), iced tea (from concentrated syrup) and hot tea (with an assortment of Lipton, Bigelow and Twinings tea bags in any dining room. Orange and many other juice only available complementary during breakfast hours. Lemonade available in the HC during lunch and later.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are following you Anna on September 2 to the Baltic's on the Royal, so it was great to hear you enjoyed SPB Tours as we have booked them for every port. We are in our van in Mulumbin just up the road from where you guys live in Kinka Beach and I can let you know you are missing some very cold nights at home.

[quote name='Kinkacruiser']Before I tell you about Helsinki and our first day in SBP, I need to revise my nationality breakdown. Those original percentages were from our CC roll call, but in fact we have about 300 Aussies, 700 Americans and the balance of passengers are from the UK and Europe. The ship seems crowded, with just a tad over 3000 pax. You notice it when waiting for the elevators at mealtimes and on port days. Many times it's faster to use the stairs.

So the most popular tea is English Breakfast and Peter - there is night life after 11 pm (not that I've seen it).

[B]Helsinki [/B]was so-so, with the highlight of the attractions being the Rock church. There were lots of dogs being walked in the parks, so some of us became homesick for our pets. Today's tour was 3 hours and the weather was great.
[B]SPB [/B]- what can I say....simply GRAND and amazing :):). Perhaps a little too much time was spent in the Hermitage looking at paintings, plus we had to wrestle with all of Europe again. We started the day with a subway ride which was astonishing. Too many great sights and experiences to mention here but our private guide was simply outstanding.
Immigration was a breeze. Our group assembled at Vines at 6.30 am and were were off the ship and waiting for our guide and bus at 6.50am. No need to go to the dining room on deck 6 as instructed, as our large group was whizzed though quickly. Tonight many went to the ballet in the city and there is also a folkloric show in the Princess theatre. An early night here as we meet again in the morning for a hydrofoil and canal ride to Peterhof Palace as well as other attractions. I hope there won't be too many more churches;) but I'm looking forward to more amazing sights and experiences.

Talk again soon....
Anna[/QUOTE]

[I][SIZE="4"]Thank you for the report on SPB. We haven't been there since 1999, but I still have many fond memories. Look forward to your additional postings.....:):):)

Bob[/SIZE][/I]

[B]After Day 2 St Peterburg [/B]- Wow, double wow.:D Today was Peterhof (gardens and fountains only) and that was absolutely amazing. I couldn't stop clicking the camera button. After the SPB Russian lunch, it was Catherine's Palace and the amber room there...wow again. It's continually being restored after severe bombings. If you love the history of the time, this will delight.
The guides are so knowledgeable. Before the two attractions there was a canal boat ride and we had a 30 min larger boat ride to Peterhof, though it was not a hydrofoil as described in the itinerary. Travelling in the countryside a little more today one was able to see the remains of their planned economy and the difficulties the country still faces.

Incidentally, the port terminal is only a few years old and very well organised.

Lanwood - yes amazing.
Liz - Lovely to hear from you in Mulambin (lots of new homes near the park there now! What a shame we're not home. You won't be disappointed with your choice of tour guides or SPB.:)
Wallycat - yes SPB. Alla, Denrus and TJ are also here and obvious in these Baltic ports.
Litttlesteelo -see you i a few days

Some more walking today but at least downhill (Tallinn) Looking to see some reasonably priced goods.

One of the 3 formal was cancelled (not sure why) We expect another on the 2nd last night.

Talk more tomorrow.
Anna

[quote name='Kinkacruiser'][B]After Day 2 St Peterburg [/B]- Wow, double wow.:D Today was Peterhof (gardens and fountains only) and that was absolutely amazing. I couldn't stop clicking the camera button. After the SPB Russian lunch, it was Catherine's Palace and the amber room there...wow again. It's continually being restored after severe bombings. If you love the history of the time, this will delight.
The guides are so knowledgeable. Before the two attractions there was a canal boat ride and we had a 30 min larger boat ride to Peterhof, though it was not a hydrofoil as described in the itinerary. Travelling in the countryside a little more today one was able to see the remains of their planned economy and the difficulties the country still faces.

Incidentally, the port terminal is only a few years old and very well organised.

Lanwood - yes amazing.
Liz - Lovely to hear from you in Mulambin (lots of new homes near the park there now! What a shame we're not home. You won't be disappointed with your choice of tour guides or SPB.:)
Wallycat - yes SPB. Alla, Denrus and TJ are also here and obvious in these Baltic ports.
Litttlesteelo -see you i a few days

Some more walking today but at least downhill (Tallinn) Looking to see some reasonably priced goods.

One of the 3 formal was cancelled (not sure why) We expect another on the 2nd last night.

Talk more tomorrow.
Anna[/QUOTE]

[I][SIZE="4"]Sounds like a great second day in SPB. Thanks for reporting.....:):):)

Bob
[/SIZE][/I]

[quote name='Kinkacruiser'] The HoHo buses are lined up as one disembarks (captive audience) cost is 250 NOK pp. We are berthed at the Fortress.
Weather is chilly.

Anna[/quote]

I just Googled the exchange rate and 250 NOK = $40.58 USD. Seems a bit on the spendy side for a HOHO bus!

edit: Hmmm... My wife reminded me that the price in Vancouver didn't seem to be all that much less so I guess I'm all wet. Not really much of a surprise there! Edited by Thrak

Thanks for your posts about St Petersberg, Kinka. We visited it a few years ago on a cruise and it is an awesome city (though the port is dismal). I am looking forward to returning for another visit in the future.

Hi Anna

Thanks indeed for the updates. From the webcam view the weather seems to be still looking good and the sea calm.

Glad for you that the Noro' from the last cruise has been eradicated.

Any news of why the formal was cancelled? I'm wondering if they might do the same on ours next time around. The wife wont be happy if they do!

Continue to have a great time.

Peter

No idea why the 2nd formal was cancelled, Peter. No. 3 is scheduled for Thursday night, which should also be the Captain's Circle cocktail party (oh joy!)

Day after [B]Tallinn[/B] - so easy to fall i love with the city. I'd even rank it higher than Brugge in interest (lots of medieval charm). Best to take a tour that will take you to the top of the old town, where our charming SPB guide pointed out all the highlights (at least 20 of them). Saw lots of people making their way up the hill (bad idea) Being an enclosed town it was quite humid by 11:00 when the tour ended.Cobbled streets so I'd suggest you wear joggers or flat shoes. There's a souvenir shop on every corner and lots of sidewalk restaurants. Dockside stalls/shop are also very good for craft and woolen goods, though the first shop you see coming from the ship is the most expensive.
There are HoHo buses here as well and taxis.

No Noro so the next cruise should see a fast embarkation. Catch you after Gdansk, our final port.

Anna

[quote name='Kinkacruiser']No idea why the 2nd formal was cancelled, Peter. No. 3 is scheduled for Thursday night, which should also be the Captain's Circle cocktail party (oh joy!)

Day after [B]Tallinn[/B] - so easy to fall i love with the city. I'd even rank it higher than Brugge in interest (lots of medieval charm). Best to take a tour that will take you to the top of the old town, where our charming SPB guide pointed out all the highlights (at least 20 of them). Saw lots of people making their way up the hill (bad idea) Being an enclosed town it was quite humid by 11:00 when the tour ended.Cobbled streets so I'd suggest you wear joggers or flat shoes. There's a souvenir shop on every corner and lots of sidewalk restaurants. Dockside stalls/shop are also very good for craft and woolen goods, though the first shop you see coming from the ship is the most expensive.
There are HoHo buses here as well and taxis.

No Noro so the next cruise should see a fast embarkation. Catch you after Gdansk, our final port.

Anna[/QUOTE]

[I][SIZE="4"]Thanks for checking in from Tallinn. Beautiful city Very and I agree with your comment about the "medieval charm".....:):):)

Bob[/SIZE][/I] Edited by Woobstr112G

[quote name='Kinkacruiser'][B]After Day 2 St Peterburg [/B]- Catherine's Palace and the amber room there...wow again. It's continually being restored after severe bombings. If you love the history of the time, this will delight.[/quote]

On the wall on the way out are some pictures of how the palace looked after it received a pounding during WW2, and striped of everything of value. I took a photo of one of the pictures showing the view from the stateroom door at one end of the palace to the stateroom doors at the other end (showing the hundreds of doors in-between), and took a photo in the exact same spot of how it looks today. It's amazing when comparing the two images of what they brought back from such devastation.....

