Viva Vino Package Questions

phototech11

Anyone have recent knowledge from the Getaway and the Viva Vino package?

Where and when on the Getaway do they sell the package?

Do you pickup all 4, 6 or 8 when you purchase it?

Do they give you all of the bottles to start?

Do you just request a bottle each time you eat at specialty restaurant?

Can you drink more than one of your bottles per day?

Can you take a bottle back to your room?

Do you have to get a bottle at a restaurant or can you get it from any bar?

If we like one bottle over the others can we order another bottle of the same one or are you stuck with the original 6 you selected?

I read there are several tiers of the wine packages if you purchase the top tier are you allowed to chose from another lower tier?

Thanks!!!!

Have purchased the wine package on the Breakaway, think they must offer the same package on all ships.

Sold in the atrium the first night or two, but you can order and Re-order any package at any bar during your entire cruise . Just ask for the wine package order slip and they will give you the selection menu. You fill your choices out and give it and your ship card to them.

You will get slips of paper with your wine selections (4 slips for 4 bottle, 6 for six and so on). You can turn them in for all your bottles to take with, or you can get a few for your cabin and turn a slip in at any restaurant or bar of choice. They will not stop you from drinking more than one bottle per day.

If you choose from the top tier, you can choose from all 3 levels.

I think you could probably exchange a wine you do not like (unopened of course). We have had wine delivered to our cabin (platinum level sparkling wine) that we exchanged for "house wine" at a restaurant. You would exchange for same tier wine.

Have purchased the wine package on the Breakaway, think they must offer the same package on all ships.

Sold in the atrium the first night or two, but you can order and Re-order any package at any bar during your entire cruise . Just ask for the wine package order slip and they will give you the selection menu. You fill your choices out and give it and your ship card to them.

You will get slips of paper with your wine selections (4 slips for 4 bottle, 6 for six and so on). You can turn them in for all your bottles to take with, or you can get a few for your cabin and turn a slip in at any restaurant or bar of choice. They will not stop you from drinking more than one bottle per day.

I think you could probably exchange a wine you do not like (unopened of course). We have had wine delivered to our cabin (platinum level sparkling wine) that we exchanged for "house wine" at a restaurant. You would exchange for same tier wine.

Thanks for the info...

You can buy it from specials desks that are set up, or any bar onboard. And any day, even a day after you leave port. You can get one bottle at a time at a bar or restaurant, or take them all to your room. You can always take a partial bottle, or full glasses to other bars or to your room - with or without the package.

Yes, you can change what you thought you wanted.

can you pre buy it before your cruise?

I have not seen that option, nor would I do it. After all, when you board you might not be in a drinking mood and have changed your mind. Or taking some sort of medicine. Or..... Things happen.

Edited by garycarla

Have been following this thread. Good concise information/answers. Will be sailing POA in March 2015. Would like to know if a corkage fee is an additional charge on each bottle of wine when ordering the Viva Vino Package?

Have been following this thread. Good concise information/answers. Will be sailing POA in March 2015. Would like to know if a corkage fee is an additional charge on each bottle of wine when ordering the Viva Vino Package?

No, the beauty of purchasing this package is, it's got a nice choice of wine and while there is a gratuity added, there's no corkage fee.

PS here's the pdf for poa https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/WineList_POA_05132014.pdf

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by All-ready2cruise
ps

Corkage is only charged for bottles that you bring onboard, not on bottles that you buy onboard.

Would VAT tax also be added to this package on the Epic in the Mediterrean? If so' date=' is it 10%?[/quote']

On checking my invoices for both our Epic trip from Barcelona and our Jade trip from Venice, there is a price difference in the Viva Vino package that wouldn't account for a rise in price of the actual PACKAGE so I'm assuming I paid VAT on the package on the Epic. I had heard somewhere ( probably here on CC ) that VAT for Spain was now 15% but not sure!

Found this on another thread....

Spanish 10% IVA tax is applicable to all bar purchases, select dining cover charges and room service charges when in Spanish waters only.

Spanish 21% IVA tax is applicable to purchases made in the on board shops, photo gallery and products purchased in the spa (excluding treatments and services) when the cruise starts from a Spanish port

Edited by meltingmoments
Found additional info

Yes. As it doesn't leave the EU you pay VAT everywhere.

When the Epic does it's new itineraries next winter (i.e. to the Canaries) it won't be charged on some of them, but on the Barcelona, Naples, Rome, Livorno etc route you pay VAT all week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by KeithJenner

Yes. As it doesn't leave the EU you pay VAT everywhere.

When the Epic does it's new itineraries next winter (i.e. to the Canaries) it won't be charged on some of them, but on the Barcelona, Naples, Rome, Livorno etc route you pay VAT all week.

Good info to have, thanks!

The NEW and IMPROVED UBP now includes more drinks than before - therefore

is should cover most everything YMMV by exotic multiple liquor drinks ?

Regarding the fees and gratuities - the UBP goes for $54 a day/nite if bought

in advance of sailing - bought on board it is $59. Now the catch 22 gitcha-gotcha

factor add the 15% to that for $54 + $8.10 for $62.10 a day/nite pp with

everyone in your cabin also paying the rate -

For a 7 day cruise that breaks down to $869.40 based on 2 persons in a cabin.

$54 x 2 (108) x 7 (756) + 15% (113.40) = $869.40

Seriously consider buying the beverages on a drink by drink basis unless you

really really want to tie one on and be poured everywhere on the ship !

Or another way to look at it at 6 high end drinks you start coming out ahead.

5 x $10 a drink = $50 + 15% grat = $57.50 on losing end - $4.60

6 x $10 a drink = $60 + 15% grat = $69.00 now coming out ahead - $6.90

Also consider wine by the glass and bottled beer are priced less than high end/proof

drinks and also factor in the soda package included with the UBP for mixers etc.

As for VAT tax applied in Europe I do not have any idea how this works maybe

one of our esteemed European cruisers will have the facts. I believe that it applies

to cruises with ports in the Mediterranean and not so much Baltic North Sea trips.

Does the total cost of the UBP that is listed on the NCL site include all gratuity, taxes and VAT?

Also does the drink cost have to be under $10 before or after all the added fees?

We are leaving on the Getaway on 8/2.

All prices quoted by NCL exclude gratuities, Taxes and VAT (which is a tax). Therefore, the cost for the UBP is before those costs and I believe the $10 limit is also before them.

If you pre purchase the UBP then you will may avoid some taxis. This is certainly the case with the VAT on those cruises in Europe where it is charged all cruise. On other cruises you may get charged tax if you buy the UBP when in port, but this can be avoided by prepaying or waiting until the ship has sailed.

As this thread is about Viva Vino, I should say that beer and wine drinkers have a much harder job making the UBP (or corks and caps) pay. You have drink about two bottles of wine a day to break even.