VAT Tax Reimbursement

My husband and I are just back after a 7 day Med. sailing. Fabulous time! My question is if anyone else has had issues with the VAT tax? My husband purchased a watch on board and were told we would get the VAT tax back. After talking to numerous RC staff members everyone gave us a different plan of action as far as customs and getting the paperwork filed. When arriving to the airport after departing Rome, we were told we would need to get it stamped at our next destination which ended up being Sweden due to a layover. When arriving in Sweden we were told that they could not do anything with it as far as stamping it and we need to do that when we get back to the states. When arriving back at the states we were told by customs that it all is a scam and US does not do anything like that. We were really disappointed as it was a 50 some dollar fee. I somewhat feel as if RC dropped the ball on this. It just really annoyed us that the customs official at JFK stated that this was a scam. I don't think it's a scam but I am not sure how to go about doing this off of a cruise. Any input would be great!

In 2010 although it was not our point of departure from the EU (Paris was) we had our paperwork stamped in the Barcelona airport. We were told to get it stamped as the first airport we hit so we did. If it was Rome for you, that is the airport that should have stamped the paperwork.

We made sure we got it stamped as along with on board purchases, we also purchased a white gold bracelet in Florence for several thousand that we wanted to recoup the VAT tax on.

Sorry to hear you got the run around. We did not look to the ship personnel for guidance a it can be sketchy. We researched it on the internet and here on CC.

Edited by PCWalton1

Thanks for your input, PCWalton. After researching everything it appears they make it very difficult to recoup this now a days. No worries. Still had a great time and now we know for next time. Thank you again.

Thanks for your input, PCWalton. After researching everything it appears they make it very difficult to recoup this now a days. No worries. Still had a great time and now we know for next time. Thank you again.

We will be on liberty in October and was wondering do they charge the VAT on liquor and is there anyplace where it is not charged (at sea, in Italy, France, etc)? Also, we are doing a b2b with a TA from Barcelona to fll does anyone know where they would stop charging the VAT, obviously I can wait until I am on board but thought some of you experienced travelers may know.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Motorman, Just off that cruise...First and foremost you will love it! However, they charge VAT on everything since the place of departure is Spain which is in the EU. On the cruise, in port, everywhere. The only place I noticed we didn't get charged was at the airports when we would eat or purchase something. But, I could be wrong on that as well. I will verify that with my husband for you. We were told that anything consumed you do not get reimbursed for, such as alcohol, food, and beverages. This also goes for tours that you do. We were told we would be reimbursed for purchased items such as jewelry and other personal items. However, they certainly give you the run around and we're just chalking it up as a loss. Be prepared for this tax and you'll be fine. It caught us off guard as we ended up purchasing a 160.00 wine package and it ended up costing WAY over that including the taxes from the cruise as well as the VAT. If you are a wine drinker, definitley don't do wine by the glass. Total it runs around 15.00+ for a glass of wine, you can do a bottle of wine for about 37.00 with all of the taxes. You will have a fabulous time and despite it all it was worth every penny! Have a great time!!

OH, learn how to use their train/metro stations in the countries. We saved a ton of money on this by buying train tickets to get to and from places. Monte Carlo is amazing and worth the train ride. If you are doing a B2B make sure you get to the Cinque Terre! Most amazing part of our trip. We took the train in La Spezia (about a 20 minute walk from the port) to Monterossa in the Cinque Terre. Then got back on the train and went to another village there, then took the ferry ride back. You can take the ferry to and from the Cinque Terra but the ferry ride takes about an hour. We wanted to see at least two of the villages so we opted for the train. If you need any help or input on anything, let me know. My husband and I (me 28, husband 31)) learned the best ways to get around while experiencing it all. Again, no matter what you do you will have a terrific time!

OH, learn how to use their train/metro stations in the countries. We saved a ton of money on this by buying train tickets to get to and from places. Monte Carlo is amazing and worth the train ride. If you are doing a B2B make sure you get to the Cinque Terre! Most amazing part of our trip. We took the train in La Spezia (about a 20 minute walk from the port) to Monterossa in the Cinque Terre. Then got back on the train and went to another village there, then took the ferry ride back. You can take the ferry to and from the Cinque Terra but the ferry ride takes about an hour. We wanted to see at least two of the villages so we opted for the train. If you need any help or input on anything, let me know. My husband and I (me 28, husband 31)) learned the best ways to get around while experiencing it all. Again, no matter what you do you will have a terrific time!

We are going to Cinque Terre and already made contact with a local that someone knows who will accompany us for a reasonable charge. Should help to maximize our time. We are also going to Monte Carlo and have plans for all the stops. We will relax on the TA on its way to FLL. We are lucky to be able to do a 3 week cruise since we just took an early retirement (our choice) at ages 58 and 59.

Mike

If you take a round trip from a European (EU) port which does not call to a non-EU port then you may be charged VAT on everything on the ship at the rate which prevails in the country of departure.

If the ship goes to an Non-Eu port then there is no VAT charged onboard. Hence when Croatia joined the EU last year a lot of cruises dropped Split or Dubrovnik in favour of Kotor in Montenegro - which is not in the EU. Also, many Greek Island cruises take in Kusadasi in Turkey.

As an aside - I notice that the cruise ships charge 15% gratuity and THEN add on the VAT. Which is, to my uncertain knowledge, illegal. You cannot calculate the VAT as a percentage of the gratuity also.

