Question…..Allure and Oasis

We love cruising and have been are larger ships - Disney, Fantasy and the Dream, RCI - Freedom, Carnival Dream and had no issues. BUT will we encounter issues on the MEGA ships?

My daughter is in a wheelchair and my husband suffers from PTSD. Hubby is OK as long as he can find those little out of the way places and find some piece and quiet and or get back to the cabin and out on our balcony. My daughter's in a wheelchair and suffers from a linty of medical issues, for her we have to be able to get an elevator with ease and get from place to place is a reasonable amount of time.

Can I accomplish these things on the Mega Allure or Oasis?

We love cruising and have been are larger ships - Disney, Fantasy and the Dream, RCI - Freedom, Carnival Dream and had no issues. BUT will we encounter issues on the MEGA ships?

My daughter is in a wheelchair and my husband suffers from PTSD. Hubby is OK as long as he can find those little out of the way places and find some piece and quiet and or get back to the cabin and out on our balcony. My daughter's in a wheelchair and suffers from a linty of medical issues, for her we have to be able to get an elevator with ease and get from place to place is a reasonable amount of time.

In a word, Yes. I see lots of folks navigate the larger ships with ease. There are some places that are further apart than on other ships so you just plan accordingly. Enjoy :)

Although the ships hold a lot of passengers the many and diverse venues spread the passenger load quite well. We typically find many of the smaller ships more crowded than Oasis / Allure. There are four main pools plus the adult Solarium pool that are themed and rarely over crowded regardless of time of day.

There are numerous elevators both fore and aft and with the exception of the aft elevators at dinner, are rarely crowded as well. And even at dinner the crowding at the elevators is manageable.

There are many places on theses ships to find quiet and private refuges, including the "secret" balconies all the way aft on decks 11, 12, & 14. (there is no deck 13 on Oasis / Allure). And no one public place - other than at times the Royal Promenade - is overloaded with people at any given time.

Given the circumstance you describe, I think you will find Oasis / Allure well suited to your needs.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Although the ships hold a lot of passengers the many and diverse venues spread the passenger load quite well. We typically find many of the smaller ships more crowded than Oasis / Allure. There are four main pools plus the adult Solarium pool that are themed and rarely over crowded regardless of time of day.

There are numerous elevators both fore and aft and with the exception of the aft elevators at dinner, are rarely crowded as well. And even at dinner the crowding at the elevators is manageable.

There are many places on theses ships to find quiet and private refuges, including the "secret" balconies all the way aft on decks 11, 12, & 14. (there is no deck 13 on Oasis / Allure). And no one public place - other than at times the Royal Promenade - is overloaded with people at any given time.

Given the circumstance you describe, I think you will find Oasis / Allure well suited to your needs.

THANK YOU! Your comment gave me the details I need! Leave it to a Philly "burbs" person to help out a fellow "burbs" gal out!!! Is it frowned upon to yell YO from your balcony :D

THANK YOU! Your comment gave me the details I need! Leave it to a Philly "burbs" person to help out a fellow "burbs" gal out!!! Is it frowned upon to yell YO from your balcony :D

Not in my book. ;)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We just got off the Allure on Sunday, and I was amazed at how well they managed so many people in a way that it never felt crowded. There were only two exceptions: on the last sea day, the main two pools on deck 15 were pretty packed, and getting out of the shows in the main showroom when they were over took some patience. The best way to handle the first is to go to the Solarium pool if you want to swim, and the best way to handle the 2nd is to sit tight until most of the people are out of the main showroom.

We just got off the Allure on Sunday, and I was amazed at how well they managed so many people in a way that it never felt crowded. There were only two exceptions: on the last sea day, the main two pools on deck 15 were pretty packed, and getting out of the shows in the main showroom when they were over took some patience. The best way to handle the first is to go to the Solarium pool if you want to swim, and the best way to handle the 2nd is to sit tight until most of the people are out of the main showroom.

Have they made that pool larger? It seemed like an oversize hot tub to me.

I travel with my sister who has MS (she uses a scooter to get around the ship and a cane in the cabin). We always get an accessible cabin. We have been cruising for years and last year decided to try Oasis. We absolutely loved it. So much to do and see. We loved it so much we're going back on Allure next month.

Yes, the ship is big but because it's so new everything is accessible and you honestly don't realize that there are 6000 people on board (well maybe sometimes you do).

One of the high points was the Beach pool. It was easy access for my sister to get in and out. We never had any problems except sometimes we had to wait several times to get on an elevator (but you'll find that on almost any ship).

So far you have gotten good advice.

I suggest that you do research on the ship layout.

For example, a stateroom on deck 8 (for me) is wonderful. Just go around the corner and there is Central Park, beautiful, serene, peaceful, cafes and restaurants, near the elevators.

Know which areas to avoid at what times (as been mentioned).

You can find places on this ship with hardly anyone there, for example, deck 5 aft and the "secret balconies".

Have fun.

If Central Park can't calm someone down who has PTSD I don't know what can other than, of course, sitting on a balcony watching the ocean. Oasis/Allure would be great ships for your family. They are designed well and easy to navigate.

• 9 months later...
We love cruising and have been are larger ships - Disney, Fantasy and the Dream, RCI - Freedom, Carnival Dream and had no issues. BUT will we encounter issues on the MEGA

ships?

Make sure you book an accessible cabin. We always get a boardwalk balcony accessible cabin (we're booked on Allure 12/15 in 14 something)

I traveled Allure with a Wheelchair and Rented Scooter. It is a very accessible ship - one of the better ones we've been on. It is a large ship. The scooter allowed me to go where I wanted to go without having to wait for someone to push me in the wheelchair. All ports were docked, so no problem there. My mother in law was in a push wheelchair and my hubby would get winded sometimes taking her from one end of the ship to the other.

Every officer on board has a key to the elevators and when we waited more than 30 minutes for an elevator, we just asked one of them for help and they would lock the elevator when it came to our floor, let us get on, then unlock it. We only had to do this twice. Once when we had waited over 40 minutes and were going to miss our dinner time and once when we had excursions booked and had waited over 30 minutes to try to get off the ship. When disembarking, get their early and they will take you in a special elevator to disembark.

We found the Central Park to be a very relaxing place to sit and read, except at mealtimes when diners were rushing to get to Chops or Park Cafe. There were hidden balconies that we enjoyed on levels 11, 12 and 14, but I hear they are taking them away to make more suites.

Enjoy your cruise! Let me know if i can answer any questions.

Edited by Dinkachu