All inclusive drinks package

CCFC

Totally agree, we have seen people pouring spirits from small bottles taken from their handbags into soft drinks in both the bars and the Theatre.

None of the American lines allow you to take alcohol on board at embarkation or at port, probably for this reason.

P&O are opening themselves up to abuse of the privilege.

I will have to obviously keep my eyes open more, as I had not noticed this before.

I guess when everyone is banned from bringing drinks on board these will be the same people who moan the loudest.

Words really do fail me.

We will be going on a fly cruise next year our first fly cruise that is so will be buying a couple of bottles of spirits to take on with us and to drink in the cabin.

The only thing to make sure with this is that you are complying with the local customs allowances with bringing spirits into that particular country. If it is a European country then there shouldn't be a problem. However, countries outside Europe may have other rules.

Also who would really want to keep trekking back to their cabin to fill up glasses. Surely you would miss most of the entertainment. I am usually in a high deck. Quite a long walk from the indoor bars.:eek::eek:

They had a half pint of Vodka each 😱😱😱

Wouldn't have thought they would need to trek back to their cabin for a refill 😂

As much as I'd like to think P&O trial is to help us passengers save money, I think it's more likely to see is if it makes P&O more money. I have just returned from an all inclusive holiday in 5 star hotel in Tenerife. I don't think we drank more than we normally would have done, and there was no evidence of rampant binge drinking, but we did drink in the hotel rather than elsewhere. That's why hotels do it, to keep the money in the hotel

So where is the benefit for a cruise ship company, they have a captive audience anyway. Many holiday resorts have suffered, due to hotel all inclusive packages. The same could happen with cruise terminal cafes and bars, particularly the Caribbean if all inclusive drinks become the norm on cruise ships. Would you pay to drink in a bar ashore if you have already paid on the ship

All inclusive saves time for the waiters and us passengers.

On Celebrity the waiters took your cruise card and it was swiped at the till, no chits to sign so didn't end up with hundreds of bits of paper at the end of the cruise. It also meant we were served quicker.

No need for us to keep checking our on board account to see how much we have spent and no adding up to do.

Sue

So where is the benefit for a cruise ship company, they have a captive audience anyway. Many holiday resorts have suffered, due to hotel all inclusive packages. The same could happen with cruise terminal cafes and bars, particularly the Caribbean if all inclusive drinks become the norm on cruise ships. Would you pay to drink in a bar ashore if you have already paid on the ship

I would say from experience of Celebrity drinks packages the benefits are two fold. Firstly they are offered free on many of their cruises and this is an incentive to book as a drinks on board are very expensive. Secondly the packages are expensive to buy, Classic is about £36 per day + 18% service and Premium is about £43 per day plus 18% service, this is a good revenue stream, meaning that passengers will probably spend more on a drinks package than they would normally spend. It means that they take a lot of money on booze either by drinks pack or drink by drink. People will buy drinks packages because it means they can drink as much as they want rather than pay the high drink by drink price.

Edited by bee-ess

I would say from experience of Celebrity drinks packages the benefits are two fold. Firstly they are offered free on many of their cruises and this is an incentive to book as a drinks on board are very expensive. Secondly the packages are expensive to buy, Classic is about £36 per day + 18% service and Premium is about £43 per day plus 18% service, this is a good revenue stream, meaning that passengers will probably spend more on a drinks package than they would normally spend. It means that they take a lot of money on booze either by drinks pack or drink by drink. People will buy drinks packages because it means they can drink as much as they want rather than pay the high drink by drink price.

:eek::eek: My MSC all inclusive package was £20 per night and I thought this was good value as it included most things but £36/43 a day is a bit much. Multiply that by 14 nights, wow!!!!

Edited by wilson2579
spelling

:eek::eek: My MSC all inclusive package was £20 per night and I thought this was good value as it included most things but £36/43 a day is a bit much. Multiply that by 14 nights, wow!!!!

Yes, thats why getting them included in the cruise price is worth having.

I am quite happy with P and O drinks prices but I probably would be interested in All inc because of the coffees, fresh oranges mocktails etc and of course the odd glass of wine.:cool:

We had an MSC all inclusive which was fantastic value and we had fabulous smoothies and speciality coffees included. It isn't all about the amount of alcohol.

I quite agree. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves on our two MSC cruises with alcoholic & non-alcoholic drinks. A few cruise lines should take heed. We have also cruised with Celebrity & Princess. Looking forward to our cruise with P & O Xmas 2016.

Celebrity prices that include the cost of the drink package are higher and do not attract P&O customers who prefer a cheap deal and carry on their own alcohol. its only when the price is broken down that people actually see how much they are spending on alcohol and other drinks. We opted not to buy the package and didn't change our drinking habits. We purchased speciality coffee and cocktails and wine with meals and overall spent a fraction of the package deal cost. We didn't risk liver damage either!

Celebrity prices that include the cost of the drink package are higher and do not attract P&O customers who prefer a cheap deal and carry on their own alcohol. its only when the price is broken down that people actually see how much they are spending on alcohol and other drinks. We opted not to buy the package and didn't change our drinking habits. We purchased speciality coffee and cocktails and wine with meals and overall spent a fraction of the package deal cost. We didn't risk liver damage either!

I am not convinced that the prices are more expensive than P&O Select.

