Question about Travel Documets for upcoming Alaska Cruise on Grand Princess

metsmom

Just wanted to ask some experienced Princess travelers what is the best option for our travel documents on our upcoming Alaska cruise on the Grand Princess on Aug. 17th. At the time we filled out our Cruise Personalizer(March) we did not have passports yet and entered our Birth Certificate and Drivers license info as our documentation. We recently decided to apply for passports even though I know they are not needed for that particular Inside Passage cruise. They came surprisingly fast and we received them today though we only applied 3 weeks ago! Anyway my question is do you think it is best to just leave everything alone on our documentation that is already registered with Princess or edit everything to include our new passports? I read somewhere that during embarkation at Seattle the line is quicker for people with passports as opposed to other forms of ID. Is this true? Any info would be helpful, Thanks!!!!

The line isn't any quicker one way or the other, but since you will be traveling with your new passports, do go ahead and update the PIF online in your Personalizers. Takes a just a few minutes. You can do this up until five business days before the cruise, so it is no big deal to make changes now.

Enter the info. The next time you book with Princess that info will already be in the system so you won't have to enter it again - at least until your passport expires.

You also won't have to drag your birth certificates along on your cruise.

Edited by Thrak

I would think check-in would go quicker just because instead of having two documents to scrutinize (including one [the b/c] that may be unfamiliar in format to the check-in agent, necessitating a slightly longer scrutiny), there will only be one document, and that one a very familiar one in form and appearance to the average agent.

Anyway, you just laid out a hundred bucks for those little blue books -- might as well start getting your money's worth! Plus, passports are a lot more fun to travel with.

I read somewhere that during embarkation at Seattle the line is quicker for people with passports as opposed to other forms of ID. Is this true? Any info would be helpful, Thanks!!!!

There are no separate lines for people with/without passports.

Am I mistaken, but I thought any cruise that stops in Canada requires a passport now? Even if it starts and ends at the same US Port?

I believe so, my TA said to bring Passports because we are going to Canada also.

We were told by Princess(repeatedly!) that because this was called a roundabout cruise from Seattle and back to Seattle passports were not needed. They said it was a good idea but not necessary. I am playing it safe and we are definitely bringing them anyway! Thanks to all you answered my question!:)

We were told by Princess(repeatedly!) that because this was called a roundabout cruise from Seattle and back to Seattle passports were not needed. They said it was a good idea but not necessary. I am playing it safe and we are definitely bringing them anyway! Thanks to all you answered my question!:)

"Closed Loop"

Even though it is a round trip out of Seattle there are some shore excursions that you cannot take unless you have a passport since they cross back into Canada. Go ahead and change the PP now and if you want to buy one of those excursions now you can.

if for some reason you are in a Canadian port and you need to fly home (medical issues or emergency) you will need your passport

Should be no problem, hundreds walk over the US boarder every day. :D