Bigger is not Better - NCL Breakaway disappointed

emtthomas

Let me start with our cruise on the Jewel was perfect, which is why we chose NCL again for our sons Graduation Gift/Trip.

Bigger is not better..... Dining services we far below acceptable, it took 3 hours for 4 of us to eat each night, there was never an assistant waiter, had to ask for water refills, never was offered a chefs recommendation, and rarely did the server even provide their name.

Shows .... Since when do they charge to attend shows?

Ship ..... Beautiful, clean well kept

Stateroom.... Awesome

Guest Service..... Below average

Training and Staff Knowledge .... unacceptable, my bother wanted to purchase the Caps and Corks, he was told every person in his stateroom over 21 would have to purchase that package or better, he provided them with a letter from my sister in laws doctor which stated she is 20 weeks pregnant (and she is showing) , they would not accept the letter as a waiver.

Shows .... Since when do they charge to attend shows?

besides the cirque show which is a dinner and a show, which show was not free? Rock of ages, Burn the Floor, Second City, Howl at the Moon, Fat Cats, various music around the ship are all free. Yes, you do have to make a reservation since the lounge is small, but it is still free and cost nothing. Yes this is for the breakaway, but still almost all shows at night are free

Which show was not free besides the cirque?

edit: On your final bill, you might of seen a charge that say something like Entertainment. did you look closer at the price and see it is $0.00 aka noting?

Edited by shof515

I can't remember off the top of my head what other show, I'll look for my Dailies, if you look at the dailies more than 50% of the activities there are additional charges for, which is a far contrast of cruising 5 years ago.

Training and Staff Knowledge .... unacceptable, .

Really? My daughter has a gluten allergy and the staff would sometimes question her order (after they went to retrieve it) and inform her about the potential cross-contamination of her order and being cooked on the same grill with items that contained flour and/or wheat. I found the staff to be highly knowledgeable and helpful. We've eaten at many high-end NYC restaurants, and their staffs are nowhere as educated about food allergies as the NCL staff was. Even at a recent dinner at the CIA in Hyde Park, while the senior wait staff knew of the allergy, these "high-end" future chefs were clueless.

How did you approach the staff? Not to be assume or accuse, but sugar goes a lot further than vinegar. You commented that no one gave their name. Did you ask? I always ask first and introduce ourselves.

Let me start with our cruise on the Jewel was perfect, which is why we chose NCL again for our sons Graduation Gift/Trip.

Bigger is not better..... Dining services we far below acceptable, it took 3 hours for 4 of us to eat each night, there was never an assistant waiter, had to ask for water refills, never was offered a chefs recommendation, and rarely did the server even provide their name.

Training and Staff Knowledge .... unacceptable, my bother wanted to purchase the Caps and Corks, he was told every person in his stateroom over 21 would have to purchase that package or better, he provided them with a letter from my sister in laws doctor which stated she is 20 weeks pregnant (and she is showing) , they would not accept the letter as a waiver.

Welcome home. I'm confused. You say the staffs training and knowledge is unacceptable. Yet they explained the "terms and conditions" of the Caps and Corks program exactly as spelled out on company website as directed by corporate office.

So glad they were knowledge about the dietary needs of your daughter, as some who is in the medical field I can't stress how important that is, kudos and I applaud them.

The food was good, great, awesome, service was slow. I personally don't think they have enough staff for the number of dining options.

I also believe when cruising started the daily service charges, the service in food and beverage dropped.

I realize they read the terms and conditions of the corks and caps, but are you telling me NCL is going to force my sister in law at 20 weeks pregnant, with documentation and showing to purchase a corks and caps? Spoke to the food and beverage manager as well about the concern - no dice....

I can't remember off the top of my head what other show, I'll look for my Dailies, if you look at the dailies more than 50% of the activities there are additional charges for, which is a far contrast of cruising 5 years ago.

First it was shows, now it is activities.

I still call BS on the "more than 50%" of the activities.

You really need to bring proof. Just scan the Daily.

I realize they read the terms and conditions of the corks and caps, but are you telling me NCL is going to force my sister in law at 20 weeks pregnant, with documentation and showing to purchase a corks and caps? Spoke to the food and beverage manager as well about the concern - no dice....

No....NCL doesn't force anyone to purchase the program. She only has to purchase it if...AND ONLY IF...you brother decides to purchase it. It is up to him, not NCL. Knowing that the program is for everyone in the cabin, perhaps your brother could simply pass on the purchase.

I'm sorry you had issues. It sucks to plan so long and be excited about a vacation and have it be less than expected. I hope your next one is better. We had excellent service on the Getaway, so maybe it's not a big ship issue, but something else. Management? Who knows. Sorry, though.

The daytime Wine Lovers show has a charge.

Why do people get so defensive and upset when people don't like what they like? OP didn't like the Breakaway and it was her perception that too many shows/ activities had a price tag attached to them. You can comb the dailies and provide proof that only 40% have a fee. So what? Doesn't change how it felt to OP.

First it was shows, now it is activities.

I still call BS on the "more than 50%" of the activities.

You really need to bring proof. Just scan the Daily.

Here are the latest dailies: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2063875

Everything with a single asterisk (not double) has an additional charge. I can understand seeing double asterisks and thinking they're upcharge items, too, but they're not. Here's what I can see is a surcharge for the first couple days:

Cirque show

Behind the scenes tour

Nickelodeon pajama jam

Specialty restaurants

Noodle bar

Raw bar

Sushi bar

Carlos Bake Shop

Dolce Gelato

ice cream bar

ebook rentals

Flywheel indoor cycling

TRX Suspension Training

Body Sculpt Boot Camp

Wine (and other alcoholic beverage) tasting

Norwegian fight club

Family Cupcake decorating class

Wine lovers: the musical

Teen and kids spa pamper party

Let's not count stuff like Lottery/Bingo/Deal or No Deal/etc. I could have sworn there was a Second City show that had to be paid for. Maybe I'm thinking of my cruise 2 years ago.

