Son got a job and can't go on cruise!

Ali-in-Texas

Did he ask? most places will give you the time off, unpaid of course, if you let them know you had this planned. My son was doing a co-op job and he was able to take the time off. He just didnt get paid for the week.

About changing names? it depends how you booked.

We are less than a month away from our cruise and my son got a job and and can't go. Is it possible to have the name changed to a friend?

What would the charges be?

It really depends on what rate you booked. Generally, a name change can occur for $50, but they may try to hit you with additional charges if the cost of the cruise has gone up or the person traveling doesn't qualify for the rate the cabin is booked. Best thing is to call Carnival and ask.

As the other posted said, I'd check with his employment before doing anything. Some places are very good about giving unpaid time off for family vacations.

I agree, it can't hurt to ask his new employer for the time off unpaid. I got a new job 8 weeks before I got married and needed to take time off for our honeymoon, and they were completely understanding about it.

If you do ask to do a name change, the charges will depend on the code you booked with. You'll need to call and ask.

I would not ask my son to ask for favors at a new job.

Job are hard to come by around here.

Good jobs are extremely rare.

Did you book early saver?

If so, perhaps they will give some credit for him in the future.

Is this one cabin or more than one?

If it is one cabin you may want to figure how much cancelling the son will change your rates.

I would do some math before I changed anything.

Like others have said , depending on how you booked will determine if you can just change names.

But it wouldn't hurt to have son ask about taking the time off, unpaid of course. They say no , oh well go to plan B and call Carnival

We have had a lot of new hires at my place lately , and they are pretty good about granting time off for a long planned vacation or time off for a wedding etc.

There are no name changes allowed. To do that you'd have to cancel you reservation with the 15-29 day penalties and Redbook with the newer probably higher rate. To cancel your son in 15-29 days out you lose 75% or your deposit.

No changes if you booked Early Saver. Other fares allow a change for $50.

Mom came with me one cruise when DH was recovering from the flu. We did it the day before the cruise. Another time she was waiting JIC he wasn't allowed to board (His BC issues, Mom lives an hour from port). We would have changed her that morning but he was allowed to board.

My dad almost cancelled once but he ended up going. My mom didn't want to travel alone so my husband who is like her son agreed to go. To name change was like booking another cruise but to add him as a third to the room was $100 as a third person in a cabin. It was a no brainer. Try that and see if it

Works for you.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

our daughter just accepted a position at a hospital and they were very understanding when she informed them that she would need 9 days off for our family cruise on September 8th.

Have your son ask his new employer about possibly having the time off. What's it going to hurt?

We are less than a month away from our cruise and my son got a job and and can't go. Is it possible to have the name changed to a friend?

It would be only $50 to change the name to a friend.

Unless you booked Early Saver. The process and procedure for putting someone else on your booking is much more complicated and involves cancellation penalties.

I personally think this another case of Carnival being another travel company that uses legal fine print to scam customers to squeeze out more $$$ from them.

Come on, in this tech age, how hard is it to retype in another name for that paid space?

Within one month from cruising, You're already fully paid for that space onboard. So Carnival already has 100% of your money, so why make it so hard for us to make changes?

There are the rules and then you have the customer service rep that wants to help you. I had a similar case on my last vacation and the Carnival person did the name change plus "fees". It cost me $75 total and we said thank you. Bottom line you don't know until you ask.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you purchased insurance, many have a "cancel for work" part to it. It is different from the cancel for any reason which requires purchase very close to the original booking date. I just sailed on the Miracle and bought the insurance 2 weeks before sailing (not through Carnival) and that was one of the things that was covered and the whole reason I bought it! Fortunately I didn't end up needing it!

Did you book online or through a PVP?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are no name changes allowed. To do that you'd have to cancel you reservation with the 15-29 day penalties and Redbook with the newer probably higher rate. To cancel your son in 15-29 days out you lose 75% or your deposit.

I can guarantee you that this is not true. My family is going on the Carnival Dream on August 3rd and just last week, I had to replace my wife with her niece because my wife is very ill and was in the ICU. It cost $50 to do it and I even moved one of my daughters into my room and put my niece in the other room.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck!

Friends of ours had daughter's friend cancel due to new job. There were 4 in cabin and they booked early saver. Outcome was she lost the $50 plus deposit though I think that could be put toward a future cruise within 2 years and the rates for the other three went up by $110 each. Would be cheaper to find a replacement if possible.

I was in the same situation a few years ago. Got a new job after cruise was paid for and beyond cancellation refund date. I explained to the employer and it was no problem. I was fully prepared for either answer since it was my decision to take the job.

On a Princess cruise. Within the last few weeks before the cruise, something came up & my husband could not make it.

I was shocked when I called to ask if my duughter could go instead AND THEY SAID YES.....AND DID NOT CHARGE ME !

Might just depend on the mood of whoever answers the phone....nothing to lose by asking !