All inclusive drinks package

CCFC

I think P&O are missing a trick here and are one of the last cruise lines to implement an all-inclusive. My last cruise had free drinks included in the headline price which swayed me from one line to another.

I also think P&O are missing a trick, it persuades us to book Celebrity over P&O if the Drinks Package is included in the price. But, I don't think they will ever introduce it, they would certainly be out of pocket on the short hen party cruises.

Edited by bee-ess

I also think P&O are missing a trick, it persuades us to book Celebrity over P&O if the Drinks Package is included in the price. But, I don't think they will ever introduce it, they would certainly be out of pocket on the short hen party cruises.

Haha I have been on several of the mini cruises and agree with you.:eek:

Perhaps they could only make it available for cruises of 7 nights or more. It would be easier for the waiters too if they operate it like Celebrity, no receipts to print and bring you to sign, they simply swipe your cruise card at the till 😊

I think Princess only operates it on cruises of 4 days or more, you would think the sister (Carnival) lines would be able to look at each others books to see if its worth it or not. Maybe they did, who knows!

• 2 months later...

Looks like P&O Australia are getting the beer, wine soda package starting next year.

"P&O Cruises Australia are currently trialling an Alcoholic Drinks Package on board the Pacific Pearl which will include wines, beer, spirits, cocktails and soft drinks."

I'm surprised by this as the Aussies are well known for their thirst, unlike our good selves :)

Edited by CCFC

Having done Celebrity and P&O this year both out of Southampton the companies have completely different approaches to alcohol.

Celebrity drinks prices are far more expensive which makes their packages seem better value. P&O bar prices are cheaper and they allow passengers to take alcohol onboard. We saw far more drunk people on P&O than we ever saw on Celebrity. We sat for dinner one night with people who had half pint glasses of vodka in front on them carried in from their cabin.

P&O deals are aimed at providing cheap cruises for the mass market who get on loaded with their own drink and know bar prices will be reasonable. Celebrity cruise deals that include alcohol packages cost more but people say they have a 'free' package and of course don't take more onboard. This seems to make for more sensible drinking.

We actually prefer a cheap cabin price and no package but prefer Celebrity ships.

We pay as we go during the day and purchase a wine package for the evening. It would have cost a £1000 for a two week cruise for 2 people this year for the classic drink package purchased separately to the cruise. Makes you think twice about how much you really want to spend on alcohol. That's why the cost is hidden in the cruise deals that are advertised early as all inclusive.

It wouldn't really benefit us as a family. We drink iced tap water on the ship during the day which is free. We're always in the Caribbean so 9 out of 14 days were off the ship and in the evening we share half a bottle of wine and maybe one drink afterwards if that. My boy doesn't like fizzy drinks either. I can see it will benefit others but my two week bill for drinks tends to be only small. I've been on AI before and they're rubbish quality too. I'd like to see an AI ice cream package though :)

P&O have in my opinion always been quite reasonable with bar prices compared to other comparable lines. We are going on a RCI cruise next year, whose prices are normally higher and as part of the deal we have a drinks package which is good. It will be interesting to see how people are on the ship with the drinks package which seems to have been included for a high proportion of people who booked this year.

I don't agree with AI. I think must people will not drink enough to get value for money. Also, if they make it cheap then some people will go mad and try to drink the ship dry.

As for trying something different to drink, not liking it, leaving it and getting another drink. That's on par with people filling up their plate with food and then leaving half of it.

Take care what you wish for. If Pando do introduce AI across the fleet and it backfires on them they could find it difficult to withdraw it and could earn the name booze cruises.

I wouldn't be at all interested and to be honest the thought of sharing the ship with pax trying to get value for money would turn me right off cruising.... God I sound like my Mother [emoji38] keep the booze packages in the resorts I say [emoji6]

I am quite happy with P and O drinks prices but I probably would be interested in All inc because of the coffees, fresh oranges mocktails etc and of course the odd glass of wine.:cool:

We had an MSC all inclusive which was fantastic value and we had fabulous smoothies and speciality coffees included. It isn't all about the amount of alcohol.

I am quite happy with P and O drinks prices but I probably would be interested in All inc because of the coffees, fresh oranges mocktails etc and of course the odd glass of wine.:cool:

We had an MSC all inclusive which was fantastic value and we had fabulous smoothies and speciality coffees included. It isn't all about the amount of alcohol.

Oh I didn't think about that!

I don't agree with AI. I think must people will not drink enough to get value for money. Also, if they make it cheap then some people will go mad and try to drink the ship dry.

As for trying something different to drink, not liking it, leaving it and getting another drink. That's on par with people filling up their plate with food and then leaving half of it.

