Maasdam - Boston sightseeing?

Aldine

My flight arrives in Boston at 10am but my cruise doesn't depart until 4pm. Is that enough time to see a bit of Boston? I've never been before and would love to see it. If so, what is the best way to get into Boston (and then back to the terminal) and where can I put my luggage while I'm touring around?

That sounds like a lot of time, but it really isn't.

By the time your plane arrives at the gate, everyone deplanes, you get to baggage claim and your luggage (hopefully) comes out, you've already used 30-45 minutes; it's going on 11:00 AM. Apparently you're not using a HAL transfer, so you need to get a cab and head to the pier. By now, check-in has started, and boarding will begin in a few minutes. Let's say you're on board by noon. You have to be back for muster drill, which would be about 3:15 for a 4:00 sail-away, so let's say back on board about 3:00.

That's three hours to tour.

You still will want to get something to eat, and will need to unpack.

You would have time to catch a cab over to Quincy Marketplace, and walk around. People-watching there is a fun sport, especially on Saturday in nice weather.

Next time plan to come in a day or two early, or stay after the cruise ends. Boston has a lot to see.

What Ruth said. Arriving at 11, you won't have time to see much of Boston. Boarding begins at 11. Boston is a fabulous city...when I was single, I was fortunate enough to live there for 6 years. If I were you, I would plan to arrive a day or two pre-cruise.

I agree, that's not enough time. Coming in a day or two early is the way to go. However, not everyone can.

We sailed out of Boston last September. We arrived early, early (before the sun was up) and had friends meet us. They took us on a sunrise drive around Boston and we stopped for a quick breakfast on the way to the Museum of Science to catch the Duck Tour. Afterwards, we walked a bit of the Freedom Trail to Bunker Hill, Old Ironsides, Old North Church. We then took the MTA back to the museum to get the car and they drove us to the ship. We arrived there around 2:00. Yes, it was a packed day, but we did get to see some stuff.

We have plans to go to Boston for an extended stay at some point. Unfortunately, we couldn't do it prior to our cruise.

If it were me I would take a cab to The Four Seasons hotel for lunch at the Bristol Lounge. After lunch I would walk across the street to the Public Gardens for a swan boat ride. You'll get in some great people watching at a nice relaxed pace while absorbing some of our local vibe, all doable within a three hour window.

If it were me I would take a cab to The Four Seasons hotel for lunch at the Bristol Lounge. After lunch I would walk across the street to the Public Gardens for a swan boat ride. You'll get in some great people watching at a nice relaxed pace while absorbing some of our local vibe, all doable within a three hour window.

I still haven't gotten over their closing Aujourd 'hui. That was always our 'celebration' restaurant and their Sunday Brunch was wonderful. :)

I agree with the others, OP, that you really don't have as much time as it seems.

If you wanted to ask your taxi driver (if that is your transportation) to do a brief ride around so you could get a glimpse of such things as Bunker Hill Monument, Paul Revere House/North End, Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market, ride down Newbury Street, a ride around the edges of Boston Common/Public Gardens, USS Constitution..... any or all of the above. It would cost a bit but you might get a little flavor of the city. Boston is not a huge city so you could see a bit especially if it is a Saturday and there is no business traffic.

Edited by sail7seas

Boston is SUCH a fabulous city! Our son went to college there and in our twice a year visits over 4 years we NEVER saw everything we wanted to. Please don't try to do it in 4 hours...come in a day early or plan a separate trip here...if you can. You won't regret it! :)

A bit off-topic, but if you have the flexibility could you consider flying in the day before, spend the night, and get a taste of a truly beautiful city. Barring that, the suggestion that you get a taxi to take you around to see some of the sights on your way to the pier -- is probably the best. On a 10:00 AM arrival, you are unlikely to get out of Logan until about 11:00 - and even thugh it is a short hop to Black Falcon, you would get there just about the right time for boarding, after which you would not have time to leave, get into town, see anything, and get back to the ship. So, taking an extra hour or two seeing a bit of the town in a taxi on the way to the pier, while not ideal, is the only practical way to see anything.

I agree with the majority that this is not enough time to see much of Boston. Theoretically, you could check your luggage at the pier and snag a cab (with the folks still getting off the ship) back into Boston. Maybe, you would have two hours. We had a similar schedule. We arrived at the pier at 10:15 and thought about going back to Boston. Decided to hang around and were on the ship before noon. Had lunch and a leisurely afternoon.

While it's true that you don't have enough time for a 'proper' tour, I think there is a better solution than just hailing a cab.

Contact a livery service and have a car pick you up from the airport. The limo parking areas are now more conveniently located near the baggage carousels. It would be easier to know that a driver was there waiting for you, fully understanding that you would like a 'scenic' ride to Black Falcon Terminal, and far more comfortable as well.

My family and friends find Veterans Livery to provide efficient and comfortable service to and from the airport. Their number is 781-843-6000, or you can look around for other car services.

Enjoy your trip!

:D

First, have a great trip!

Second, Boston is the worst for getting anywhere of all the East Cost Metropolises. No matter where you go, there's about fifty billion folks also going where you're going. There have been times in Boston that I've gone down a street that ended facing one way traffic! How's that happen?!:confused::D

Even a Gandhi lost his mind when trying to drive in Boston! ;)

If you want a good and proper tour, get there a day early so you're not facing the congestion and getting to the ship on time. That way you're chilly relaxed on cruise day and get to see the wonders of Boston.

Derek