Upgrades

Shaf143

On RCCL, Carnival and HAL about 60 days out from the cruise date I started to get upgrade offers from my booked mini-suite to a suite. MY cruise date is Aug 30. Will I be seeing them from Princess?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe yes, maybe no...

No way to tell. If you're lucky, you may receive an upsells offer for $199 per person to upgrade depending on availability.

But I wouldn't count on it. Upgrades and even upsells are getting fewer...

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

Almost always, Princess will have a "Flash" sale for new bookings only to fill the ship. If you're already booked, you're not eligible unless you cancel and if you're after final payment, take the penalty and re-book.

You can always upgrade yourself but you'll pay the difference between what you paid and the current fare for that cabin.

Unlike RCCL, Princess allows TAs to discount cruise fares so you can usually save 10-20% although at this late date, you're after final payment so that wouldn't work. In the future, find a good TA so you can pay a much lower rate to start with.

I would anticipate very few upgrades in the future due to the fact that so many are accepting the upsell offers. Hey............ if you're willing to pay for it, why give it to you free?

I was thinking the same thing. There are many people posting about upsell offers so that has to limit the amount of upgrades as long as people are willing to pay for an upsell. It sure would be something I would consider for the right cruise and price.

I've never been offered an upsell either.

some of the offers mentioned on these boards would suit me fine!

I tend to book cruises where the better cabins sell out without the extra push it seems.

We've never been offered an upsell either. It may be because we generally book after the final payment date. A lot of the time, we book guarantees. We have received slight upgrades--higher category in the same class of cabin--a lot of times. We've received true upgrades three times--from obstructed view guarantee to ocean view and deluxe ocean view.

how long before the cruise did you hear about the upgrade. We are on a guarantee oceanview obstructed sailing in about 12 days and still no cabin assignment. Never done a guarantee before and it has been a few year since we last sailed on Princess.

Edited by hr80126

how long before the cruise did you hear about the upgrade. We are on a guarantee oceanview obstructed sailing in about 12 days and still no cabin assignment. Never done a guarantee before and it has been a few year since we last sailed on Princess.

You'll get your cabin assignment anytime between now and when you check in at the pier. If you receive an upgrade, you'll find that out also anytime between now and when you check in. Most guarantees are made in the same cabin type as booked, so if you're hoping for a balcony or even an unobstructed oceanview, don't get all excited. It's always best to assume you'll end up with the worst cabin in the category you booked; that way, you're never disappointed.

You'll get your cabin assignment anytime between now and when you check in at the pier. If you receive an upgrade, you'll find that out also anytime between now and when you check in. Most guarantees are made in the same cabin type as booked, so if you're hoping for a balcony or even an unobstructed oceanview, don't get all excited. It's always best to assume you'll end up with the worst cabin in the category you booked; that way, you're never disappointed.

well said!

Thanks, Lovey. I find that being a pessimist complements the Princess upgrade system very well! Hope you're well.

We are well... but we are struggling on the next cruise to take. :) We are looking into doing a Panama Canal with Windstar. Hope all is well with you.

Upsell? You mean Princess doesn't offer free upgrades anymore? :eek:
That might be the case with free upgrades from Mini-Suites to full suites. It appears Princess is using upsell offers from $199 to $399 per person to fill any open full suites. We gladly accepted the offer last year when DW and I were cruising the Baltics with DD on her first cruise. Princess is still offering other free upgrades. We were "upgraded" from a Cat BE balcony to a Cat B2 balcony on Caribe deck about two months ago for our October CA Coastal on the Crown.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks, Lovey. I find that being a pessimist complements the Princess upgrade system very well! Hope you're well.

I agree. if I expect the worst I'm not disappointed and usually pleasantly surprised.

That might be the case with free upgrades from Mini-Suites to full suites. It appears Princess is using upsell offers from $199 to $399 per person to fill any open full suites. We gladly accepted the offer last year when DW and I were cruising the Baltics with DD on her first cruise. Princess is still offering other free upgrades. We were "upgraded" from a Cat BE balcony to a Cat B2 balcony on Caribe deck about two months ago for our October CA Coastal on the Crown.
I think Princess is implementing a new strategy and using upsells rather than free upgrades to open lower category cabins for booking. If they can make money on it, they will. Probably won't do away with free upgrades but as always, follow the money.

I think Princess is implementing a new strategy and using upsells rather than free upgrades to open lower category cabins for booking. If they can make money on it, they will. Probably won't do away with free upgrades but as always, follow the money.
YUP!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

When I booked our Hawaii cruise a couple of years ago I booked directly through Princess. At the time of booking the online system offered me a gty and I took it. I was very pleased to end up in a much better balcony than the one I originally booked.

The last few times I've booked I haven't seen the offer of a gty. I have two cruises coming up (not soon enough unfortunately!) and I haven't marked them "no upgrade" but neither have I seen somewhere that offered me gty. Am I just missing it or what? Just curious...

In our 9 cruises with Princess there have been three upgrades offered to us, one free and two upsells, we accepted all of them.:) We always book through Princess direct and get any price discounts Princess offers except those for new bookings only. The free one we did not know about until checking in, since we always pick the room we want, we said we did not want the upgrade. They said go look at it and it's location and then let us know which you want. We took the upgrade, but our luggage went to the original cabin, only a minor snag, as it was delivered withing 15 min. to our new cabin. The two upsells we knew the location before getting on the ship. I'll take the upgrade almost any time unless it puts us right under a noisey deck.;)

When I booked our Hawaii cruise a couple of years ago I booked directly through Princess. At the time of booking the online system offered me a gty and I took it. I was very pleased to end up in a much better balcony than the one I originally booked.

The last few times I've booked I haven't seen the offer of a gty. I have two cruises coming up (not soon enough unfortunately!) and I haven't marked them "no upgrade" but neither have I seen somewhere that offered me gty. Am I just missing it or what? Just curious...

When you are at the point where you want to choose your stateroom there will be one button that says "I'll choose my own" and another button that says "Choose for me". I hope that helps.