Day after [B]Gdansk[/B] - It was a shorter day in Gydnia (port for Gdansk) debarking promptly at 10:00 am with a scheduled departure of 6:00 pm. A medical evacuation delayed this to 7:00 pm, though the Captain announced it would not delay arrival in Southampton.
Our group of 8 (private tour) enjoyed the day with Klaudia very much. She took us to Sopot, the beachside resort, Oliwa cathedral (where an organ concert in the cathedral was given at noon) and after that we headed to the old city. Gdansk was heavily bombed during WW2 and was restored to its original appearance over the years. It has a charming medieval appearance and reminded me of Copenhagen or Brugge. Stalls of amber jewellery lined every tourist street, where sloty were preferred . I'm not sure if the larger stores would have accepted Euro (which I had taken) as we never had an opportunity to visit them. Lunch at U Dzieki was absolutely magic - an authentic 2 course Polish cuisine (soup served in bread, pierogi and Polish sausage) with beer for 15 Euro. Klaudia had photos of several 'before and after' scenes of Gdansk on her notebook, which she showed us. It's a shame Gdansk will not be on the Princess itinerary next year...nor is Oslo for that matter.

In two days and we'll dock in Southampton. I hope you've enjoyed/gained some background and tips from this live. It's been a great (albeit busy) cruise - so glad we have a slower-paced Mediterranean cruise to follow ;)

Cheers,
Anna

[quote name='Kinkacruiser']
In two days and we'll dock in Southampton. I hope you've enjoyed/gained some background and tips from this live. It's been a great (albeit busy) cruise - so glad we have a slower-paced Mediterranean cruise to follow ;)

Cheers,
Anna[/QUOTE]

Hi Anna hope you enjoy / enjoyed your last 2 days of this leg.
I see you are booked to stay on her for the next cruise.
Will you be doing another live from?
I ask as that one is the same itinerary as the one we're booked on to in September.
If you are i'll be watching to see what you thoughts are of the ports we will be visiting ourselves in just over 9 weeks time...

as I said enjoy
Julia

[quote name='minikiss']Hi Anna hope you enjoy / enjoyed your last 2 days of this leg.
I see you are booked to stay on her for the next cruise.
Will you be doing another live from?
I ask as that one is the same itinerary as the one we're booked on to in September.
If you are i'll be watching to see what you thoughts are of the ports we will be visiting ourselves in just over 9 weeks time...

as I said enjoy
Julia[/QUOTE]

Hi Julia,
I'd be happy to share the port days with you and others doing the same cruise (Hi Arlene :) ) as there are just 7 this time - Barcelona, Adajaccio (Corsica) Civitavecchia (Rome), Livorno (Florence), Genoa, Monte Carlo and Gibraltar.
Yesterday was very busy on board with one of those crazy outlet sales in the MDR, as well as some surprised faces over their ship accounts, photo purchasing and of course then there was the last formal to prepare for. No doubt packing will be on the agenda today.

I forgot to mention that Klaudia gave each of us a farewell gift after the Tricity Tour - a bottle of Polish beer for the men and a red rose for the ladies. What a lovely touch to the day!

See you after the Barcelona day.
Anna

[quote name='Kinkacruiser']Before I tell you about Helsinki and our first day in SBP, I need to revise my nationality breakdown. Those original percentages were from our CC roll call, but in fact we have about 300 Aussies, 700 Americans and the balance of passengers are from the UK and Europe. The ship seems crowded, with just a tad over 3000 pax. You notice it when waiting for the elevators at mealtimes and on port days. Many times it's faster to use the stairs.

So the most popular tea is English Breakfast and Peter - there is night life after 11 pm (not that I've seen it).

[B]Helsinki [/B]was so-so, with the highlight of the attractions being the Rock church. There were lots of dogs being walked in the parks, so some of us became homesick for our pets. Today's tour was 3 hours and the weather was great.
[B]SPB [/B]- what can I say....simply GRAND and amazing :):). Perhaps a little too much time was spent in the Hermitage looking at paintings, plus we had to wrestle with all of Europe again. We started the day with a subway ride which was astonishing. Too many great sights and experiences to mention here but our private guide was simply outstanding.
Immigration was a breeze. Our group assembled at Vines at 6.30 am and were were off the ship and waiting for our guide and bus at 6.50am. No need to go to the dining room on deck 6 as instructed, as our large group was whizzed though quickly. Tonight many went to the ballet in the city and there is also a folkloric show in the Princess theatre. An early night here as we meet again in the morning for a hydrofoil and canal ride to Peterhof Palace as well as other attractions. I hope there won't be too many more churches;) but I'm looking forward to more amazing sights and experiences.

Talk again soon....
Anna[/QUOTE]

Anna,
Thanks for your interesting posts. When you were in St Petersburg, you mentioned getting off the ship as a group. Were you on a Princess tour or a private tour? If a private tour, how did you arrange this?
Thanks very much.
nisky