Younger passenger ships/lines for Alaska

MillbrookMom

I've been reading through a lot of reviews and one thing I keep noticing is that a lot of ships/lines have a greater number of elderly people and thus activities, entertainment etc are geared towards them.

I'm just wondering if there are recommendations for people in their late 30's early 40's. Where more people would be in that age range?

We are in our early 40s, and are booked on Carnival for Alaska. Have only sailed them and only the Caribbean so far. Really hoping it's not that much different this time. But wondering if there will still be all that "tropical" party music playing on the Lido lol. This will be quite a difference for us!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forums mobile app

You will find that the demographics are largely the same on all lines in Alaska. Lots of elderly, large multi-generational family groups, plenty of kids. I have cruised to Alaska on both Carnival and Princess, and the atmosphere was the same. No, you aren't going to find tropical music playing on deck or a party atmosphere. Choose your cruise based on itinerary, not on-board entertainment.

I've been reading through a lot of reviews and one thing I keep noticing is that a lot of ships/lines have a greater number of elderly people and thus activities, entertainment etc are geared towards them.

I'm just wondering if there are recommendations for people in their late 30's early 40's. Where more people would be in that age range?

You can get as active or sedate as you wish in Alaska. Our preference is for smaller, expedition type ships. They will tend to be higher priced (sometimes substantially higher) than mainstream sailings.

What do you want to see and do? What is your budget? Do you want to do a land tour in addition to a cruise? RT or one way? How much time do you have? When do you want to go? Lots of questions to start answering before you can begin to focus on the right cruise line and the right cruise or cruise tour.

We are in our early 40s, and are booked on Carnival for Alaska. Have only sailed them and only the Caribbean so far. Really hoping it's not that much different this time. But wondering if there will still be all that "tropical" party music playing on the Lido lol. This will be quite a difference for us!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forums mobile app

Sorry, but you are making the wrong assumption. There is NO comparison sailing Carnival in the Caribbean vs Alaska. Demographics are the SAME on all the lines including Carnival. Middle age and above is the bulk, with ALL ages sailing. NO "tropical parties" or pool activities. Activities were mostly trivia. I sailed the Miracle for 3 weeks in May.

For some the activities of an Alaska cruise ship are outside the ship. Otherwise, the Caribbean is a lot cheaper. :)

I instead choose Alaska cruises for where they take me. Meals, transportation and lodging is all I want. :) The itinerary is my priority. I couldn't care less, who else is on the ship, they aren't in my cabin. :) :) :)

We sailed Carnival Spirit the year before last. It was a blast. Hadn't partied so hard since college. Had not idea we would have so much fun. Sailing Princess next month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in my 30s so here is my opinion. For a nice mix of itinerary and a ship with better activities, I recommend Radiance of the Seas.

Ref Carnival. I agree there is no comparison between Caribbean and Alaska cruises but unfortunately, the ship does not change. The Farcus designed Carnival Miracle is just as ugly in Alaska as it is in the Caribbean.

My husband and I are in the mid-30s-early-40s range, and we prefer Celebrity and Princess (Celebrity being the first choice, and we are still getting a feel for Princess). We're doing an Alaska cruisetour later this year on the Island Princess, and basically we expect very good food and excellent service; and we *hope* for good evening shows and other entertainment.

I'm sure you get more a party crowd in the Caribbean, regardless of the cruise line - we sailed the Caribbean once, couldn't stand it, so highly unlikely to do it again any time soon. Alaska attracts a very wide range of crowds, and obviously you'll get more families with kids during school breaks. Also, traditionally the cruising crowd is older, simply to the nature of budgeting money and days off work for long vacations.

I took my first Alaska cruise when I was 38, my second at 39, and now my 3rd at 41. I guess I really like Alaska now!

Anyway, all 3 are on Princess. I've never cruised Princess on any other itinerary so I can't compare to what their feel is like in the Caribbean. I can say I have thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere on Princess in Alaska. Yes, there are older people, but I found quite a few in their 30's and 40's as well. On that same note, I haven't cruised any other line to Alaska. Based on the people we see on independent tours and in port though, I would say the demographics are the same on all lines in Alaska. Many book for the itinerary and price vs. the ship itself.