They are doing an offer at the moment where second passenger goes for 50% and includes a drinks package each.

We have a 14n fly Holy Land cruise booked for next Sept incl Balcony,flights,and transfers, drinks and tips for £3650 for 2.

Edited by bee-ess

I am not convinced that the prices are more expensive than P&O Select.

They are doing an offer at the moment where second passenger goes for 50% and includes a drinks package each.

We have a 14n fly Holy Land cruise booked for next Sept incl Balcony,flights,and transfers, drinks and tips for £3650 for 2.

Sounds a fair price for a booking 12 months ahead. Guessing that closer to the sail date if the cruise gets offered on a deal you would pay about £800 less but may not have the drink package but that's always a gamble. We rarely book more than 12 weeks ahead. However we have already booked Alaska for next July as like you this is a cruise we particularly want to do and don't want to take the gamble on price drop. If it was the Caribbean or the med where there are a lot of ships sailing similar itineraries it's worth the gamble.

And that is per person, isn't it - I don't think you can buy a "family" drinks package, or transfer it between pax in your group? We're not big drinkers but would be great if they did a family offer: DS would have the fizzies, DD would be fruit juices and the odd cocktail, cocktails and/or wine for me, and beer and shorts for DH - sorted!

And that is per person, isn't it - I don't think you can buy a "family" drinks package, or transfer it between pax in your group? We're not big drinkers but would be great if they did a family offer: DS would have the fizzies, DD would be fruit juices and the odd cocktail, cocktails and/or wine for me, and beer and shorts for DH - sorted!

Unfortunately you can't:o:mad:

We spoke to a couple on our last cruise ... She had the classic non alcoholic package and he had the classic alcohol package which also includes soft drinks and coffee/tea. So perhaps it is possible and would reduce the cost a little. Not sure of actual price for the non alcohol package to know how much of a saving this would be. For us the overall cost was still more per day than we normally drink. When we had the package included in the price we definitely found ourselves drinking more alcohol during the day ... Can't remember drinking more fruit juice and speciality coffee ..😆

Hi, we have just booked for a P&O cruise on the Oceania July 2016 for 7 days. It appears that the AI package has not been taken up by P&O as we have not been offered it. It would definitely be something we would be interested in as I like to try different cocktails and my husband likes to have a few drinks when on holiday. Does anyone know if there is a drinks package available when you board the cruise.

Hi, we have just booked for a P&O cruise on the Oceania July 2016 for 7 days. It appears that the AI package has not been taken up by P&O as we have not been offered it. It would definitely be something we would be interested in as I like to try different cocktails and my husband likes to have a few drinks when on holiday. Does anyone know if there is a drinks package available when you board the cruise.

There is a package for wine by the bottle although we find it cheaper to drink the house white which is quite nice and also a costa coffee package. I am not sure about the soft drinks as I don't drink these.

• 5 weeks later...

I also would be interested in an all inc drinks package with P&O.

We have sailed a few time with Royal Caribbean and have taken one of their packages. We recently cruised with them and took the Premium Drinks Package,at $55 (Approx.£34) per day each isn't cheap but was worth it for us.

Drinks on Royal Caribbean are quite expensive but P&O drinks my be cheaper,it's a while since we cruised with P&O and can't remember.

I also would be interested in an all inc drinks package with P&O.

We have sailed a few time with Royal Caribbean and have taken one of their packages. We recently cruised with them and took the Premium Drinks Package,at $55 (Approx.£34) per day each isn't cheap but was worth it for us.

Drinks on Royal Caribbean are quite expensive but P&O drinks my be cheaper,it's a while since we cruised with P&O and can't remember.

P&O prices are about pub prices, high street prices wine from £13 upwards with quite a lot between £15 - £18.

P&O prices are about pub prices, high street prices wine from £13 upwards with quite a lot between £15 - £18.

Well I'm glad I don't drink in your pub :D. I pay £2.30 in my local for a pint of draught bitter. Aboard ship it's around £4.

Perhaps they are Southern pub prices on board. I handed over a £20 note for a round of 4 pints at a Twickernam pub recently, I had my hand out for waiting the change. I didn't get any :o

There is a package for wine by the bottle although we find it cheaper to drink the house white which is quite nice and also a costa coffee package. I am not sure about the soft drinks as I don't drink these.
We tried the wine package on Azura the only problem was it specified which wine on the voucher so in some bars and restaurants they didn't stock it so had to go running off and fetch it from your allocated dining room , right pain it was , but on the upside on PO you can bring a bottle on board every shore day if you want so having a pre dinner drink on your balcony at duty free prices.We have had the drinks package twice now with Celebrity as a bonus for booking early and have to say it is very nice , tried a few cocktails which probably would not have if paying the full price and nice to have good coffee , drinking choc instead of the stuff they pass off as coffee on most cruises ..We would certainly be interested if PO introduced a package even more so if we got it as a sweetener although of course nothing is for nothing ..JC

Well I'm glad I don't drink in your pub :D. I pay £2.30 in my local for a pint of draught bitter. Aboard ship it's around £4.

Perhaps they are Southern pub prices on board. I handed over a £20 note for a round of 4 pints at a Twickernam pub recently, I had my hand out for waiting the change. I didn't get any :o

Should I have said city centre. You have to be somewhere off the Beaton track to get £2.30.