Seeing whales for free?

deannad

We're sailing on the Amsterdam in a couple of weeks. We'll be stopping in Juneau, Ketchikan & Sitka. Juneau sounds like the best opportunity to see whales, but some of our party may prefer not to go on a whale-watching excursion due to the expense.

Any land-based vantage points to see whales? What about just seeing some from the ship? Is that common? I'd really like to see some whales!

We're sailing on the Amsterdam in a couple of weeks. We'll be stopping in Juneau, Ketchikan & Sitka. Juneau sounds like the best opportunity to see whales, but some of our party may prefer not to go on a whale-watching excursion due to the expense.

Any land-based vantage points to see whales? What about just seeing some from the ship? Is that common? I'd really like to see some whales!

It's certainly not uncommon but it varies with time of year. We were on an Alaska cruise in May of 2010. We actually went on a whale-watching boat trip out of Juneau and barely saw one tail that appeared above water for 2 seconds and wasn't seen again. Then a couple days later we were in Icy Strait Point. There wasn't much to do, just a long walking path along the bay to enjoy nature views. Lo and behold, the bay was FULL of whales, and seals, and who know what else :) We were walking up and down the path and watching wildlife for free for something like 3 hours straight. So yeah...definitely possible.

It's certainly not uncommon but it varies with time of year. We were on an Alaska cruise in May of 2010. We actually went on a whale-watching boat trip out of Juneau and barely saw one tail that appeared above water for 2 seconds and wasn't seen again. Then a couple days later we were in Icy Strait Point. There wasn't much to do, just a long walking path along the bay to enjoy nature views. Lo and behold, the bay was FULL of whales, and seals, and who know what else :) We were walking up and down the path and watching wildlife for free for something like 3 hours straight. So yeah...definitely possible.

That must have been amazing!

It is definitely hit or miss to see whales and other wildlife from the ship. Normally I spend hours watching from the bow of the ship with binoculars and see some good wildlife activity, but it is almost always in the distance and relatively brief. But I spend much of the time that the ship is moving except for sleeping of course being out and about. Most people are drinking, dancing, watching the shows, etc.

It takes a lot of commitment and investment of time to see wildlife from the ship "for free."

I've done a Seattle round trip and a northbound and on each saw dozens of whales from the ship. I believe it is more a matter of diligence/priority than luck. Granted, I'm seldom without binoculars when out and about. FWIW, I've also seen whales while cruising the east coast, Bahamas and off the Baja of California.

we take our binoculars and spend a couple of hours on the balcony. Between Juneau and Ketchikan, we have spotted many whales. I am glad that we didn't take the whale watching trip this time and saved $400 for the entire family

There are several places that are feeding areas where you are more likely to see whales form the ship. If there is a naturalist onboard they should be able to tell you the approximate times that you will be traveling through those areas. A consistent message is that you need to spend a lot of time on deck. Also, in Juneau, there are occasional whale sightings from shore near the Shrine of St. Therese and also Eagle Beach just north of there. This would require transportation out that way such as a rental car.

Not everyone needs to do the same excursions. It would be a shame not to do a whale watch tour, if you wanted to do one, just because someone else in the group doesn’t.

There are several places that are feeding areas where you are more likely to see whales form the ship. If there is a naturalist onboard they should be able to tell you the approximate times that you will be traveling through those areas.
Good advice!

If you are traveling through Snow Pass north of Ketchikan, they will tell you there is a good chance of seeing whales there.

But ever there it can be hit or miss as we have had great views of whales bubble net feeding there close to the ship, and we have gone through at other times without seeing any whales there at all.

I also agree about Icy Strait Point as we have seen more whales close to the cruise ship and in the bay close to the shore at Icy Strait Point than at any of the other Alaska ports.

But they are not always there, so you can't count on it as a sure thing.

If you are eating dinner in the dining room and suddenly everyone jumps up and goes rushing over to the windows and out the doors, then you know... :D

If you pay to take a whale watching excursion at Icy Strait Point, you will definitely see them because they take you out to Pt. Adolphus, a feeding area for humpbacks.

But sometimes the views from the cruise ship or along the shoreline there are just as good or better than the views from the paid excursion boat, while other times, not.

Nothing beats stepping out on your balcony and seeing a humpback or two right below you. :)

Nothing makes you feel as foolish as stepping out on your balcony and seeing a humpback or two right below you when you have just returned from an excursion where you paid several hundred dollars to go out on a small boat to see them further away.

Oh well, it is always a treat to see them, whenever and wherever. ;)

Edited by fleckle

I am very successful at seeing whales from a cruise ship. BUT you will also always see me on whale watch tours. This is my priority. My next trip is coming up. A LOT of money is being spent on wildlife "tours", which is my largest expense, overall.

Wildlife spotting from a cruise ship, does take a lot of time. I have nothing else to do, so it works out wonderful for me. ;) I also know areas which is a big factor. It depends, how you wish to occupy your time. Overall, few people spend any time out on decks. I am frequently out alone. What I see, is people coming out one door, taking a "look" for a few minutes, then going back inside. :)

The only sure way to see wildlife, is to spend your time in the right areas. The more available you are, the more you will see. This is especially true for tours. The more you go out, the more you will see.

Or take the 95 minute bc ferry between Vancouver and Victoria and the crew announces when whales are spotted. I always expect the ferry to tilt with so many rushing to one side to catch the view !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums