Glacier Bay Day activities?

threetimesalady

Can some of you experienced cruisers tell us about any special activities on the days spent in Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm Fjord ? I have heard they have naturalists come aboard. Are hot drinks or specialty foods offered on deck? Can hot chocolate be ordered from room service? Thanks for any info or tips for maximizing the experience! We are sailing in late August on the Island Princess from Vancouver to Whittier.

We are just back from the Northbound Voyage of the Glaciers on the Island so its fresh in my mind. For Glacier Bay we picked up the Park Rangers at around 7:00 am. Shortly after a naration began that could be heard on the decks. We hung out on the aft Baja deck to be out of the wind but I believe, from past experience, that hot drinks were served on the upper decks. Hot chocolate is also available to buy from the Patissere in the atrium on deck five. Blankets were available to check out from the pool towel room on deck 14. The park rangers set up some tables in the Horizon Court with information, books to buy, etc. Later in the afternoon there was a ranger presentaion in the Princess Theater.

In College Fiord the onboard naturalist did some narration. It has been a long time since we were in Tracy Arm but I suspect the naturalist would be around then as well. Besides pointing out glaciers, points of interest and animals, the naturalist gives three presentations in the theater during the cruise.

Enjoy your Alaskan adventure. Don't forget your camera and binoculars! The Island is our favorite ship. She has a wonderful crew.

Can some of you experienced cruisers tell us about any special activities on the days spent in Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm Fjord ? I have heard they have naturalists come aboard. Are hot drinks or specialty foods offered on deck? Can hot chocolate be ordered from room service? Thanks for any info or tips for maximizing the experience! We are sailing in late August on the Island Princess from Vancouver to Whittier.

Glacier Bay is a fantastic experience......hopefully not fogged in:eek:

Here's a thread with several recent Princess Patters of CC members posts from their cruises.........hope this is helpful..........Mike:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2066581

I was just re-reading about our Glacier Bay days on my blog (promoted by a PBS documentary that was broadcast last night about cruising the Inside Passage on a Regent Seven Seas ship, if you can find it online) . These might help provide some insight:

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/search/label/Glacier%20Bay%20National%20Park

All drinks are served in glasses. No paper cups or straws or anything that could harm the bay. A coffee card is needed for hot chocolate. On the Coral, a hot soup (bouillon ) was available all day. Did not try it. It's a hoot to watch the rangers embark the ship. If you have a national park passport book, bring it along. They have stamps for Glacier Bay. Also in Skagway and Ketchikan.

All drinks are served in glasses. No paper cups or straws or anything that could harm the bay. A coffee card is needed for hot chocolate. On the Coral, a hot soup (bouillon ) was available all day. Did not try it. It's a hoot to watch the rangers embark the ship. If you have a national park passport book, bring it along. They have stamps for Glacier Bay. Also in Skagway and Ketchikan.

Great info about the stamps. :)

Just came off the southbound on the Crown - will agree with the above poster -we also had a "coffee cart" coming around on Deck 7 where you could purchase specialty coffee's such as Irish, Mexican etc. Nice touch

Good info, thanks. We are northbound on the Crown at the end of August.

Great info about the stamps. :)

wish I had known about the stamps! DARN!:(
We took our National Park Passport Book with us on our Alaska cruise in hopes that the rangers that came onboard at Glacier Bay would have the stamp. And sure enough, they did. Just find out where on the ship they set up their display booth, and the Passport stamp will be there. On our sailing it was in the Conservatory above the covered pool. You can also get it stamped at the Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park Visitor Center in Skagway.

Here's a photo of the Glacier Bay National Park set up on the Golden Princess a few years ago:

5881885823_9490efa353_z.jpgGlacier Bay National Park by Jasperdo, on Flickr

We took our National Park Passport Book with us on our Alaska cruise in hopes that the rangers that came onboard at Glacier Bay would have the stamp. And sure enough, they did. Just find out where on the ship they set up their display booth, and the Passport stamp will be there. On our sailing it was in the Conservatory above the covered pool. You can also get it stamped at the Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park Visitor Center in Skagway.

Here's a photo of the Glacier Bay National Park set up on the Golden Princess a few years ago:

5881885823_9490efa353_z.jpgGlacier Bay National Park by Jasperdo, on Flickr

In Ketchikan, a Forest Ranger comes on board. But if you walk/free shuttle to the end of town, the Discovery Center (near Lumberjack show) has a free Misty Fjords stamp before you enter the museum.

I needed a third book. Parks I visited were out (all 3 visitor centers in Sequoia). The Glacier Bay rangers didn't have any either. I picked one up from Skagway the second time through (b2b). They did have a cute sticker on board that you could stamp, but I generally lose those.

Can hot chocolate be ordered from room service? We are sailing in late August on the Island Princess from Vancouver to Whittier.

When we were on the Island for Alaska, there was free hot chocolate all day long from a container outside the buffet area.