I can't believe they're charging for a cupcake class and a tour. I'm more surprised that they charge for the gym activities, but whatever.

Most of what you listed involves specialty foods....which costs extra. I wouldn't consider a noodle bar an activity. But whatever, the point is you didn't enjoy the breakaway and that's your right to feel that way.

I'm more surprised that they charge for the gym activities, but whatever.

I was on the Carnival Liberty last year and gym activities like Spin class etc. had a charge. I've only cruised with Carnival, wasn't sure if this was the norm.

If there is one big bonus with Royal, it is that not everyone in the cabin needs to buy a drink package. While the packages are a good deal for me, my wife can't quite make it work. I'm getting them for free on my upcoming Getaway cruise, otherwise I would have passed.

I'm anxious to try Getaway as I've sailed the Royal Oasis class ships and I want to see how they compare in terms of crowd control.

As to activities, yeah the neater ones tend to cost $ on both Royal and NCL. Not sure how surprising this is as it keeps fares lower for those that don't do anything other than drink, eat, attend shows, and sit on the pool deck (a group I happen to belong to).

With the Haven, NCL goes farther Royal in creating an upscale experience on what is essentially a mass market ship. NCL goes a bit further with the Haven courtyards, but Royal seems to command higher prices (compared to the Haven) for their premium suites (meaning anything higher than a Grand Suite) on Oasis class boats. Either way, these cabins cost 5x-10x more than the cheapest cabins on the ship.

My point being (sorry for rambling on) is that what some call nickle and diming is just a way to keep the cheap cabins cheap. It isn't going to change because if they rolled everything into the base fare (specialty restaurants, gratuities, pay activities, etc) it would price a lot of people out. Don't expect the current model to change for mass market lines, although kudos to NCL for offering both UDP and UBP for those that prefer set prices for drinks and food.

Edited by JasonV1

Of course, everyone has an opinion and it is all subjective. I do agree with the OP on several issues re the BA--it just wasn't for us. We chose to sail on this ship and wanted to see what the "hype" was all about--now we know. We still enjoyed our cruise and were glad we went. The ship is lovely and there are many great, innovative features--but we found the service to be hit or miss in the dining rooms and encountered several of the staff members in the passenger service/shore excursion areas to be less than friendly and slightly disinterested. On the other hand, our cabin steward was fantastic.

Next time--we are back to one of the older "smaller" ships with less pax.

How true...to each his/her own!

I can't speak for the gym classes (I do most of my own gym work and don't remember if Royal charged for similar activities as you listed), but Royal charges for a lot of the same food items, including specialty restaurants, ice cream shop, cupcake classes, sushi/raw bar (although the buffet did have some sushi available). More pay-for on Royal includes the behind the scenes tour, kids spa/pamper party, and wine/alcohol tasting.

What do you think happens if all the specialty food was free? Given that it is often a higher quality than the free dining options, I would think that people would flock to it. Let alone what would happen if wine/alcohol tasting was open to all.

I get what you are saying, but this is just the state of mass market cruising today. If you want less nickle and diming you need to sail other lines and (in many cases) pay a higher base fare.

Here are the latest dailies: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2063875

Everything with a single asterisk (not double) has an additional charge. I can understand seeing double asterisks and thinking they're upcharge items, too, but they're not. Here's what I can see is a surcharge for the first couple days:

Cirque show

Behind the scenes tour

Nickelodeon pajama jam

Specialty restaurants

Noodle bar

Raw bar

Sushi bar

Carlos Bake Shop

Dolce Gelato

ice cream bar

ebook rentals

Flywheel indoor cycling

TRX Suspension Training

Body Sculpt Boot Camp

Wine (and other alcoholic beverage) tasting

Norwegian fight club

Family Cupcake decorating class

Wine lovers: the musical

Teen and kids spa pamper party

Let's not count stuff like Lottery/Bingo/Deal or No Deal/etc. I could have sworn there was a Second City show that had to be paid for. Maybe I'm thinking of my cruise 2 years ago.

I can't believe they're charging for a cupcake class and a tour. I'm more surprised that they charge for the gym activities, but whatever.

Edited by JasonV1

Most of what you listed involves specialty foods....which costs extra. I wouldn't consider a noodle bar an activity. But whatever, the point is you didn't enjoy the breakaway and that's your right to feel that way.

I didn't even cruise on it yet. I'm not the OP. I was just answering the questions. There's a lot of stuff and food that requires extra money. Whether that leads one to believe they're being nicked and dimed, that's another story.

I can't speak for the gym classes (I do most of my own gym work and don't remember if Royal charged for similar activities as you listed), but Royal charges for a lot of the same food items, including specialty restaurants, ice cream shop, cupcake classes, sushi/raw bar (although the buffet did have some sushi available). More pay-for on Royal includes the behind the scenes tour, kids spa/pamper party, and wine/alcohol tasting.

What do you think happens if all the specialty food was free? Given that it is often a higher quality than the free dining options, I would think that people would flock to it. Let alone what would happen if wine/alcohol tasting was open to all.

I get what you are saying, but this is just the state of mass market cruising today. If you want less nickle and diming you need to sail other lines and (in many cases) pay a higher base fare.

I agree about the specialty dining. The charge is good because it limits access to those things in a fair manner. As long as the regular dining options are good, it's perfectly fair. However, there are quite a bit of "upgrades" especially on the new ships. Vibe, Haven, specialty dining, Cirque, etc. You don't HAVE to pay for those things to have a good time, but it can give a negative impression.