Carrying the Cups.... What a pain!

Yep... We needed Powerade because we (specifically my wife) were dehydrated and needed to replenish. A soda would have had the opposite effect, and water, while nice, isn't nearly as quick and effective.

When you sell the plan to me as an unlimited plan, I expect it to be an unlimited plan. The unadvertised time restrictions reek of a bait and switch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I think perhaps you need to look up the definition of bait and switch.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to de-construct the cup to put the chip in some type of key fob, and use that at the machines with a regular cup you could pick up in the Windjammer? Or even a bigger cup - I wonder if that would work?

In fact, I think those chips could be on the seapass cards themselves for minimal cost, so all you would need to do is scan your cards at the machine.

I've already tried one the machines at a hamburger place nearby, and I spent a few minutes sampling a few different combinations before I determined what I liked. Seems I would need to take an hour or two at the buffet to do that with the chip!

We were on the Explorer in June and my DW and I had no problem getting "Pop" as we say in the 'burgh, while in the WJ without having our cups. We were served pop both during lunch and dinner in glasses without any question or complaints. I wonder if you had a couple of servers who were having bad days :)

I almost always go to a bar, present my Seapass to get a soda. We didn't have a problem on Liberty a few weeks ago. Our cups were still shrink wrapped when we left the ship so maybe using the cups with the chip is the problem. We certainly didn't carry the cup to the dining room.

I am thinking of getting the Soda Package for my kiddos on our upcoming Oasis cruise...can they get free soda at the restaurants too (like Johnny Rockets for example)?

Yes.

I was on EOS in mid-June and my kids had the soda package and, like several others, experienced no issues. They were always able to get soda with or without their cups at any of the venues on the ship, as well as at Labadee with no issues.

The one "drink issue" that came up was the day after we lunched at Johnny Rockets we found ourselves craving another shake, until cheapskate dad realized that would cost about $12/shake because we would have to pay the cover and then buy the frosty treats. :eek:

I was on EOS in mid-June and my kids had the soda package and, like several others, experienced no issues. They were always able to get soda with or without their cups at any of the venues on the ship, as well as at Labadee with no issues.

The one "drink issue" that came up was the day after we lunched at Johnny Rockets we found ourselves craving another shake, until cheapskate dad realized that would cost about $12/shake because we would have to pay the cover and then buy the frosty treats. :eek:

You can get just a shake without paying the cover charge.

You can get just a shake without paying the cover charge.

Sorry to slightly change directions of this original thread but what is the "cover charge" at Johnny Rockets?

Wow! I didn't even know there was a cover charge. Do other places on board have cover charges (besides the specialty restaurants, I know about those)?

Since Oasis is next up for you:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/10020614_Allure_Specialty_Restaurant_Flyer.pdf

Edited by clarea

We were on the same cruise- unfriendly staff and had to carry the cup. Funny thing is I brought a travel coffee mug from home and was told I could not use it to refill my coffee from the royal promenade in the morning. He said using the same cup to re fill was unsanitary. I ignored the first time, then they put up a sign, so I stopped. We had a great time, but not my favorite crew at all. Everyone was cranky!! Just a bad week I guess,but we had a blast!

We were on the same cruise- unfriendly staff and had to carry the cup. Funny thing is I brought a travel coffee mug from home and was told I could not use it to refill my coffee from the royal promenade in the morning. He said using the same cup to re fill was unsanitary. I ignored the first time, then they put up a sign, so I stopped. We had a great time, but not my favorite crew at all. Everyone was cranky!! Just a bad week I guess,but we had a blast!

Good point! Refilling a travel mug with coffee is unsanitary but refilling an insulated cup with pop isn't?

So, how was your cruise? Aside from the cups problem, did you have an enjoyable experience?

Unfortunately I didn't really like RCI... There were many issues during our cruise that made us feel unhappy. Maybe it was the ship we picked, I don't know but next time I will save a bit more and go with Disney.