Edited by Wilde_37

If you take a round trip from a European (EU) port which does not call to a non-EU port then you may be charged VAT on everything on the ship at the rate which prevails in the country of departure.

If the ship goes to an Non-Eu port then there is no VAT charged onboard. Hence when Croatia joined the EU last year a lot of cruises dropped Split or Dubrovnik in favour of Kotor in Montenegro - which is not in the EU. Also, many Greek Island cruises take in Kusadasi in Turkey.

As an aside - I notice that the cruise ships charge 15% gratuity and THEN add on the VAT. Which is, to my uncertain knowledge, illegal. You cannot calculate the VAT as a percentage of the gratuity also.

I have always thought the way the ships charge VAT is illegal, my understanding is that VAT should always be included in the advertised retail price. The ships do it the American way by adding the tax at the till which is wrong in Europe. I've never paid attention but if they charge it on the gratuity, that seems wrong too.

Kevin's Girl, if your cruise includes a stop in Russia, you will not be charged VAT on the ship as Russia is not in the EU. You will pay tax on any purchases in EU countries but it is always included in the price you see, not added as a separate tax afterwards.

Julie

Good for you, motorman! You will have a blast. Congrats on the early retirement!

Kevinsgirl, you may want to contact RC. I really have no idea about the VAT tax there. Maybe someone can be of better assistance. A friend of mine did that cruise and said it was her best cruise ever! Have a great time.

We will be on liberty in October and was wondering do they charge the VAT on liquor and is there anyplace where it is not charged (at sea, in Italy, France, etc)? Also, we are doing a b2b with a TA from Barcelona to fll does anyone know where they would stop charging the VAT, obviously I can wait until I am on board but thought some of you experienced travelers may know.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RCI will charge VAT on all purchases at a rate of 10% on beverages and speciality restaurant charges. Purchases from the stores will attract the higher rate of VAT which is 21% (Spain has several rates).

Can't remember what rate is charged on spa services.

The above applies on all Mediterranean sailings from/to Barcelona where the ship just visits EU ports.

There won't be any duty free sales of cigarettes or liquor so the onboard store that usually sells these goods will either be empty or full of alternative goods (it was handbags on our Splendour Mediterranean sailing).

Once you set sail on the TA, the levy of VAT should stop once you arrive in the Canary Islands (although part of Spain these Islands are tax free). This is what happened on our Liberty westbound TA in 2011.

Edited by peteukmcr

Kevin's Girl, if your cruise includes a stop in Russia, you will not be charged VAT on the ship as Russia is not in the EU. You will pay tax on any purchases in EU countries but it is always included in the price you see, not added as a separate tax afterwards.

Julie

Thanks Julie, we will be stopping in Russia for two days. I guess that I will not need to worry about the VAT on the ship.

In 2010 although it was not our point of departure from the EU (Paris was) we had our paperwork stamped in the Barcelona airport. We were told to get it stamped as the first airport we hit so we did. If it was Rome for you, that is the airport that should have stamped the paperwork.

We made sure we got it stamped as along with on board purchases, we also purchased a white gold bracelet in Florence for several thousand that we wanted to recoup the VAT tax on.

Sorry to hear you got the run around. We did not look to the ship personnel for guidance a it can be sketchy. We researched it on the internet and here on CC.

That's what we did. We departed from BCN and got our paperwork stamped and the money refunded at the airport at a kiosk. Not sure if it is different now.

Thanks for your input, PCWalton. After researching everything it appears they make it very difficult to recoup this now a days.

We just returned from Europe, and made some post-cruise purchases in London. VAT on those equaled about $50. We asked for the roper forms/receipts in the stores and they gave them to us, and once at Heathrow just followed the signs for "VAT refunds." It was upstairs from the departures check in. The line was short, and a super nice guy took all the forms and did whatever needs to be done with them, and in theory the refund will show up on the credit card in a few weeks. (I think it's slightly more complicated if you want cash back but I'm not sure)

Sorry I don't understand how they made it more difficult. Don't you still just wait in line at the departure airport and have them stamp the papers you asked for when you made your purchase? :confused:

Sorry I don't understand how they made it more difficult. Don't you still just wait in line at the departure airport and have them stamp the papers you asked for when you made your purchase? :confused:

I just returned from Germany and it is funny...first you have to go to a customs kiosk to get your receipts stamped with the items with you. Then you proceed to another teller (across the airport), wait in a long line and get some of the VAT returned. Some of the receipts could not be refunded and THEN we had to go down stairs across the airport to another teller to submit those "other" receipts. Good thing we had 4 hours to board our flight.....We still are waiting for our VAT tax we submitted in Italy in April having filed in Venice with the VAT window and mailed. I personally think it is a way to make you feel better about spending money but in our experience we have seen some missing returned tax. Next time carry cash and deal from there...Good Luck.:)

They call it a gratuity, but since it's not optional it's really a service charge. I believe VAT is charged for services, as well as goods.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We still are waiting for our VAT tax we submitted in Italy in April having filed in Venice with the VAT window and mailed. I personally think it is a way to make you feel better about spending money but in our experience we have seen some missing returned tax. Next time carry cash and deal from there.

Not really sure what you mean by that. :confused: You pay VAT whether you pay with cash or with a credit card.

Not really sure what you mean by that. :confused: You pay VAT whether you pay with cash or with a credit card.

......Don't say anything but some vendors will not charge the tax if you pay cash......wink, wink, nod ,nod......so a $1.00 item would sell for $0. 84.....there really is a two tiered economy. But don't tell the government....;):D