Should we renew our Passports??

karessamom

I know this question has probably been asked hundreds of times before but do we really need to renew our passports?? ours will expire in March of 2015 we will be taking our cruise in Aug of 2015. I know previously (years ago) that they'd accept expired passports on cruises but now it's saying not. FYI we are US citizens. (born and raised USA) The reason I asked was because we got them for our 2005 cruise and have never used them except 1 time since the following year on another cruise. we haven't cruised or gone anywhere out of the country since 2006.

If something happens and you need it I myself wouldn't be willing to bet that it would be ok. I got my passport in 2008 and have used it twice. BUT I like the piece of mind it gives me "just in case". And I will be getting it renewed once it's time.

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015

Edited by losijon

My passport has about 4 more years to go but I will definitely renew it when it is time. I guess just for peace of mind more than anything. You never know when you actually might need it. However, that's just me.:)

Renewing is cheaper than having to get a new one. Expired passports are not accepted for cruising. If something happens in a foreign port and you miss the ship it is so much easier to have a valid passport if you have to fly home. They are good for 10 years and you may find yourself taking more cruises!

Renewing is cheaper than having to get a new one. Expired passports are not accepted for cruising. If something happens in a foreign port and you miss the ship it is so much easier to have a valid passport if you have to fly home. They are good for 10 years and you may find yourself taking more cruises!

Well, it's cheaper in that you don't have to pay the $25.00 processing fee. But the cost of the passport itself is $110.00 (for an adult passport) for original or renewal.

I agree, renew it.

I know of people who missed the ship leaving a port, so they were stuck. Having a passport made the whole getting back to the ship much easier.

I also read on here an account from a lady whose husband had a heart attack and had to be taken to a hospital in port. If she wouldn't have had a passport, she wouldn't have been able to accompany him.

DH and I always have our pp's with us when we cruise.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Cruise Critic App

I know this question has probably been asked hundreds of times before but do we really need to renew our passports?? ours will expire in March of 2015 we will be taking our cruise in Aug of 2015. I know previously (years ago) that they'd accept expired passports on cruises but now it's saying not. FYI we are US citizens. (born and raised USA) The reason I asked was because we got them for our 2005 cruise and have never used them except 1 time since the following year on another cruise. we haven't cruised or gone anywhere out of the country since 2006.

If you are comfortable cruising with a certified copy of your birth certificates and govt issued ID's and you are doing a closed loop cruise, than no you don't need to renew your passports.

They won't be any good for your August 15 cruise.

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

Well, it's cheaper in that you don't have to pay the $25.00 processing fee. But the cost of the passport itself is $110.00 (for an adult passport) for original or renewal.

I agree, renew it.

Exactly not really "cheaper". :o

We just renewed ours - they cam back in less than the 4 weeks stated. Easy peasy...and I too would not travel without them.

I agree, renew it.

Bottom line it is cheaper, no need to be snarky.

Please do renew your passports!

It's great to always have a current passport because having one allows you so many options that you might to take. Would you really want to be in the situation of not being able to fly out of the US?

LuLu

If you are comfortable cruising with a certified copy of your birth certificates and govt issued ID's and you are doing a closed loop cruise, than no you don't need to renew your passports.

They won't be any good for your August 15 cruise.

Bill

Renew your passport. While the birth certificate and ID's may be sufficient for a closed loop tour, they won't be sufficient if you need to leave the cruise for any reason and have to fly home.

Renew your passport. While the birth certificate and ID's may be sufficient for a closed loop tour, they won't be sufficient if you need to leave the cruise for any reason and have to fly home.

There is a very slim chance that may happen but it could. Been on 29 cruises so far and no need to leave the ship yet.

Maybe my number is up.

That's why I said if you feel "comfortable" cruising with the BC and govt IDS.:)

Bill

Of course this has always been a subject of great debate, but only you can make the determination on the cost of it. I myself did my first cruise with just a birth certificate, then I got a passport card. Did with it for almost two years, then I also obtain a passport, only because of a possible transatlantic. But I never got carry-away on what could happen!

Like others have mentioned, it is so much easier to renew a passport than to start the process over again.

Plus there might be a time where you need an extra piece of id for something other than travel and it comes in handy. I needed two pieces for work and I used that and my drivers license.

I've used mine for the same. I plan on renewing my passport no matter what.

<And you might eventually need them to vote> <sarcasm>

My inlaws just renewed theirs for a cruise. They debated not doing so since they are 83 and 81 and figured that in 10 years they would not need them, but decided that the cost for peace of mind on the cruise was justified.

Also, having a passport makes sudden trips possible. We were able to take advantage of stupid low fares from Arizona to London because we had the passports in hand. (Stupid fares were $400 per person round trip.) Without a passport we would have just been wishing.