All inclusive drinks package

CCFC

As far as pricing is concerned P&O would have to make no less profit than they are now. I suggest something near £30 per day would be logical. Much less than that and people are getting the drink too cheap.

They could do what 'T' do and use the package as a booking incentive. Book a select fare and get it free. Or later on at a reduced price like a cruise I am considering where the package costs £70 per week which is still a bargain.

I can't see all drinks being included, especially wine by the bottle and some really expensive single drinks. Costa coffee may be excluded as well where they have a franchise.

Yeah you are right, it will be wine by the glass and some premium spirits will either not be available or available with a supplement and as you say Costa will be excluded

Edited by richleeds
typo

There is another reason why I probably wouldn't be interested in a drinks package. On other lines that have introduced it, you have to buy it in advance for all days remaining on your cruise - i.e., either before the cruise for the whole cruise, or during the cruise for all remaining days. It doesn't allow you to buy it for just some days. That doesn't suit me.

In the context of a 14-night cruise my daily alcohol consumption will vary; some days I will have a reasonable amount to drink, other days I will drink more moderately, while on some days (especially on a 14-night cruise) I might not drink at all. For example, on the night before an early start for a long excursion I might stay sober. And not all of my drinking is necessarily on the ship. If we're ashore for a morning excursion we might well finish off the morning with lunch and drinks ashore (we did this at Ajaccio last summer, for example).

I think these packages originated in the context of US lines' Caribbean cruises, which are rarely more than 7 nights and often shorter - quite a few lines do 3 and 4 night cruises out of Miami and Fort Lauderdale, for example. In that context the package makes sense for all parties: the line has a guaranteed revenue amount, and the passenger can feel that they might be getting a bargain.

Finally, it's also the case that, once introduced, it will become part of the 'offers' system. Celebrity have frequently included their Classic drinks package as a booking-sweetener. What's the betting that Select fares would include a drinks package, or a reduction of the cost? And how much uproar would there be if Saver Fare passengers got offers on drinks packages that Select passengers hadn't received!

I agree Tom, you talk to passengers on these packages and they feel obliged to drink heavily and to milk it for all its worth - understandable.

I reckon the average person on these packages would want to get the cost of the days package back in drinks daily plus around 20-30% more to make it feel like they have got their money's worth and a bargain, so you have to go with the mindset of drinking a lot.

As far as pricing is concerned P&O would have to make no less profit than they are now. I suggest something near £30 per day would be logical. Much less than that and people are getting the drink too cheap.

They could do what 'T' do and use the package as a booking incentive. Book a select fare and get it free. Or later on at a reduced price like a cruise I am considering where the package costs £70 per week which is still a bargain.

I can't see all drinks being included, especially wine by the bottle and some really expensive single drinks. Costa coffee may be excluded as well where they have a franchise.

It wouldn't work for us. I like to drink Prosecco with friends - we take it in turns to buy a bottle & I'm sure it won't be included in a drinks package. I also like a good Cognac after dinner - again probably not included. Hubby doesn't drink alcohol but drinks copious Costa coffees which wouldn't be included in the package. If our last transatlantic cruise is anything to go by, we had 10 days of terrible weather coming home so didn't feel like drinking so that would be a waste of money if we had paid & couldn't drink what we had paid for!

It wouldn't work for us. I like to drink Prosecco with friends - we take it in turns to buy a bottle & I'm sure it won't be included in a drinks package. I also like a good Cognac after dinner - again probably not included. Hubby doesn't drink alcohol but drinks copious Costa coffees which wouldn't be included in the package. If our last transatlantic cruise is anything to go by, we had 10 days of terrible weather coming home so didn't feel like drinking so that would be a waste of money if we had paid & couldn't drink what we had paid for!

If P&O are trying to compete with Celebrity out of the UK they may well include it. We had the standard drink package with Celebrity last year and it included Prosecco(very nice it was too) and Courvoisier.

Just back from Celebrityand had the classics drinks package - it was fine for us - included prosecco, some lovely dry white wines and the odd cocktail. Also all soft drinks etc. I probably drank a tad more than usual but not substantially so

I think if it was a reasonably price and it was 100% branded drinks and proper mixers and a reasonable house wine then yes a good idea but we wouldn't have it otherwise !not everyone abuses it it's just so that you know up front what your drinks bill will be !also would it include room service drinks (would save you taking your own),so guess we will have to wait and see the plans :)

If P&O are trying to compete with Celebrity out of the UK they may well include it. We had the standard drink package with Celebrity last year and it included Prosecco(very nice it was too) and Courvoisier.

Yes Guys the Celebrity one includes Prosecco, Champagne, Port and Brandies, We have had the basic package twice and upgraded it to Premium which is far better we think. With the Premium one if your drink is over the limit price you only pay the difference, not the full price. Also on the Premium is all soft drinks, water (not cheap to buy) and premium coffees. Although we do drink quite a lot of alcohol, a big portion also goes on soft drinks and coffee, as well fresh orange at breakfast. I think if P&O do it they will have to include these things to make it attractive.

I think that rather than try and compare with Celebrity's drinls packages it might be more relevant to compare with Princess since they are under the same umbrella. Princess' packages are detailed here:

http://www.princess.com/cruise_vacation_planning/groups/Group_Bar_&_Beverage_Packages.pdf

and have monetary limits to the various drink types.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The source I quoted does say that its ANY drink, still time will tell.

Could it be they mean ANY drink within that package is included? I cannot imagine a package that allows access to absolutely any drink onboard.

Could it be they mean ANY drink within that package is included? I cannot imagine a package that allows access to absolutely any drink onboard.

Would have to have a price limit per drink, surely

This is very interesting as my husband and I were just talking about an all inclusive drinks package and whether it was available on P&O and I said no there are wine packages but nothing all inclusive for drinks and lo and behold we have this thread and looks hopeful that it might happen.

We had included inclusive drinks to a certain level plus wine on our recent Azamara cruise and it was great to just scan the list, have what you wanted on that list and not have to sign a bill! That makes life easy for us and of course if you wanted something extra then you paid for it but was great to get a Zero bill at the end of the cruise and we are not massive drinkers but will drink a bit more on our holidays!

Let's hope this happens and soon! :)

I did a blog post about these packages about 18 months ago. I came down fairly hard against them. On reflection perhaps I overstated the case, but only by a bit. Here's a link.

I think the key thing to remember is that the lines aren't doing customers a favour - it must be to their benefit. That's worth thinking about.

(Costs and limit amounts correct as of 18 months ago.)

Edited by tom_uk

I'm very much in favour of an All Inclusive package and would love it to be in place before my October cruise.

But what would I spend all my OBS on, I've already booked my excursions? ;-)

Yes we have £1000 OBC for our Azura cruise in March. We would have the same dilemma, but I'm sure I'd manage ;)

We would certainly welcome this. Our fortnightly drinks bill is usually in the region of £1000 - £1200 so we would save money. Booked for Adonia Caribbean in February 2016 so lets hope it's in by then!! :D

The TA I booked our Britannia cruise with the other day wasn't aware of anything happening with a drinks package but she did say that as per other cruise lines, you can add it on before the cruise or when you board so we would have to see if it would be worth it per drinks pricing and how much we drink per day :)

• 1 month later...