Take care what you wish for. If Pando do introduce AI across the fleet and it backfires on them they could find it difficult to withdraw it and could earn the name booze cruises.

I don't think they would become booze cruises

I have had the drinks package 3 times on Celebrity and found no evidence at all of people drinking too much

I am sure P&O could trial it on one of their ships, maybe Oceana. They could simply advertise just one one week cruise as offering an all inclusive package to see how well it sells, then weigh up whether they are out of pocket or just possibly increased their profit.

Sue

and if you drink a lot of soft drinks they are included too. I am not keen on fizzy drinks, well I might be persuaded to have a champagne/cava but fanta/coke type of drinks, yuck!!!!!

Fizzy drinks not my thing either, wasn't allowed when I was a child and never liked them as an adult.

Personally if the below happened to me I would mention it to the MD on my way out of the MDR. I assume you were in freedom dining as you say you were sat with them one night.

We sat for dinner one night with people who had half pint glasses of vodka in front on them carried in from their cabin.

It is people like this who will end up spoiling it for the rest of us.

The majority I would say on the cruises I have been on have all be well behaved with drinks.

However we always go on cruises of 14 days or more ,so it does not seem to attract the type of person who would consider doing this.

Would anybody else speak to the MD on leaving.

So how did they know the half pint glasses had vodka in them as you can't smell it ?

Were they stupid enough to actually tell strangers they were sat with, that they had brought it in from the cabin 😧

Think I would have told the MD to punish them for their stupidity as well 😂

I don't think they would become booze cruises

I have had the drinks package 3 times on Celebrity and found no evidence at all of people drinking too much

I would agree - we have had drinks packages on Celebrity and Princess and seen no evidence of people drinking more than they would on P&O.

So how did they know the half pint glasses had vodka in them as you can't smell it ?

Were they stupid enough to actually tell strangers they were sat with, that they had brought it in from the cabin 😧

Think I would have told the MD to punish them for their stupidity as well 😂

Stupid ... Very probably ... Yes they did boast that they weren't paying 'silly' prices for a little cocktail when they could make a half pint Cosmo in their cabin.

As far as I know P&O have no ruling on carrying drinks into the dining room so no point in reporting it to MD. We have often seen passengers carrying glasses of wine. Even going back to their cabin for a top up. Just one of a whole lot of reasons why we stopped cruising with P&O. It's getting like Benidorm on a bad day. Complete with topless sunbathing when we were last on Azura.

Oh seapals. Maybe we have just been lucky, and as I said our cruises are 14days min normally.

I would still have reported it as they could check their cruise card and see they had not purchased any drinks elsewhere, and then deal with them.

We have carried drinks into the MDR, but that is because we were still drinking them from the bar.

Well it will be that sort who eventually make P and O stop people bringing drinks on board.

Any going on the same cruise as us in the future better hope they do not mention to me their little wheeze.

I guess this is a sign of the type of people P and O now have cruising with them, who think this is acceptable.

P&O do have an alcohol policy:-

We will generally allow a small, reasonable amount to be taken on board for you to enjoy in your cabin, however taking bottles of alcohol into restaurants or lounges will incur a corkage fee of £15 (prices are subject to change) per item (any size) per occasion.

Key words are "to enjoy in your cabin" therefore they should not be taking it out of their cabin to enjoy elsewhere. It is these sort of people who will spoil it for everyone else if P&O decide to stop allowing you to take some on board with you.

Sue

We will generally allow a small, reasonable amount to be taken on board for you to enjoy in your cabin, however taking bottles of alcohol into restaurants or lounges will incur a corkage fee of £15 (prices are subject to change) per item (any size) per occasion.

Key words are "to enjoy in your cabin" therefore they should not be taking it out of their cabin to enjoy elsewhere. It is these sort of people who will spoil it for everyone else if P&O decide to stop allowing you to take some on board with you.

Sue

Sue/Fab1

Totally agree with you.

Simple matter speak to the MD on leaving, state what has been mentioned, they will check card...hopefully will then add the £15 charge on....

Words fail me why people think it is acceptable to do this, when the prices on board are so reasonable.

If someone cannot afford to cruise and buy their drinks on board then simple do not cruise.

Do not spoil it for those who know how to behave.

Sue

Totally agree, we have seen people pouring spirits from small bottles taken from their handbags into soft drinks in both the bars and the Theatre.

None of the American lines allow you to take alcohol on board at embarkation or at port, probably for this reason.

P&O are opening themselves up to abuse of the privilege.

We will be going on a fly cruise next year our first fly cruise that is so will be buying a couple of bottles of spirits to take on with us and to drink in the cabin.

It will be interesting to see if there will be AI drinks package included by the time we go in October 16.