We are definitely not those that shy away from the party atmosphere. I'm a former bar owner of 3 different night clubs. My boyfriend plays in a band at local bars 3 nights a week, etc. I found we were able to easily find others our age that stayed up late at night. Not crowded, not the same as a Caribbean cruise and exactly the polar opposite of a 3 night Bahamas in those terms. But, a perfect mix of relaxation and fun.

My son and wife are mid 30s and they chose RCL because of the itinerary and children program. Their friends they found out took the same Alaska cruise with their little one last summer. Younger families pick Royal C because of the extensive children program. Carnival is a party line no mater where you go, or a cheap alternative for budget conscious older folks.

My son and wife are mid 30s and they chose RCL because of the itinerary and children program. Their friends they found out took the same Alaska cruise with their little one last summer. Younger families pick Royal C because of the extensive children program. Carnival is a party line no mater where you go, or a cheap alternative for budget conscious older folks.

This is NOT true. My first cruise to Alaska was on Carnival and it was not a party ship by any stretch of the imagination.

Really????? Sorry, you are wrong. I HAVE cruised multiple times on all the major cruise lines in Alaska, except for Disney. Have you? I have sailed Carnival in Alaska 6 times, with 3 weeks this year in May. It is NOT a party ship and if you read some trip reports this would be confirmed.

And by no means is Carnival the "cheap alternative" if you are referring to price. In fact with only one ship, I do not see any low rates like I see on the other lines. ALL the lines have childrens programs that kids seem to enjoy. RCI is not the only choice here.

There was a wide age span on our HAL Westerdam trip to Alaska last week. There was a nice range of activities including polar plunge, cooking demonstrations, ship galley and back stage tours, game shows...we had a lot of fun.

I've heard of really good things about Radiance of the Seas (Royal Caribbean). They seem to have a good blend between family time and fun for the 30 & 40 somethings. I think you'll find what you're looking for on their ships. We're looking forward to sailing her next year.

That said I don't think anyone here should have to measure their cruising credentials in Alaska against another poster's just because they didn't have the same ship board experience. Maybe they simply never make it out to the evening hotspots despite how many times they've cruised. Or maybe they closed out the club every night, cause they simply love to dance no matter how many people join them. Everyone's experience & needs on a cruise are bound to be different, which is exactly why there are so many different lines & different ships.

OP, I hope you find a cruise that suits your needs. :)

Here's another recommendation for Radiance of the Seas. Next, I recommend any of the larger Princess ships or the Celebrity Solstice. All these ships are nice and have a lot of fun things to do.

Avoid HAL for lack of activities and avoid Carnival and NCL because you get what you pay for. Don't let anyone tell you CCL or NCL is different in Alaska. It's not. CCL has awful entertainment, they blast that damn pool tv screen all day and night and frankly, Miracle has the worst itinerary.

JMHO

We just came off a week on the Miracle , and it was a total mix of people , young and old ,many , many multi-generational families. It definitely was not the same " party " atmosphere you have on the Caribbean sailings , but I thought there was plenty to do for all ages every day. There was a good mix of nature talks , bingo , trivia , art auctions , productions shows ,karaoke , etc. etc. There were definitely more daily activities then when we sailed Princess on our first AK cruise.

Here's another recommendation for Radiance of the Seas. Next, I recommend any of the larger Princess ships or the Celebrity Solstice. All these ships are nice and have a lot of fun things to do.

Avoid HAL for lack of activities and avoid Carnival and NCL because you get what you pay for. Don't let anyone tell you CCL or NCL is different in Alaska. It's not. CCL has awful entertainment, they blast that damn pool tv screen all day and night and frankly, Miracle has the worst itinerary.

JMHO

I'll agree with one thing you said -- the Radiance is a nice choice for Alaska. BUT your opinion about NCL is just your opinion. I have another opinion. I've cruised on the Radiance and three Princess ships, but we always go back to NCL. There is more, and better, entertainment, more restaurant choices and the best crews we have ever encountered on any other line, Alaska or not.